If you love big, soft, chewy, and chocolate-y chocolate chip cookies, look no further. I am determined that this is the *ultimate* chocolate chip cookie (CCC) recipe. You’re welcome.
A few housekeeping tips before I share the recipe:
- You must preheat your oven and position the rack in the middle.
- Eggs should be a room temperature. Simply set them on the counter 3-4 hours ahead of time.
- If you are lactose-intolerant or allergic to dairy, substitute butter with Crisco butter-flavored baking sticks and milk chocolate chips with cacao chips instead. Enjoy Life is an excellent alternative and free of eight of the most common allergens.
- Mix the batter until all ingredients are combined, but don’t over-mix either.
- To ensure cookies don’t stick to the baking sheet, use parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- These cookies are large and they spread so don’t overcrowd the balls of dough on the baking sheet.
- Allow cookies to cool at least 5 (preferably 10) minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- I like cookies that are uniform in size so I use a cookie scoop or, in this case, an ice cream scooper. I like *big* chocolate chip cookies!
12 Tablespoons (one and a half sticks) butter, melted and cooled
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk, room temperature
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups + 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 bag of milk chocolate chips or chunks, preferably Ghiradelli
Preheat oven to 325 degrees and position rack in the middle.
In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
In a large bowl (or stand mixer), combine melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar on medium speed. Carefully add one egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Mix for 1-2 minutes until light and creamy. With a spatula, scrape down sides and add flour mixture and chocolate chips. Mix on slow speed until well combined.
Using an ice cream scoop, drop balls of dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mats. *I can fit 8 balls of dough on a large baking sheet.
Bake 18-22 minutes until lightly golden brown and soft in the center. Remove from oven and let sit 5-10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Store in an airtight container and enjoy!
Yields: 18-20 *big* cookies