Finish This #27

WELCOME TO WEEK 27 OF FINISH THIS … your co-hosts are LISA (COASTLINED), JEN (The Arizona Russums), BECKY (The Java Mama) and NICOLE (Three 31). The link up instructions are simple: answer the prompts in a post on your blog. Then, add the post to the collection list using the link below. Next week’s prompts are located at the bottom of this post.

FINISHTHIS.linkupbutton

1. For July 4, I celebrated by …
Spending the day with Husband, Kamden, and my in-laws and, later that evening, had dinner with friends. This year, Fourth of July also included the great LEMON PIE DISASTER. I had made lemon cakes before, but I had in my mind that lemon PIE was Husband’s favorite dessert. So, being the Wonderful Wife I am, I went through family heirloom cookbooks, talked to several matriarchs with stellar baking abilities, and combined three treasured recipes for the perfect SURPRISE gift for Husband’s birthday. Even though I could not eat the pie (as it was full of rich and creamy milk products), I was really proud of how it turned out. It was definitely Southern Living magazine material. But, when I revealed my surprise and Husband said, “I don’t like lemon pie, I like lemon cake.” my heart sank. WHAT?!?!?! I picked my jaw up off the floor, disappointed of course, but served it anyway. Husband’s parents and oldest brother LOVED the pie and raved about its deliciousness. I sent it home with them, along with the tub of Cool Whip I forgot to serve in all my excitement. Rumor has it the pie did not last until lunch the following day. Despite Husband’s reaction, at least I know I have a successful lemon pie recipe in my arsenal if I need one in the future. To redeem myself as an awesome and amazing wife, and to comfort my bruised ego, I made Husband a lemon CAKE for his birthday, which was Sunday. He doesn’t like icing or glazes, so I simply made him a lemon cake. Nothing fancy, nothing elaborate, just a few essential baking ingredients and the juice of two lemons. The cake turned out beautifully and Husband was a happy camper on his birthday.

lemoncake

2. My go-to cosmetic product is …
30 SPF sunscreen. I wear it, religiously, every single day. I was 21 when a dermatologist removed a mole off my back he suspected to be melanoma. Thankfully, lab results came back negative but it was a HUGE wake up call for my idiotic self. I wore sunscreen as a small child but during my teens being tan was cool and it was inevitable as a competitive golfer. I admit, I used to spend time in tanning beds too. Playing golf all day every day and rarely, if ever, wearing sunscreen took a toll on my body at a very young age. I had an awesome tan but, in the long run, it was incredibly stupid of me to risk skin cancer, especially with my family’s history. Nowadays, I’m as white as Casper the Ghost and I don’t mind at all. It breaks my heart to see women (especially young girls) use tanning beds because I know, first hand, the danger they are putting themselves in. Public Service Announcement: WEAR SUNSCREEN — EVERY DAY, ALL YEAR LONG!

3. I am inspired by …
women. Black, white, rich, poor, Christian, Muslim, married, single, corporate ladder climber, mother, short, tall, fat, skinny, it doesn’t matter to me! I’m inspired by women who, in their own way and along their own life path, inspire and encourage me to be a better woman, wife, mother, friend and human being.

4. The best relationship advice I received was …
never date someone you wouldn’t marry. I was six years old when my great-grandmother, Nannie Edwards, told this one-liner to my older cousins but I took the advice to heart! Husband is the one and only guy I’ve dated and I knew, immediately, that he was The One. I took Nannie’s words quite literally and did not waste my time with a guy I wouldn’t marry. I knew what I wanted and I waited, ever so impatiently at times, for our paths to cross. And boy what a ride it has been!

5. When no one is around, I tend to …
eat. A lot. It’s no secret I’m an emotional eater. If I’m happy, I want to eat. If I’m sad, I want to eat. To me, food is love and one of my “love languages” is to love myself, and others, through sustenance. Unfortunately, I don’t always eat for nourishment. One of my biggest struggles is portion control and stopping when I’m full. I eat every meal like it’s my last, as if I’ll never eat again. The struggle is real, folks.

Now it’s your turn. Answer these prompts in a post on your own blog and join the link up! Come back next Wednesday for another round of Finish This where we’ll answer the prompts below!

Prompts for WEEK 28 (July 16) are:
The only thing standing between me and ____ is
I don’t have to be perfect to be
I would improve ____ by

By |2014-07-09T03:52:09+00:00July 9th, 2014|Finish This|0 Comments

1. Emily Humphries July 9, 2014 at 7:22 am - Reply

Total white girl here! I totally glow in the dark and wear sunscreen all the time. I do not care and never have. I don’t tan and it’s so not worth it to me. And I also think I may need your lemon pie recipe! Love lemon pie!

• Nicole July 9, 2014 at 3:47 pm - Reply

I’ll have to share the recipe then!!!!

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 7:22 AM, Three 31 wrote:

2. aimeed23 July 9, 2014 at 7:26 am - Reply

Oh I could seriously direct that PSA! Who do I talk to, to create one! It kills me to see young folks look older than me because of their love a golden skin that soon looks like dark leather.
    I share your gma’s relationship advice and it is smart advice I have always given my daughter.. She would date these morons and I’d be like… why would you date him… you certainly don’t see him as the marrying type and the type that would be a daddy for your daughter.. her response.. well, I’m just having fun! UGH.. that’s how you get pregnant!

• Nicole July 9, 2014 at 3:49 pm - Reply

Yeah, I don’t have patience for morons ….. then or now! I can find other ways to have fun and entertain myself without wasting time on someone who is Mister Right Now rather than Mister Forever. No thanks!!!

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 7:26 AM, Three 31 wrote:

3. Ruthie Hart (@ruthiehart1) July 9, 2014 at 10:01 am - Reply

Totally agree with don’t date people you wouldn’t marry! I always tell my little sister this…. everyone is a potential marriage partner so why waste your time if they don’t meet your husband criteria!

• Nicole July 9, 2014 at 3:51 pm - Reply

Sets your expectations high, Baby Sister! I’m a little (okay, a lot) pea green with envy of your baby sister. I mean, how cool would it be to call RUTHIE your sister?! And Ford is your nephew? Umm, hello! 🙂

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Three 31 wrote:

4. Amber Albright July 9, 2014 at 12:41 pm - Reply

I took a break from my blog this week! But totally wish I would wear MORE sunscreen than I do. And I’m a total emotional eater as well. Sometimes I binge, which I probably should admit that out loud. LOL!

• Nicole July 9, 2014 at 3:53 pm - Reply

Preach it, Sister. I definitely encourage you to wear sunscreen, make it a habit like brushing your teeth or applying deodorant! I’m right there with you on the emotional eating. I also eat out of boredom. It’s not that I don’t have enough to occupy my time, but if I have a minute to grab something and put it in my mouth, I usually do. Soooooooo bad!!!!!!

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Three 31 wrote:

5. Nina Beana July 9, 2014 at 1:17 pm - Reply

Oh girl – I hear you on the emotional eating! I finally had to (and still do) tell myself that I can always eat the ice cream/cookies/rest of the pizza/whatever else tomorrow. It will always be an option tomorrow and the next day, etc etc and I do not HAVE TO EAT IT RIGHT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW.

Also, please come to Chicago. I’ll take you to Which Wich, you can teach me the secrets, and then we will have an awesome time.

• Nicole July 9, 2014 at 3:54 pm - Reply

Oh my word, but what if that food is gone tomorrow?! HAHAHAHAHA I mean, obviously, I look like I’m starving and every morsel of food might be my last. (insert sarcastic expression)

Girl, I love, love, LOVE Chicago!!!!! My mom and aunt just got back from a week there. I was so jealous. It’s a date, you and me, in Chicago, and we’ll eat our Which Wich on Navy Pier. SCORE!!!!!!!!

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Three 31 wrote:

6. vannesskl July 9, 2014 at 2:19 pm - Reply

Confession – At (almost) 35 years old, I still do not wear sunscreen. Never have. Argh. It’s terrible, I know. The only place you might ever catch me putting it on is on the part of my head or on my ears. I will regret it one day I’m sure! I L-O-V-E the Lemon Pie story. Although my bruised ego would NEVER have made that lemon cake in a million years. You are such a good wife! OOhh I had heard that dating advice in my dating days and although I don’t think I remembered it back then, looking at my history of guys I dated, I believe I typically followed it! Fun answers this week!!!

• Nicole July 9, 2014 at 3:55 pm - Reply

Oh sweet friend, please wear sunscreen. It’s THAT important!

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Three 31 wrote:

7. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin July 9, 2014 at 6:42 pm - Reply

sorry…not a sunscreen wearer either…but, love lemon pie…and I think you are great for baking the cake…It was his BIRTHDAY!…
    When I started to just date for fun…is when I met my Bobby who I’ve been married to for 45 years!

• Nicole July 9, 2014 at 8:20 pm - Reply

Girl, you should MOST DEFINITELY be wearing sunscreen! I think after all the feedback today, I’ll have to share the lemon pie recipe, maybe the cake too. 45 years is AMAZING, congratulations to you two!!!!

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 6:42 PM, Three 31 wrote:

8. […] Finish This #27 […]

9. Angie Agerter July 13, 2014 at 9:07 pm - Reply

I am coming back – grabbing this next week and doing it RIGHT now. I have missed this so much!

Sunscreen is so important. And its easy to forget 🙁
    Thankful your mole was okay!

• Nicole July 13, 2014 at 9:49 pm - Reply

Angie, I’ve missed you …. glad you’re coming back to the dark side, I mean, the link-up!!!!!! Big hugs. 🙂

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 9:07 PM, Three 31 wrote: