Finish This #11

Hey, it’s Week 11 of Finish This! If you’re new here, welcome. This link-up is hosted by LISA (COASTLINED), JEN (The Arizona Russums), BECKY (The Java Mama) and I.  If you’ve joined us before, thanks for returning and be sure you add your post to the link-up. If you don’t have a blog, don’t fret. Answer the prompts in a comment. Next week’s prompts are provided at the bottom of this post.

FinishThis--SMALL

1. When I need help with life’s mysteries, I turn to
Husband, as he’s a pretty smart guy and wise counterpart. Even if he doesn’t know the answer, he’ll make me laugh or think in a way I didn’t consider before. For everything, big and small, I rely on my faith to accept life’s mysteries. Faith, itself, is a mystery but I believe. There is an undeniable truth: some things are meant to be mysteries.

2. My next challenge is figuring out
how to lose weight while trusting strangers with my child. I want to renew my gym membership, I really do, but how do I entrust my child’s safety and well-being with a stranger while I’m there? I miss water aerobics and yoga with Jessica, as well as Body Pump and Zumba, even though I can’t dance. The challenge for me, as a new mom, is leaving Kamden in the children’s center. Even though it’s located in the center of the facility,where I can easily see him if I’m on the cardio machines, I can’t see him if I’m taking a class or swimming in the pool. I was able to lose 36 pounds during my pregnancy, with intentional lifestyle changes and commitment to exercise. I know I can resume the good habits, but trusting a stranger with Kamden (albeit an employee of the fitness center, associated with a reputable hospital network) raises my anxiety to a whole other level. Even though I would be in the same facility, literally steps away, it makes me nervous. When did I become THIS mom?! Oh yeah, on December 19.

3. I shake things up
by cheering for Kentucky during basketball season and yelling “Roll Tide!” during football season for Alabama. Yes, Kentucky’s men’s basketball team isn’t very strong this year, but have you seen our football team? Yeah, it’s March and that means NCAA tournament and time to fill out the bracket. This year, I filled out two. I think the championship game, played up the road in Arlington at Jerry’s World (i.e. Cowboys Stadium, i.e. AT&T Stadium), will be Florida against Louisville. But I can’t decide who will ultimately take home the title. I’m a fan of Rick Pitino, and love the Louisville Cardinals when they’re not playing Kentucky, but the seniors at Florida look mighty fine right now. They’ve taken the SEC by storm, undefeated in the conference this year, and I predict they’ll play even stronger and dominate the NCAA tournament. Unless, of course, Louisville dominates and defends their title. That would be AWESOME to win back-to-back championships! As soon as college basketball season ends, I’ll be in mourning until football resumes. Summers are a very difficult time, made miserable by the ridiculous Texas heat.

4. High heels are
not in my wardrobe. I don’t own a single pair. I don’t even have wedges. Or kitten heels. In fact, I don’t have many shoes at all. Let’s see: a pair of TOMS, a pair of athletic (gym) shoes, and Sperry’s. I need new flip flops for summer because the pair I wore last year had a broken strap. In regards to the high heels, I’m plenty tall enough, prefer my feet to remain flat, and I don’t wear the kind of clothes that require fancy shoes. And high heels, I think, are very uncomfortable. Besides, if you could see the damaging effects of high heels on my aunt’s feet, you’d NEVER wear them again. Ewww.

Now it’s your turn. Answer these prompts in a post on your own blog or, if you do not have a blog, simply add your responses in a comment. Join us next Wednesday for another round of Finish This where we’ll answer the prompts below!

Prompts for WEEK #12 (March 26) are:
I know it’s a little weird but
When stopped at a stoplight, I
My guilty pleasure is
My favorite way to unwind

By | 2014-03-19T00:07:24+00:00 March 19th, 2014|Finish This|0 Comments

1. Emily Humphries March 19, 2014 at 8:12 am - Reply

Trust me when we had our first the thought of leaving him with a stranger gave me issues too. It get’s better sort of. You always worry it’s a mommy thing!

• Nicole March 19, 2014 at 10:03 am - Reply

Okay, good, it’s normal to be this nuts! HAHAHA

2. Ruthie Hart (@ruthiehart1) March 19, 2014 at 9:24 am - Reply

We started putting Ford in the gym daycare last week and it is SO NICE! The first time I put him in childcare was at MOPS and I was sad and missed him (even though I was in the next room) but then I relaxed and really enjoyed myself! We now do the childcare at church too, I know that stranger danger and anxiety is around 8 months so I want to make sure he will go to other people. You can do it mama! Such a nice mama break too

• Nicole March 19, 2014 at 10:04 am - Reply

Why can’t we be neighbors? Then I can creep onto your back porch and sit on that beautiful furniture and see your pretty face and that handsome baby and then we can go to the gym together. Okay, I’m weird. HAHAHA!!!!!!

3. Cassie March 19, 2014 at 9:44 am - Reply

I feel your pain about the gym childcare! I still won’t leave Allie at the gym. However, our childcare center at our gym is at the opposite end of the building from everywhere I might be and close to the door and I don’t think the adolescent desk workers actually watch the children very well. But I’m sure most gym childcare centers are very good. I know the other (nice but more expensive) gym in town has a wonderful glass-walled center with excellent workers who are CPR trained and sometimes even taking early childhood education classes staffing their center, it’s just I am not currently paying for my own gym membership so I can’t be choosy! But I know the anxiety of leaving them with anyone so young can be tough!

Oh, and Roll Tide! =) I’m not really a basketball fan, but I can totally relate to the depression when it’s not football season. Football season is simply my favorite time of the year!

• Nicole March 19, 2014 at 10:07 am - Reply

Oh Cassie, I feel your pain about football season! Spring isn’t even here, yet, and I’m already dreading summer and ready for fall and football. HA! Okay, so the fact that my gym has a glass-walled center in the middle of the facility should make me feel a hundred times better. Plus, they have a designated employee in there during the designated hours children are allowed to be left there. Fortunately, there are no teenagers working there!

4. graceyb March 19, 2014 at 9:51 am - Reply

It is hard when you first leave your precious bundle of joy with strangers, but it gets easier…
    And I totally agree with you on heels. My mom had to have foot surgery on all her toes due to the high heel she wore in her youth!

• Nicole March 19, 2014 at 10:10 am - Reply

Thanks Gracy! Heels are evil, really.

5. Paula Kaye March 19, 2014 at 10:38 am - Reply

Leaving your child, no matter where or when is hard. I have teenagers and I want to lock them in their rooms rather than trust them to the world. As for NCAA, rooting for Wichita State U all the way. And I am right there with you with high heels. I am 5’10” and don’t need them, but I hate them too

Paula at /Smidgen,Snippets,&Bits

• Nicole March 19, 2014 at 3:09 pm - Reply

Oh my, Paula, I don’t know how you stand to trust your babies, albeit they’re teenagers, to this crazy world. When I taught middle school, I told my students that same thing. They live in a completely different world, even from the one I grew up in 10-12 years ago!

6. penguinsangel March 19, 2014 at 4:38 pm - Reply

I love that our answers on where we turn with lifes mysteries. Great minds 🙂
    I so rarely wear heels, but its mainly wedges when I do.

• Nicole March 19, 2014 at 4:59 pm - Reply

I would go barefoot 24/7 if I could get away with it!!!!! Thanks for participating in the link up. =)

7. Shelley Oz March 19, 2014 at 5:24 pm - Reply

This is the second finish this link up I’ve seen! Can’t wait to join Next Week!!! Thanks so much for sharing 🙂

• Nicole March 19, 2014 at 5:26 pm - Reply

Absolutely, Shelley. If you want to join this week, go ahead. Each week’s link up is open until the next one begins. There’s always room for more participants. Looking forward to reading your responses. =)

8. Skye Kilaen March 19, 2014 at 7:25 pm - Reply

“When did I become THIS mom?!” When does it wear off for good, is what I want to know? Leaving him at a school for the first time at age 3 and a half, his first time to be somewhere with no family present? Almost killed me. Even though he could, you know, talk to people and explain what he needed and tell them if something was wrong, and it was only for three hours… I’m better now but every time it’s something new I am totally jangled for a couple of days.

• Nicole March 19, 2014 at 7:37 pm - Reply

Oh Skye, I know …. I know I’ll be the same way!!!!!