Monday Musings

Every Monday, I will TRY to post whatever is on my mind (consider it a smorgasbord of thoughts and randomness) as a way to clear my head and prepare for the week ahead. By doing so, I hope to calm the chaos and organize the scattered. Cheers to 2015 and blessings to you!

monday musings

I’m typing this post at 12:41am and intently watching the monitor screen in hopes that our teething toddler gets a decent night’s rest. Between seasonal allergies and three more teeth poking through his gums, Kamden’s happy-go-lucky world has been out of sorts for the past 24 hours. He was fine Friday and Saturday, when we were in East Texas visiting Husband’s parents and oldest brother, but as soon as we got home, the sneezing, coughing, and fountains of snot began. Welcome to Central Texas where mountain cedar (juniper tree) reigns.

Since starting The Story study with my small group at church, I’ve never been more excited to read The Bible on a daily basis. In addition to the weekly study materials, I am also completing a Bible reading challenge each day.  At the rate I’m currently going, I think I’ll finish reading the Bible before the end of the year.

#BibleJournaling

I’ve recently been introduced to the world of Bible journaling. If you’ve never heard of it, this is a great place to start. Or here. Or here. There is A LOT of material on Pinterest and I apologize to all of my followers for blowing up your main page with my obsessive pinning yesterday afternoon and evening. Kamden took a short nap and Mommy went pinning! I purchased a new Bible (the ESV translation) that is a journaling Bible because the font type is smaller and both of the margins are blank. And, because I’m a nerd-dork, I also bought extra-fine pens and colored pencils. I don’t consider myself artsy-fartsy and I certainly don’t think I’m artistic, but this Bible journaling concept is really interesting and I want to learn some tricks and techniques. I joined a Facebook group for moral support and inspiration and look forward to what I create as I deepen my spiritual discipleship by reading God’s Word. If you are a Bible journal-er, please, please, PLEASE share anything and everything with me. I am the village idiot and newbie all wrapped up in one package. It’s easy to get overwhelmed and intimidated by the vast amount of talent on Pinterest and Facebook, but I’m determined to see others’ work as inspiration instead of competition. Here’s my first attempt at Bible Journaling:

#BibleJournaling

I still have some doodling left to do, but, overall, I’m satisfied. My earth (globe) has a lot to be desired, but an artist I am NOT! Thanks to some research and insight from another journal-er nearby, there is a craft store in Keller that hosts Bible Journaling classes and workshops. If I get brave, I might attend one.

Blessings to you, dear reader, and happy Monday. If you’re wondering where my meal planning post was yesterday, I forgot about it. Honestly, I’m not so sure about this meal planning business. Husband, bless his pasta-loving heart, still has spaghetti in the fridge from last week (I told you we like leftovers!) and he bought a ton of barbeque yesterday before we watched the Super Bowl. (Obvious question: what was your favorite commercial? I always look forward to Budweiser’s Clydesdale horses but Coca-Cola really did it for me with their social media and anti-bullying campaign. Kudos to them for a powerful, poignant message applicable to so many people!:)

By |2015-02-02T07:05:59+00:00February 2nd, 2015|Uncategorized|0 Comments

1. aimee February 2, 2015 at 7:26 am - Reply

I have seen this and love it! Good job. I think yours came out perfect.

• Nicole February 2, 2015 at 7:49 am - Reply

Thanks, Aimee! I had never heard of #BibleJournaling until a couple weeks ago but it truly is an amazing piece of worship, if one chooses it to be. I’ve always written in all of my books, especially my Bible, so doodling is a natural next step. I’m not very good but I think any time spent in God’s Word is a blessing. 🙂

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 7:26 AM, Three 31 wrote:

2. rosemondcates February 2, 2015 at 7:52 am - Reply

I have another friend who does this as well! Beautiful!

Rosemond

• Nicole February 2, 2015 at 7:57 am - Reply

Thanks so much, Rosemond! Some of the creations that some people make are so amazing they’re overwhelming, but I’m using their work as inspiration instead of competition. I’m looking forward to 2015 and seeing how my journaling Bible, and its margins, fill up. Should be interesting!!!!

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 7:52 AM, Three 31 wrote:

3. princessmousey February 2, 2015 at 8:16 am - Reply

Beautiful! I have shared. Coming by from TXWB. Your friend & lots of love, Lisa

• Nicole February 2, 2015 at 9:48 am - Reply

Thank you, Lisa, and welcome! I’m glad to have found another TXWB too, what a great community. 🙂

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 8:16 AM, Three 31 wrote:

4. Kaylee (@DR_Daydreams) February 2, 2015 at 9:32 am - Reply

I love it! I got my first Journaling Bible for Christmas and I still haven’t touched it. I’m a little nervous 🙂

• Nicole February 2, 2015 at 10:13 am - Reply

Kaylee, I totally understand! I was the kid in school who, if I messed up something, I’d get a brand new sheet of paper and start over. I can’t really do that with a Bible, you know?! But, I sketched my “design” with pencil and let the Spirit lead me. I’m not artistic but figured I could manage a half-decent sun and rainbow. I have so much to learn! Once you start, please share. Also, there is a fabulous Facebook group that has been really supportive and welcoming and encouraging, despite having A LOT of talent. If you haven’t already, join the *Journaling Bible Community * and be inspired!

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 9:32 AM, Three 31 wrote:

5. Jacquelyn February 2, 2015 at 1:05 pm - Reply

Nicole, you are always opening a new window for me. I never heard of bible journaling until now but am really interested! So yes, I will be following you and your progress while letting my spirit lead me too! Thanks for sharing your Monday musings and being an inspiration to us all.

6. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin February 2, 2015 at 2:29 pm - Reply

My cousin just brought this to my attention…and has sent my Daughter-in-law one for the passing of her dad…Love the concept!

7. Julie February 3, 2015 at 8:17 am - Reply

Ummm, girl, I beg to differ – you are artistic! I love your doodling and then there is your handwriting….FABULOUS!!!!!!!

• Nicole February 3, 2015 at 8:51 am - Reply

But YOUUUUUUUUUUU have amazing handwriting too. I still have your note taped on the fridge. It’s a lovely reminder every day, multiple times of the day, of how blessed I am. You. Are. A. Doll. And I cannot wait for our dinner and movie in a couple of weeks so I can hug yo skinny neck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 8:17 AM, Three 31 wrote: