Finish This #7

In case you missed them, I recently shared Kamden’s BIRTH STORY and photos, as well as his TWO MONTH update. I can’t believe it’s been two months since we welcomed our Little Man into the world!

FinishThis--SMALL

Welcome to Week 7 of Finish This! If you’re new here, welcome. This link-up is hosted by LISA (COASTLINED), JEN (The Arizona Russums), BECKY (The Java Mama) and I.  If you’ve joined us before, thanks for returning and be sure you add your post to the link-up below. If you don’t have a blog, don’t fret. Answer the prompts in a comment. Next week’s prompts are provided at the bottom of this post. Let’s get started!

1. I plan on buying…
a MacBook Pro laptop computer. I’m ready to put my big girl panties on and make “the switch” from PC to a Mac, and because the Dell laptop I currently own is on its last leg. Actually, it’s hanging on by a thread. This thing has been legendary for doing everything (and more!) I’ve asked it to do, but it’s nine years old and in laptop years, that’s ancient. I’m pretty sure laptops and dogs age the same.

Bakeware. I tossed three cookie sheets, a round pizza pan, and two baking dishes in the trash last Monday.

Clothes. I’m in the awkward post-partum stage where my boobs are gigantic (even bigger than before) and my belly is a bit slimmer (but won’t be for long if I keep consuming these lactation cookies). As soon as I have surgery to remove my gallbladder and tie my baby-making tubes, I want to return to the gym and continue the journey towards better health. Since June, I’ve lost 36 pounds. Losing another 30-40 pounds would be grand. In the meantime, I have two pairs of yoga pants, nursing bras, and several t-shirts that are publicly and socially acceptable attire.

Mattresses. The full-size mattress in the guest room has got to go. It’s over eight years old and I want a queen size. Husband and I also need a new mattress in our bedroom. Our current one is eight years old (time to replace!) but it began showing signs of sagging and body impressions after four years. As much as I would love to ‘splurge’ on a foam mattress, I don’t think my frugal Husband will agree.

Toilet paper. If I don’t buy some in the next 24 hours, we’ll be tearing pages out of Country Living to clean our bums. I thought I had an emergency stash in the linen closet but then I remembered my last trip to Sam’s was a week before Kamden arrived.

2. I give ____ five stars because
Dale Hansen, a sportscaster for Channel 8 in Dallas, for his recent commentary about a gay football player. The short video clip is definitely worth your time.

3. I felt courageous when
I told my parents I had met the love of my life on the Internet. I was so scared of what they’d say and what they’d think about the guy I really liked and wanted to meet in person. Eleven years later, we have an amazing marriage and the most handsomest little boy in the world!

announcement-2

4. I feel about swimsuit shopping like I do
all shopping: I don’t like it and don’t do it unless absolutely necessary. I don’t remember the last time I went bathing suit shopping in a real store. The last few suits I’ve gotten have been purchased online. My favorite suits come from Land’s End because of the variety of options, modest cuts, and slimming material. Hopefully, I’ll be more apt to go swimsuit shopping before the start of summer this year if I get my butt back to the gym and continue the workout regimen I began before Kamden arrived. As soon as I’m recovered from gallbladder surgery, I plan to renew my gym membership and start sweating.

Now it’s your turn. Answer these prompts in a post on your own blog or, if you do not have a blog, simply add your responses in a comment. Join us next Wednesday for another round of Finish This where we’ll answer the prompts below!

Prompt for WEEK #8 (Feb 26) is:
Five Things I Know For Sure

By |2014-02-19T00:56:34+00:00February 19th, 2014|Finish This|0 Comments

1. Ruthie Hart (@ruthiehart1) February 19, 2014 at 8:34 am - Reply

Clothes… yes… I have finally gotten back to buying MYSELF stuff rather than baby. I had no idea I wouldnt be able to wear half my wardrobe while breastfeedning so its been fun to buy some new BF friendly pieces!

2. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin February 19, 2014 at 8:38 am - Reply

Definitely a KY Girl…Honest…friendly…happy with the small stuff…ecstatic over the Big!

3. graceyb February 19, 2014 at 9:20 am - Reply

WOW that video of Dale Hansen commenting on the gay football player is terrific. Thanks for sharing.

4. Whitney February 19, 2014 at 10:47 am - Reply

Nicole, I absolutely LOVE your family picture!!!! ‘Husband’ looks like a very proud father and hubby. You are one blessed lady & I love being able to ‘keep in touch’ through Social Media.
    Ok, here goes:
    1) I plan on buying…2 barstools before someone falls to the floor in the current ones we own. They came with the house we purchased last year and are NOT GOOD QUALITY!!!! 4 Lounge chairs for the pool. We used what we had last year and I refuse to use them again (looked like a pack of hillbillies in our zero gravity and fold-up-soccer mom-bag chairs). 🙂
    2) I give 5 stars to…Moe’s! They always make me feel welcome when I walk through their doors.
    3) I (will feel) courageous when I (along with my Cook Ortho team of 7) get on stage before approx. 100 peers dressed in a leotard and black heels and pretend to be Beyonce singing “All the Single Ladies” except we’ve changed the lyrics to “All the Ortho Ladies”…I’m sure the video will go viral, stay tuned!
    4) I feel about swimsuit shopping like I do….uh…..swimsuit shopping. For me, I don’t know that there is anything worse.

• Nicole February 19, 2014 at 2:46 pm - Reply

Whitney, my dear, you know we’ve not seen each other in FOREVER if we’ve not met each others husband!!!!! When that video of you and your team is on YouTube, you better send me the link. HAHAHA!

5. Krista February 19, 2014 at 11:06 am - Reply

Thanks for the tip on suits at Lands End, I’ll have to check them out! And congratulations on the birth of your son!

6. Paula Kaye February 19, 2014 at 11:27 am - Reply

I desperately need to add baking wear to my shopping list…I love that you met you guy on the internet AND made it work. I can imagine though that your parents were a bit worried.

• Nicole February 19, 2014 at 2:48 pm - Reply

Yes, Paula, Mom and Dad were definitely hesitant but also very willing to meet my Internet guy. Eleven years later, we’re happy campers and the proud parents of Kamden. Life Is Good. God is Great. =)

7. penguinsangel February 19, 2014 at 1:47 pm - Reply

Oh my goodness, why can’t we live closer – we could do our movie sleep over and then so many of the same want to buy things. I am so in need of a new mattress, ours isn’t old, but it just isn’t great – it would go down in the basement for our new guest bed (which is currently a full), so that would be an actual queen, and I REALLY want a new foam/gel bed but my husband insists he won’t like it. I think he would.
    And good for you on your weight loss already!! And I met my husband online as well 😉

• Nicole February 19, 2014 at 2:50 pm - Reply

Angie, if you find a way to convince your husband to get a foam mattress, tell me your secret! We need a mattress REALLY bad. We needed it last year but when I found out I was pregnant, we decided to wait just in case my water broke at home. I know, gross, but it’s the truth. Fortunately, I had an induction and my water was broken at the hospital. But we still need a mattress!!! hahahaha

Movie night at my house might mean we watch movies in the wee hours of the night/mornings in between feedings and pumping. 🙂

8. pnkheelspnktrk February 20, 2014 at 4:20 am - Reply

We bought another pillow top a few years ago…but it’s already got my hubby’s body impressions. I need to turn it so gravity can help readjust 😉 LOL

• Nicole February 20, 2014 at 7:49 am - Reply

I hear that! Unfortunately, our mattress is turned more often because of the body impressions. I think we bought it on sale, probably clearance rack, eight years ago and we’ve definitely gotten our money’s worth. It’s high time for a new one!!!