2016 Word of the Year: BALANCE

If you have followed this blog for any length of time, you know I’m a big fan of goals. You can read my 2016 Resolutions list here. I’ve never selected a word to focus on but one came to me this morning and it was as if God himself whispered the word. I was busy, trying to multi-task when it came to me. I was reading Genesis and the Creation narratives while trying to keep Kamden out of my pens and markers and avoid stepping on toy trucks in my path. Husband was telling me about farm equipment his oldest brother wants to sell on Craigslist. The microwave timer was beeping reminding me to take lunch out of the oven. My phone was ringing but I couldn’t find it. (My phone was under the couch cushion!) I was being pulled in every direction. I was out of sync. I was busy doing lots of things, but none of them well.

My word for 2016 is ….

2016 Word of the Year - Nicole @ Three 31

BALANCE.

Merriam-Webster designates balance as both a noun and a verb, which I find very interesting, and offers several definitions. My favorite (at least for this context) is the state in which different things occur in equal or proper amounts or have an equal or proper amount of importance.

In 2016, I want balance. In all things and ways, I want to balance my spiritual and physical health, my role as wife, mother, and friend, and maintain a sense of wonder and joy.

I want to find balance, be balanced, and, perhaps, even offer a little piece of balance for someone else.

Balance doesn’t have to be a solitary island – I’d like to spend as much time with loved ones as I do by myself to pray, write, and be.

I want to apply God’s Word in my daily life as much as I read and study it. I need intentional prayer with my Creator as much as casual conversations.

I want balance instead of perceived perfection, especially with my health. I will eat more fruits and vegetables while allowing the occasional splurge. And I will make sure my sedentary days are balanced with really active ones.

I want balance in relationships. I will nurture the genuine friendships I have and appreciate them fully, while I eliminate the ones that weigh me down.

I will love on Husband as often as I laugh at his playfulness.

For every minute I spend on social media, I will disconnect from all forms of technology and electronics.

I will balance structure with reckless abandonment, especially with Kamden. I will encourage him to play and imagine!

I want this blog to be balanced with faith and family. And I will post more consistently too.

For every book I read on Kindle, I want to read a paper one with pages I have to turn. Speaking of books, I want to read genres that I’ve previously stayed away from. I love a good romance or something that challenges me spiritually, but I need something different to my reading list. Suggestions?

For every electronic message I send, I will mail a handwritten note.

I want to balance on-the-fly dinner creations with structured meal planning.

I will balance laziness with productiveness, hopefully this means my house will stay clutter-free and ready for impromptu guests.

2016 is poised to be a really great year and I’m excited to see what the future holds. I have a feeling it’ll be balanced between mundane and shenanigans!

Here’s to being more balanced. 🙂

By |2016-01-04T08:00:10+00:00January 4th, 2016|Uncategorized|11 Comments

11 Comments

1. Celeste January 4, 2016 at 8:55 am - Reply

When I want literary crack, I turn to the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanavich. There are 22 but they do not have to be read in order. Hilarity!

I could use a bit of balance. We’ll help support one another! 😊

• Nicole January 4, 2016 at 9:11 am - Reply

Sweet Friend, I missed you yesterday and my day was a little chaotic and “off” because I wasn’t in my usual routine – I didn’t teach the Sunday AM session of Believe and I had to leave church a little early because AE and I went to Salado for Baby E’s baptism. It was a beautiful day, all in all, but I hated having to skip church early and say goodbye to the girls. They served Communion, lovely as always, and service was amazing. Miss you! Love you! Have a wonderful week …… be balanced and find balance and remember I wuv wu!!!!!

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 8:55 AM, Three 31 wrote:

2. lifewithyou1222 January 4, 2016 at 11:19 am - Reply

That is a great word and I think one that I definitely need to apply more as well. My word for the year is “hope.” 🙂

• Nicole January 4, 2016 at 1:14 pm - Reply

Ohhhh, I love the word “hope” too! Best of luck as you find hope, be hope, and share hope with others!!!!

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Three 31 wrote:

3. Julie January 4, 2016 at 12:39 pm - Reply

I love this word and all the ways you are planning to apply it to your world. My word last year was “shine” and I have to tell you….most of the year it was just a little flicker. I thought about choosing a new word, but couldn’t quite give up on it yet, so I am ginging it one more chance……hopefully I can knock it out of the ballpark this year!!!!!

• Nicole January 4, 2016 at 1:14 pm - Reply

You shine in way more ways than you credit yourself. I was shiny at the gym this morning, does that count?! HA

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 12:39 PM, Three 31 wrote:

4. Regina January 4, 2016 at 1:36 pm - Reply

It’s SO powerful to choose and focus on ONE word. Check this out – http://oneword365.com/ – the accountability and support really helps.

My word this year is: Receive

• Nicole January 4, 2016 at 2:03 pm - Reply

Hey sweet lady! Thanks for the encouragement and great resource, I’ll definitely check it out. I love, love, LOVE your word “receive.” That’s powerful. I’m thinking of how easy I give compliments and praise yet I’m the world’s worst at receiving them. Wow, you’ve knocked my socks off with this one. Praying for you and hope your year is fantastic. We’ve got to get together sooooooooooooooon. 🙂

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Three 31 wrote:

5. Tawni Sattler January 4, 2016 at 4:35 pm - Reply

This is so great! Thanks for sharing! xo

• Nicole January 4, 2016 at 4:51 pm - Reply

Thank you! I’m looking forward to 2016 …… and all the balance I can find!

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 4:35 PM, Three 31 wrote:

6. katie January 5, 2016 at 10:01 am - Reply

Love your word of the year! 🙂 I love choosing them and focusing on one word all year long and seeing how God helps me really live it out!