30 Days of Manna // Day 16

30 Days of Manna

Are you busy?

I know, such a silly question to ask because who isn’t busy these days?

As a kid, I don’t remember time going so quickly. Perhaps I was too busy playing and enjoying my childhood (pun intended!) instead of worrying about being a good wife/mom/friend, keeping the house clean, paying bills, folding laundry, preparing meals, or getting to the gym for a workout. Ironically, it seems my priorities were more in tune to God’s will as a child than they are now in adulthood. Hmm.

But, thankfully, Jesus understands the ‘busy culture’ in which I live and offers something incredible.

Meanwhile the disciples were urging Him, saying, “Rabbi, eat.” But He said to them, “I have food to eat that you do not know about.” So the disciples were saying to one another, “No one brought Him anything to eat, did he?” Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me and to accomplish His work.” ~ John 4:31-35 (New American Standard Version)

While the disciples were worried about Jesus’s physical body and whether or not he ate, Jesus was interested in the kind of food only his Heavenly Father could provide.

Jesus did not get consumed by to-do lists, Post-It note reminders on the fridge, or his next meal … and He doesn’t want me to get consumed by these things either.

Since January, a particular pattern has formed in my late-night routine. After Kamden and Husband have gone to bed and the noises of toddlerhood and adult life have quietened, I tuck myself away from distractions and into the guest bedroom where I have a desk, reading lamp, and high-back chair. Some nights, I read my Bible or devotional book. Other nights, I write or illustrate in my Journaling Bible. There are even nights where I simply sit and soak in the awesomeness of God’s presence through prayer or soft music.

I need this quiet time. I need something that food or busyness cannot provide: an authentic relationship with the Lord.

Jesus defined his food as doing the will of God and accomplishing His work. Though his response was confusing to the disciples, Jesus offers a strong lesson to them (and me):

God does not want to be just something else in my life, He wants to be my everything.

By |2015-06-16T07:00:06+00:00June 16th, 2015|30 Days of Manna|0 Comments

1. Celeste June 16, 2015 at 7:11 am - Reply

Do not let your hiding place go- ever. In your solace is likely where you find YOU in Him.

• Nicole June 16, 2015 at 7:55 am - Reply

Truer words never spoken, my friend. Can I get an amen? AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! p.s. thanks for joining me at yoga yesterday – it was tons of fun! Husband made a smarky comment about us though, “Did you two gaggle like geese or actually be quiet and do yoga?” AS IF. I don’t know what this man is talking about, we don’t gaggle. Ever. Maybe a little. Okay, maybe a lot. But we were GOOD yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 7:11 AM, Three 31 wrote:

2. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin June 16, 2015 at 6:06 pm - Reply

I have my space and time in the morning… prayer… coffee… talking to cat… and reading…
    I wouldn’t trade anything for it!

• Nicole June 17, 2015 at 8:09 am - Reply

I love it, Marilyn! Does your cat ever talk back? I know it sounds strange, but my great-grandmother, whose name was Nell (or Nellie), had a cat that meowed but I SWEAR it sounded like he was saying “Nell.” Strange but true!

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 6:06 PM, Three 31 wrote:

• babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin June 18, 2015 at 7:14 am - Reply

Jill says NOW!… outside… and actually talks using all kinds of different “meows”… I have heard “Marilyn”… and Especially “get up NOW!” believe it or not… I know it’s true!

3. Julie June 18, 2015 at 8:28 am - Reply

My brain is constantly going in 5 million directions. I will think that I am focused on something and then out of nowhere….SQUIRREL!!!!! Very frustrating and why I am fairly certain I only make serious progress on my scrapbooks when I go on a retreat and seclude myself from everything that distracts me.

• Nicole June 18, 2015 at 8:33 am - Reply

You. Are. Not. Alone. squirrel!!!!!!

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 8:28 AM, Three 31 wrote:

• Julie June 18, 2015 at 8:34 am - Reply

This was supposed to be on the previous post…..see, I am a mess!!!! Anyway, this evening quiet time needs to be incorporated into my life for sure. One of my biggest struggles in the evening is winding down and getting to bed by 9:30. It doesn’t seem like it would be hard, but it is a constant battle for me. If I am not on the road to sleep by then, I struggle because of my insane wake up time…..I am working on it though, and quiet time before bed sounds like the perfect wind down!!!!

• Nicole June 18, 2015 at 8:40 am - Reply

You make me laugh, I love it. A 9:30 bedtime, that’s when I feel like my day is just beginning! By that time, Kamden is in bed for the night, I’ve showered and washed my face, and head to my sanctuary in the guest room. If I wasn’t such a writer, doodler, etc., I could do this in bed. But then I think of 841 things I want to do online, so I grab the laptop. It’s an evil, vicious cycle.

On a completelyyyyyy different note, the fourth “50” book is out today. I started reading it last night, it’s from Christian’s perspective, and I swear it’s the movie all over again. It’s going to have to step up in awesome factor before I start giving it rave reviews. I’m still fuming over that movie, ugh!!!!!

Hugs, Nicole

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 8:34 AM, Three 31 wrote:

• Julie June 18, 2015 at 8:52 am - Reply

If the book stinks, I just don’t think that I can take it….tell me it isn’t so!!!! The movie is still mind boggling to me and for all the women out there that thought Jamie Dornan was the cat’s meow, I say are you people blind. He is just not that hot and don’t even get me started on his acting ability. UGH!!!!!