Fall Mantel Decorated with Pumpkins and Family Heirlooms

Let me begin with the following disclaimer: I am NOT an interior decorator. I think our home is decorated in a traditional sense but on a simple scale. Husband hates to see useless “day-core” sitting on a shelf or table and I don’t like trying to arrange them in a semi-intelligent manner. Thus, our home is fairly scarce compared to others. We’ve lived in this house six years and I can count on one hand the number of pictures on the walls, though I intend to remedy this once Kamden is born and we have his photographs adorning our walls. My mom is en route to Texas from Kentucky as I type this post and Husband’s family will arrive Saturday to attend the third and final baby shower. I decided a while back Christmas decorations were staying in the attic this year with Kamden’s anticipated birth day on or around December 22. Since it actually FEELS like fall outside and family members are visiting, I scoured Pinterest for inspiration to decorate the mantel between the living room and kitchen/dining areas.

fall mantle numbers

1. Mantel Clock – This clock is an heirloom I received from my maternal grandmother, Nana. Growing up, I remember this clock sitting on the mantel or high shelf in the family room. Sometimes, as is the case now, I don’t add fresh batteries. Call me weird, but I don’t use this clock as a dependable time-piece (though it certainly is) but rather a reminder of days gone by.

fall mantle decor

2. Olive Wood Sculpture of Jesus, The Great Shepherd – This wood sculpture of Jesus was hand-carved at an olive wood factory in Bethlehem and I purchased it while visiting the Holy Land. I have always heard of Jesus being called The Great Shepherd, but it wasn’t until I was in Jerusalem, amongst the actual shepherds and flocks of sheep that the mental image became a reality. Our tour guide, Sam, told us how shepherds would manage an over-zealous sheep — known for either running away or separating from the flock — by breaking one of its legs. Then, the shepherd, the sheep’s master and caregiver, would bandage the injured leg and carry the animal everywhere it needed to go. In every aspect, the sheep was completely helpless and depended entirely on the shepherd for food, water, and shelter. When the bone healed and the sheep could walk again, it never strayed more than a few feet from the shepherd, keeping it safe. There’s a sermon in this story whether you realize it or not.

pumpkins fall mantel

3. Personalized Mini Pumpkins – This is my DIY project of the year. I simply picked out nine pumpkins at my church’s Pumpkin Patch and used a small squeeze bottle of paint (with a needle-nose tip) to “write” the letters of our last name. It cost less than 10 dollars, including paint, and fits perfectly across the mantel.

roping dumming fall mantle

4. Indoor Roping Dummy – Everybody has a miniature roping dummy inside their house, right? No? Oh, well, this has been a permanent fixture in our home since day one. Even though Husband hasn’t roped much lately (due to hot weather, busy work schedule, and other hobbies and passions), I don’t know where else to put this thing. If you’re visiting and would like a roping lesson, we’ve got you covered!

5. Re-purposed Pottery Jug – I picked this up at a garage sale several years ago and, despite being really dirty and dusty, it’s in great shape. I don’t have any idea how old it is, but it reminds me of clay jugs used to store Kentucky whiskey. The floral motif is similar to the design on my great-grandmother’s butter churner and milk cans. For all I know, this could be a reproduction made in who-knows-where but it serves two purposes here: a decorative flower-pot and hiding an ugly gas line connector for the fireplace logs we’ve never used and don’t intend to use. There, I just spilled the beans on why the pot is always full of silk flowers and sitting on the right side.

fall mantle full

Are you one who decorates simply or do you style
your home with flair for different seasons and holidays?

Here’s another secret for you — the wreath is hung using a large paperclip on one side and dental floss on the other. I couldn’t find Husband’s spool of wire in the garage so I had to improvise. I really love this wreath but it’s hardly ever displayed. I hung it outside on the front door for a week and was afraid the wind or birds would destroy it so I keep it inside. Unfortunately, it’s two inches too narrow to fit on the nails already in the stone wall. Hopefully, the paperclip and floss will keep it secure!

2013

By | 2013-10-24T12:24:52+00:00 October 24th, 2013|Blog|0 Comments

1. Whimsical Minutes October 24, 2013 at 12:38 pm - Reply

Love your mantel!! ๐Ÿ™‚ I love the personalized pumpkins too… I laughed when I saw you hung your wreath with a paperclip and dental floss!! So innovative! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Nicole October 24, 2013 at 12:43 pm - Reply

Thank you!!!! We’ll see how long the paperclip and dental floss last …… hopefully that floss is really durable. Or Husband will tell me where the spool of wire is located. LOL

2. Julie October 24, 2013 at 12:42 pm - Reply

Your mantel looks beautiful…you did a great job!!!!

• Nicole October 24, 2013 at 12:44 pm - Reply

Thanks, Lovely …… I figured it was time to put the SPRING flowers away. LOL

3. Catie October 24, 2013 at 1:23 pm - Reply

Looks great!!

• Nicole October 24, 2013 at 1:29 pm - Reply

Thanks Catie!!! It’s looking a little more fall-ish in here now. =)

4. Whitney October 24, 2013 at 1:46 pm - Reply

Well I shoulda come with Momma and……wait, you don’t need my help, what you’ve done looks awesome!!!! I’m proud of you; a little secret, I usually use dental floss, bread bag ties, shoe strings from old shoes, and/or twine to hold/tie/hang something every year between fall and Christmas decorating. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Oh, and I’d leave the crock year-round too, those are some of my favs.
    You’re mantel is beautiful, simple and I love it!!!!

• Nicole October 24, 2013 at 1:55 pm - Reply

Coming from YOU, Miss Whit, that is a compliment — thank you, thank you!!!!! I seriously hope that floss holds, or at until Husband finds the spool of wire in the garage. You definitely should have come with Mom, we would have LOVED to have had you here for the shower. Big hugs, Neighbor!!!!!!!

5. Amanda Coers October 24, 2013 at 4:00 pm - Reply

Gorgeous set-up! ๐Ÿ˜€ Can you come do my house? I need help lol

• Nicole October 24, 2013 at 4:38 pm - Reply

Oh my, Amanda, you’re so sweet. I’d love to help, but my expertise and mobility are limited! hahaha

6. Julie (@CocoandCocoa) October 24, 2013 at 4:18 pm - Reply

I love the olive wood sculpture!! And I think the pumpkins are the perfect fall decor!

7. I love the story with the mantle clock. I think decorating with items that have personal meaning is tour husband can’t complain if it’s family!

• Nicole October 24, 2013 at 4:54 pm - Reply

Thanks …. Husband *FOR SURE* can’t complain if it’s personal or family piece, right?! LOL

8. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin October 25, 2013 at 10:03 am - Reply

all looks wonderful…very “Fallish”…we all have our little secrets in decorating…and what we use to hang things with…too funny!
    but, have to ask??? why won’t you use your lovely gas fireplace…I would love watching it burn…

• Nicole October 27, 2013 at 5:03 pm - Reply

Thanks! Whomever built this house, put gas logs in the fireplace but the rest of the house is electric. Thus, there is a ‘connector” of sorts on the side for you to hook up the gas tank. Don’t know about you, but I’d rather NOT have a tank of gas in the middle of my house. Plus, the fireplace does not face the living room or the kitchen/dining room. It’s a really weird layout. AND, it’s too dang hot in Texas for a fireplace anyway. It would only be used a couple months, maybe less.

9. vintage1973regina October 25, 2013 at 6:33 pm - Reply

Great job lady! Simple and personalized. Historical too?!?

• Nicole October 27, 2013 at 5:04 pm - Reply

Exactly …. simple, personalized, and a story behind the piece. LOL

10. Georgia McDaniel October 26, 2013 at 8:09 am - Reply

looks great, You did a fabulous job! Have fun at your shower today and with all the relatives! Sure wish I could be there. Love you!

• Nicole October 27, 2013 at 5:05 pm - Reply

Thank you! The shower was fabulous, Baby K is spoiled rotten and he’s not even here yet. The “mustache” pacifier you sent is pretty darn cute too, he’s going to look so handsome!!!!! =)