Finish This… Week #2

FinishThis--SMALLWelcome to the second week of FINISH THIS… , a link-up hosted by LISA (The Coastal Chicster), JEN (The Arizona Russums), BECKY (The Java Mama) and I. If you joined us last week, thanks for coming back! If this is your first time, welcome! Be sure to include your post in the link-up and invite others to join the fun. Share, Pin, tweet, and post to Instagram and spread the word. Use the hashtag #finishthislinkup so others can see what you’ve posted.

1. If I could make anything grow on trees, it would be… airline tickets. Preferably first-class, priority boarding, extra-large seats with lots of leg room, no long lines at security, and unlimited free bags. With these tickets, I’d fly as often as possible between Texas and Kentucky visiting my family, Lisa in Virginia,  Jen (and Miss Z) in Arizona, and I’d return to the Holy Land for a Kosher meal at The Olive Tree Hotel in Jerusalem and a dip in the Dead Sea.

011small

2. I can’t stop smiling… about Kamden’s stretch-fart-grunt routine. Even when I’m dog-tired and sleep seems a million miles away, I always laugh at my little guy’s gastrointestinal noises.

thinkingbaby

3. I get back to nature by… going to Kentucky and working in my parent’s garden. As much as I loathe picking green beans, I love their taste and having a stocked pantry more. My favorite garden task is working in sweet corn though because it’s a group effort and we always have a good time. Like a well-oiled machine, we head to the patch (or multiple patches) before dawn and gather hundreds (sometimes thousands) of ears of corn before returning to the shop to shuck. Kelby’s in charge of the gas stoves and boiling the ears of corn. Kaleb, Bradley, and I remove the silk. When our trays are full, we take the cooked ears of corn inside to Mom and Dad, who have very sharp knives and cut the corn off the cob. Finally, the corn is portioned into gallon-size bags and ready to freeze. With this team of seasoned veterans, it takes approximately eight hours to process a thousand ears of corn, give or take time for goofing around, hydration breaks, lunch, and random karaoke performances. In addition to the sweet corn, we can green beans, tomato and homemade V-8 juices, corn and pepper relishes, beets, squash, and jalapenos and make salsa and fruit preserves too. To my mother’s dismay and father’s delight, the garden gets bigger every year but my belly and pantry rejoice!

Here’s a peek at the tomato juice process:

tomatojuice

When I’m in Kentucky but not in the garden, you’ll find me riding in the buddy seat inside a Case tractor or John Deere combine, shooting paper targets at Dad’s gun range, driving the Kawasaki Mule along Countryside Drive, cooling off in Kaleb’s lake or Kelby’s pool, or drinking a cold beverage on a hot summer night in the middle of a field from the bed of a pickup truck listening to country songs beneath the stars.

gunrange

4. I dread washing… our bedding (sheets, pillowcases, blankets). Husband and I learned the first night we slept in the same bed that we could not share a sheet or blanket. Thus, our bed has one fitted sheet but we each have our own flat sheet, blankets, and pillows. Speaking of pillows, it takes at least 30 minutes to reassemble our bed because of the damn pillowcases. There are standard pillows, king-size pillows, Euro pillows, pillow shams, decorative pillows (that spend more time on the floor than on the bed) and a giant body pillow (measures nearly six-feet-long in the shape of a shepherd’s hook) that was a God-send when I was pregnant. This prompt reminds me: I need to wash our bedding soon. Anybody want to help put cases back on the pillows????

Prompts for WEEK THREE (Wednesday, January 22):

1. A typical day in my life
2. You’ll never see me
3. It’s really unattractive when a guy/girl
4. If I could buy one thing right now, it would be
5. I have high expectations for

By | 2014-01-15T00:02:37+00:00 January 15th, 2014|Finish This|14 Comments

14 Comments

1. thatssojacob January 15, 2014 at 8:52 am - Reply

As a former resident of Jerusalem, I approve this message. I will do my next finish this next week since I screwed up last week. Check it out!

• Nicole January 15, 2014 at 9:05 am - Reply

awww, thanks Jacob!!!! I am absolutely in LOVE with Jerusalem ….. what a beautiful place with a beautiful history and the most beautiful people. I’d go back tomorrow if I could. =)

2. lovelylici1986 January 15, 2014 at 11:22 am - Reply

Nicole, Kamden is too cute!
    Do you grow anything at home? If I were living on property I owned, I definitely would have a vegetable and herb garden. Nothing like your own produce!
    I don’t like washing the bedding either! Well, the washing, I don’t mind. It’s putting it all back on. Gaaah!

• Nicole January 15, 2014 at 11:42 am - Reply

Awww, I think he’s a handsome lil’ looking too!!!!!! (but I’m totally partial in every way) Unfortunately, no, I don’t grow anything here at the house. Besides, I don’t have the time, patience or desire to have my own garden AND the summer weather in Texas is NOT garden friendly without running your water bill up to extravagant heights. You’ve given me a thought, however, to plant some herbs maybe in a window pot. I don’t know how ‘green’ my thumb is without Mom and Dad though. HAHAHAHA!!!!!!

3. Emily Humphries January 15, 2014 at 1:46 pm - Reply

Awe that little guy of yours is adorable and I hate washing bedding too. As if I don’t have enough clothes with four boys to wash. Add the bedding to that and I’d rather take a nap!

• Nicole January 15, 2014 at 2:20 pm - Reply

I think a nap sounds GLORIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let’s take a nap instead of wash bedding, it’s just going to get dirty, right????

4. Angie Agerter January 15, 2014 at 6:24 pm - Reply

Airline tickets, genius!! How wonderful and amazing would that be! I don’t mind washing our bedding, but I do HATE to wash our duvet. 🙁

• Nicole January 15, 2014 at 8:07 pm - Reply

Oh Angie, I forgot about duvets. I had one in college, loved it but it was such a pain in the butt to wash/reassemble. Thanks for joining the link-up, I hope you’ll come back next week!!!!!

5. Georgia McDaniel January 15, 2014 at 8:24 pm - Reply

Yes! Yes! I want airline tickets too. I would come straight to Texas! My heart is aching to hold Kamden.

• Nicole January 15, 2014 at 8:56 pm - Reply

HAHAHAHA When are you coming down? Love you!!!!

6. Ruthie Hart (@ruthiehart1) January 16, 2014 at 2:17 pm - Reply

OMG the grunting poop face…. so funny and cute!! I always know when Ford is poopin 🙂

• Nicole January 16, 2014 at 5:49 pm - Reply

Does Ford get the hiccups? OH. MY. GOSH. They’re driving us nuts! And yes, the poop face is legendary….as are the diapers. LOL

7. Paula Kaye January 16, 2014 at 9:12 pm - Reply

All that gardening looks delightful. I would love a big garden like that!

• Nicole January 16, 2014 at 9:20 pm - Reply

Paula, it’s a LOT of work and I’m only ‘home’ a few weeks in the summer!!!!