what’s in my hospital bag?

hospitalbag-edited-small

I’m not the first mama-to-be to share what’s inside my hospital bag but, because I’ve read so many posts about the subject, I’m sharing my two cents worth. Every woman is different and some might even say I’ve over-packed, but I think this will work for us. Husband says he’s coming home each night to feed Blue and shower and specifically asked me NOT to pack anything for him — we shall see. Here is a picture of (almost) everything:

??????????

FOR MOM:

*Toiletries and bathroom essentials (see below)
*Going home outfit (stretchy pants, maternity tank, and t-shirt)
*5 pair – cotton “boy shorts” underwear (size: Extra Generous)
*Rubber-soled slippers
*Button-down pajamas, nursing gown, and robe
*sports bra
*nursing bras (and disposable nursing pads)
*3 pair – comfy socks
*fleece blanket
*expandable folder (see below)
*a pillow

Toiletries and Bathroom essentials:

*super absorbent Maxi pads (ughhhhh!!!!!)
*witch hazel pads
*face cleanser wipes
*Kleenex tissues
*elastic hair ties
*breath mints & gum
*Lanolin cream
*hand sanitizer
*toothbrush, toothpaste, and mouthwash
*shampoo and conditioner
*body wash
*deodorant
*Chapstick lip balm

Expandable Folder – to store hospital paperwork and important documents

*copy of driver’s license, social security card, and insurance card
*journal/notebook and ink pens
*list of important telephone numbers
*contact info for OB and pediatrician

FOR BABY – most items are in gallon-size Ziploc bags because they’re so small

*Boppy nursing pillow
*one-piece zippered fleece suit
*car seat blanket
*2 of each – swaddle blankets, burp cloths, socks, hand mitts, hats, onesie/body suits, and zippered sleeper suits
*1 outfit (onesie and pant set)
*2 pacifiers
*Vaseline
*diaper cream
*extra diapers and wet wipes

I’m using Kamden’s diaper bag and a rolling carry-on bag, plus a tote bag for last-minute, miscellaneous items (see below) that we’ll pack before leaving for the hospital. I’m still undecided about taking the Boppy pillow and zippered fleece suit. A lactation nurse recommended using a regular pillow when feeding Kamden so he doesn’t fall into the gap between my body and the Boppy pillow. Maybe I’ll take it, maybe I won’t. The fleece suit is cute, but it’s on the large side. Even though it’s 0-3 months, it might be too big. Here’s a picture of (almost) everything packed into their respective bags:

??????????

LAST MINUTE (MISC/ TECH) BAG (not pictured)

*BB cream and powder
*point-and-shoot camera, memory card, and extra batteries
*cell phones and chargers
*tablet and charger
*Husband’s laptop and charging cord
*cash for vending machines
*Ziploc bag with snacks (trail mix, crackers, etc.)

I have a DSLR camera, but it’s big and bulky. Plus, we have a birth photographer who will take all of our special moment shots. The point-and-shoot takes up less space and will be easier for Husband and/or visitors to use. I’m still working on gift ideas for the nurses who take care of us. Each one I met during the hospital tour was an absolute jewel and I want a special treat to say “thank you” before we leave. Plus, there’s always the possibility that Kamden will arrive on or near Christmas and it makes me sad when folks are away from their families during holidays.

Now it’s your turn … have I forgotten anything? What did you pack in your hospital bag(s)? Tell me in a comment!

By |2013-12-07T19:02:05+00:00December 7th, 2013|Blog|30 Comments

30 Comments

1. Kate Engle December 7, 2013 at 7:49 pm - Reply

Taking a file folder is brilliant. Maybe if I had done that I wouldn’t have lost Liam’s souvenir birth certificate with his foot prints on it 🙁

• Nicole December 7, 2013 at 7:54 pm - Reply

Ohh no!!!!! I’ve always had this horrible fear that I lost the birth certificate or paperwork to get a social security card, so I’m being proactive and organized. Eeeek, cannot believe he’ll be here soon. =)

2. Jenne December 7, 2013 at 8:15 pm - Reply

Had to take my own sheets because I am allergic to the soap they use. Heating pad if the doctor approves. Hospitals are too cold!

• Nicole December 7, 2013 at 8:16 pm - Reply

Oh my, Jenne, but I bet your bed sheets were softer and more comfy than the hospital ones!!!!!

3. Jaime December 7, 2013 at 9:56 pm - Reply

Gas-x and stool softener is a must! Also make sure you pack baby K a premie outfit, newborn and 0-3 outfits sometimes are to big in new baby’s. Good luck, prayers for all three of you!

• Nicole December 7, 2013 at 10:14 pm - Reply

Jamie, thanks for the heads-up! I’ll add those items to my bathroom bag. As for Baby K, he’s measuring well over seven pounds with another week (maybe two) left before I reach the expected due date. I don’t think “premie” sizes will be an option, but I’ve got newborn and 0-3 months clothes packed in his bag. We can always send Husband or a grandparent or a friend to the house to get other options too!

4. Amanda December 7, 2013 at 10:06 pm - Reply

One thing I always tell women whom are having boys….take a tube of Vaseline and a tube of equate brand triple antibiotic cream. My cousins got me these things for Tyler and it was a blessing! The Vaseline is to smear his diaper after circumcision so he doesn’t stick to the diaper, and the triple antibiotic cream is to lather around him so he will heal faster. Seriously, I did this and Tyler was healed within 3-4 days after.

• Nicole December 7, 2013 at 10:18 pm - Reply

GOOD TO KNOW, Amanda! I’ve got a tube of Vaseline, as suggested by another mama, to coat his bottom during the meconium phase for easier wiping and clean-up. I’m so grateful for the insight and wisdom from experienced moms like you …. THANK YOU!!!!!!

5. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin December 8, 2013 at 6:05 am - Reply

You seem all ready to go!…Love it!…I think I just took ME to the hospital …and later Bobby brought me what I needed…Back then…42 years ago…NOT MUCH!…
    an outfit for me…a gown or two…an outfit for “baby” and blanket…The hospital had everything else as far as care products…
    I think we “winged” it a lot more back when I was experience having a baby!
    The best to you , baby and Daddy…What a wonderful experience…
    I still remember!

• Nicole December 8, 2013 at 8:05 am - Reply

Thanks so much, Marilyn! We’re excited and nervous as we inch closer and closer to D-Day with anticipation to meet Baby Kamden. =)

6. April December 8, 2013 at 7:40 am - Reply

I’ll say, I got all those little things when I was in the hospital– they did provide Gasx and Colace (but you’ll still need them when you get home!). They also gave me a tube of Aquaphor for little man and lanolin for me. Your milk likely won’t come in while at the hospital, but the lanolin is SO appreciated!

My only tip? Don’t underestimate snacks for husband. You won’t know what labor is like until you’re in it and you may not want him gone for an hour to eat. I also did NOT want my hubs bringing in the smell of food when I hadn’t eaten in 24 hours! It was easier to pretend the ice chips were food that way. 😉 Also, if (God-forbid) you end up with a c-section– ask for an abdominal binder! It saved me the second time around!

• Nicole December 8, 2013 at 8:07 am - Reply

GOOD. TO. KNOW. Thanks April!!!! Experienced mamas like you are keeping me in line, love it. Big HUGS to you, stay warm! =)

7. Celeste Zachry December 8, 2013 at 10:42 am - Reply

I wasn’t near this “prepared” for either baby, however being military they really provided me with everything I needed. I’m thinking I took robe for walking once all 3 of my epidurals wore off, outfits for both of us and blankets for baby. Hospital did the rest for the whopping price of: Kirsten $32, Britton $0. Times have really changed, though. While I was given pacifiers, bottles, stool softeners, etc. it’s not the same over a decade later. The insurance is lacking.

My advice? Take a GOOD stool softener as soon as he’s born. The first time you “go” after childbirth is worse than childbirth. No shit – pun totally intended. But, seriously.

• Nicole December 8, 2013 at 10:47 am - Reply

See, I always knew there was something special about Britton ……. no wonder I love giving her a hard time, she was a FREEBIE!!!!!! As for the going, put that on the “ughhhhh” list right beside the gigantic maxi pads. Sweet Lawd, Geee-Jus.

8. Amanda Haney December 8, 2013 at 11:27 am - Reply

I think the file folder thing is thing to do. I never thought of that.

Since my Daughter came 10 weeks early and it was an emergency situation I never got to pack my hospital bag. I had my list going and had even done a blog post about it, but never actually got to.

The squirt bottles they will give you from the hospital, steal them. Just do it. Also they will give you diapers, burp cloths, etc.. Steal those too. And pacifiers if they give them to you. Oh and the mesh panties. I thought Id never wear those, but Mommy friends who had experience told me Id change my mind and I totally did. I kept taking all of the ones theyd bring to my bathroom and put them in my bag and theyd bring more. I took like 20 pairs home with us and D thought I was crazy, but they were comfy.

• Nicole December 8, 2013 at 11:44 am - Reply

Amanda, I’ve heard about the mesh undies and squirt bottles …. I’ll be sure to “gather” lots of extras!!!!!! Big HUGS to you, friend, hope you are well and staying warm in this crazy Texas weather. =)

9. Amanda Haney December 8, 2013 at 11:29 am - Reply

Nicole, they’ll start giving you stool softener right after hes born. My hospital did and everyone that I know has.

• Nicole December 8, 2013 at 11:47 am - Reply

GOOD. TO. KNOW. There needs to be a REAL reality-TV show, similar in nature to Teen Mom but with REAL information and experiences before, during, and after birth. I watch that show occasionally, I admit, but they like to skip right over the labor part and oh-everything-is-nice-and-rosy-lets-go-home-now. PUHLEASE! If young girls knew what REALLY happened in that delivery room, they might stop having babies. I’m nearly 30 and scared to death about this. HAHAHA!!!!!!!

10. Lisa December 9, 2013 at 6:11 pm - Reply

I’m not an expert on this subject, so I’m not even going to try to write an intelligent comment on this. But the one thing that popped into my head was that you should pack some Jolly Ranchers. They are delicious. I think you would enjoy them. =)

Everything is going to be awesome. =)

• Nicole December 9, 2013 at 7:31 pm - Reply

Jolly Ranchers it is ….. I’m buying a package just because you suggested it and it’ll make me think of you. Actually, you’re onto something here. Hard candies are suggested, especially if your mouth is dry and allowed only ice chips. =)

11. I needed a hug. | Three 31 December 12, 2013 at 12:14 am - Reply

[…] least my hospital bags are packed. And I bought a pajama set with a button-down top (compatible for nursing) and matching […]

12. erikaboot December 12, 2013 at 6:06 pm - Reply

I found that I didn’t use most of what I brought. I didn’t bother bringing pads….to be honest the ones you can buy in the store simply won’t cut it and the hospital will give you gloriously huge ones (seriously unlike anything I’d ever seen, but you will need them). The spray bottle they give you (for um, bathroom purposes) is a life saver (especially if you have stitches)….make sure you take it! I forgot mine and COULD NOT find one in the store. I actually cried. They also provided the witch hazel pads (also awesome). They will give you lanolin and even nipple shields if you need them. They provide you with plenty of diapers for baby And I totally agree about the mesh underwear….AWESOME. The one thing I wished I had was my own jammies….I really hated having to wear the hospital gown when people were visiting. Good luck! Total side note: we totally have the same diaper bag (although since Robbie is 2 now we don’t need it very often) and I loved it!

Erika

• Nicole December 12, 2013 at 6:17 pm - Reply

Hi Erika! I’ve heard about these “glorious” pads and gigantic mesh underwear, I can’t wait …. sigh. On a positive note: I have some fabulous pajamas (button-down top and matching pants from Lane Bryant) and nursing gowns that I plan to wear after labor and delivery. Yippee!!!!

13. Celeste Zachry December 12, 2013 at 8:45 pm - Reply

Forgot all about those undies and that bottle. Indeed lifesavers!!

• Nicole December 12, 2013 at 8:48 pm - Reply

I’m going to ask for an extra bottle to bring home …. I keep hearing they are WONDERFUL to have!!!!!

14. […] lounged in my comfy pajamas for four days. Despite my lack of productiveness, I managed to pack our hospital bags and assembled the stroller and swinger/rocker. I Babies R’Us and Amazon have vomited baby […]

15. Crystal December 19, 2013 at 9:39 am - Reply

Sounds like you are well prepared!!!! Oh, keep asking the hospital for those cooling pads and stock up on them. Take them home…you will want them, I promise! They are amazing. So excited for you!

16. […] I was pregnant, I shared my favorite products (here) and what I packed in my hospital bag (here). Now that I’ve survived the first month with a newborn, there are several items that I […]

17. Jelli January 27, 2014 at 8:01 pm - Reply

I had a terrible flashback when I got to your “drivers license” place in the packing list. When I was in the hospital, my husband was kicked out around 8pm. He told me to hide my purse (with all essential IDs) in the sheets of my bed to avoid robbery. I had a bed in the hall for a few hours because there were no rooms available. For this reason they stashed my baby in the nursery. Little old me walked to the nursery to nurse the baby and was there informed that they’d gotten me a bed. I was escorted to the new room with little one in tow and tucked in. Twenty minutes later realized my purse was missing….still in old bed. Nurse told me old bed had been stripped for the laundry and my bag of belongings (boring non-robbery items) was kept for me to retrieve. I almost cried when I told them my purse had been stripped along with the linens (TINY purse) that they were certain contained nothing. Thankfully I pleaded plenty and they checked a cart and found the purse. Whew! I got plenty of reprimands for leaving my purse in the sheets, but at least I didn’t need to apply for all kinds of crazy IDs again.

• Nicole January 27, 2014 at 8:45 pm - Reply

oh my stars, Jillian, that’s hilarious you kept the important IDs beneath your sheets but you’re lucky you found them later!!!!!!