Braxton Hicks

I’m not a hypochondriac, but I’m diagnosing myself as having Braxton Hicks contractions this morning. While they weren’t exactly painful, they were very uncomfortable.

Every morning this week, I’ve been awake by 6:30 or 7:00. I’ve gotten up to use the bathroom, but returned to bed in hopes of going back to sleep. I’m grateful for having a tablet because I can read friends’ blogs, check email, play Solitaire, or read a book without disturbing Husband. Plus, it gives me an opportunity to enjoy Kamden’s morning routine. He’s pretty active at night but he’s been moving around more and more in the mornings. He prefers that I lay on my left side or back and kicks (or jabs, depending on which end he’s using) vigorously when I’m on my right side.

This morning, while playing Solitaire in bed, my lower abdomen started to feel really tight. Several minutes later, I had what I’ll describe as a muscle cramp, lasting about 5-10 seconds. It wasn’t severe, but it was uncomfortable enough that I immediately moved onto my left side. An hour later, I felt the tightness build again, then taper off. I dismissed my winning Solitaire game and began reading articles about Braxton Hicks contractions. Turns out, I was experiencing what the articles were describing. I learned these types of contractions actually help tone the uterine muscle and increase blood flow to the placenta, but they do not cause the cervix to dilate. At 30 weeks, no dilation is a VERY good thing! More disturbing are the popular triggers of Braxton Hicks contractions: a very active mother and/or baby, full bladder, and dehydration.

Husband has been telling me for a couple of weeks that I need to slow down at the gym. I haven’t been in the swimming pool for two weeks because Dr. W instructed me to discontinue water aerobics until my allergies and sinus congestion cleared up. While she’s pleased with my weight loss, she advised me to slow down on the duration and frequency at the gym during the third trimester. Obviously, it’s past time for me to slow down. Wednesday, after an hour-long yoga class, I got on the treadmill. Within 10 minutes, my breathing was heavy and I was exhausted. I went home, took a shower, and fell asleep on the couch.

This post would have been published sooner except I got home from a shopping trip, unloaded the car, and promptly fell asleep in my comfy recliner. I hope my stroll through Sam’s Club counts as exercise, because I didn’t go to the gym. But I experienced Braxton Hicks contractions today!

2013

By |2013-10-17T16:43:56+00:00October 17th, 2013|Blog|17 Comments

17 Comments

1. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin October 17, 2013 at 5:17 pm - Reply

never heard of them…but, then I had my babies a long time ago…in fact my first born will have his 42nd birthday next week…

• Nicole October 17, 2013 at 5:34 pm - Reply

Neither had my Mom when I called her earlier today!!!!!!!!!! I was only *vaguely* aware of them because of recent articles I’d read. I’m not concerned — didn’t call my doctor — but they definitely got my attention. =)

2. Bree October 17, 2013 at 7:56 pm - Reply

From what I understand those are a good sign. They are preparing you, your baby and body for labor. I’m jealous. I never had them.

• Nicole October 17, 2013 at 8:27 pm - Reply

Bree, everything I read this morning agrees, which is another reason I didn’t panic or call the doctor. I haven’t had any alarming symptoms or discharge, just the brief “cramps” described. Plus, it’s hard to believe I’m already 30 weeks and in the third trimester, right on time for Braxton Hicks!

3. Taylor @ Pink Heels Pink Truck October 17, 2013 at 9:16 pm - Reply

Yes!!! It’s your body prepping for labor! 🙂 Something you’ll probably experience off and on until delivery time.

• Nicole October 17, 2013 at 9:18 pm - Reply

Another day closer to delivery ……. eeek! He’s flipping around like crazy tonight. I had my prenatal vitamins resting on my belly a minute ago, he suddenly kicked and they fell off. CALM DOWN IN THERE, KID!!!!!!!

4. Celeste Zachry October 18, 2013 at 5:52 am - Reply

Calm down. For K. You’re the only one who can take care of him right now. Later we’ll help out. Now, you calm down.

• Nicole October 18, 2013 at 5:57 am - Reply

I’m calm and cooler than a cucumber …… and been awake since 0430. UGH!!!!

5. Emily Humphries October 18, 2013 at 7:47 am - Reply

Well if it makes you feel better I’ve been up with a 7 month old most of the night. Ugh! kids you got to love them but they think sleep is over rated or at least mine do. Hope you get a nap in today being up at 4:30 is no fun. Have a great day girl.

• Nicole October 18, 2013 at 10:20 am - Reply

Ohhhh my goodness gracious, Emily, bless your heart!!!!! I’m really hoping Baby K will be like his father in the sleep department, I think Husband could have slept through the British invasion. I enjoy my sleep too, so maybe Kamden will get a good double-dose. HAHAHA!!!!!!!

6. Chrissy Bernal October 18, 2013 at 9:38 am - Reply

When I was pregnant with my twins, I was told to expect Braxton Hicks contractions. However, I never had them. In fact, I never actually had any contractions. They had to do a C-Section before I ever went into labor.

• Nicole October 18, 2013 at 10:22 am - Reply

oh my gosh, Chrissy! But look what you got out of this deal …. TWINS. I used to always say I wanted twins — a boy and a girl — but then when I got pregnant and now preparing for our one, I keep saying, “What was I thinking?! I must’ve been crazy!” Mommas of multiples are angels, YOU GO GIRL.

7. Amanda Coers October 18, 2013 at 10:21 am - Reply

Hopefully this means your actual labor won’t be long! 🙂

• Nicole October 18, 2013 at 10:23 am - Reply

I hope it’s not too long lasting because I’m the biggest WIMP that ever roamed this earth and I ask my Dr at every visit if the anesthesiologist can move in with us just so I can get the epidural ASAP. I’m not even kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahaha

8. The Duda Homestead October 20, 2013 at 7:38 am - Reply

I’m not sure if this is a fact, but it makes sense to me. I had a very long labor/pushing stage and delivered a day after 42 weeks but I never had any Braxton Hicks! So maybe the fact that you are is a good sign that your body will be a bit more prepped? Who knows, we are all so different. But use these to figure out what helps you relax so when real labor hits, you’ll be more ready to go! Congratulations!!! I am loving our little man and can’t really imagine having another right now because I’m just so infatuated with him…but I will say I am looking forward to giving birth again one day!

• Nicole October 20, 2013 at 10:30 am - Reply

Wow, April, you delivered at 42 weeks?! That’s insane, but sounds like your Little Dude is happy, healthy, and perfect!