Tasty Treats and Third Cousins | a tale of two baby showers

I feel like I’ve completed a marathon since arriving in Kentucky last Wednesday. My adventure began when a geographically challenged TSA agent asked me what part of Wyoming I was from … I was wearing a shirt with the shape of Kentucky on it. Once I realized he was serious, I hurried through airport security and thanked my lucky stars the guy wasn’t piloting my plane. I flew Southwest Airlines and they (like the entire airline industry) consider pregnancy to be a disability, so I got to pre-board and sit in Seat A (next to the window) in Row 1 (with lots of leg room). They also provide Wi-Fi during the flight and I sent this Tweet for shits-and-giggles. Imagine my surprise when a Southwest employee met me at the gate in Nashville with a hot breakfast. Folks, that’s customer service! The purpose of this trip, however, was not to be entertained by TSA agents or customer-friendly airlines, but to attend baby showers — one in Louisville (Saturday) and the other in Sebree (Sunday). Let’s just say the constant traveling and moving about made this pregnant mama-to-be TIRED. It’s been a great weekend though, and I can’t even begin to express my appreciation to the wonderful friends and family who’ve “showered” us (especially Baby K) with gifts. It’s a good thing Mom is driving to Texas next month because she might need a UHaul trailer behind her SUV to haul all these goodies!

For the sake of not hurting anyone’s feelings, I won’t share individual gifts but rather the tasty treats served at the showers. Can we all observe a moment of savored delicious-ness for my favorite, most beloved, sacred, and holy Vegan Chocolate Fudge with Buttercream Chocolate Icing and Mini Chocolate Chip Cake made by Whole Foods?! One bite and you’re on cloud nine … or suffering a major sugar rush (as was I) and enjoying every moment of it. Seriously, you can’t even tell it’s vegan and it’s really good stuff.

vegancake

Of course, the rest of the (Louisville) shower participants had their own cake to enjoy. It must have tasted pretty good because there wasn’t a morsel left by the end of the party.

louisvillecake1

In Louisville, I also got to meet Chloe, my third cousin. She’s six weeks old and still has the new car smell. She was passed around like the doll-baby she is and once the majority of folks left, we got to spend quality time on the couch. If it weren’t for people constantly bothering us, Chloe and I could have napped but she seemed quite content between my pillows!!!!

FYI: this is a really great photo of me … well, minus the double-chin.

nicolechloesmall

Sunday’s weather was the exact opposite of Saturday and I’m really glad I decided to pack dark-rinse maternity jeans and a long-sleeved sweater. It started to rain at sunrise and didn’t stop until 3:00 in the afternoon, with temperatures hovering around 60. I’m not complaining but I’m glad I brought warmer clothes!!! Despite the weather, lots of people showed up for my shower in Sebree.

About two weeks ago, I dreamed that nobody showed up to either of my showers and I was left alone in a room by myself with no gifts, no friends, no family, and no cake. It was quite possibly the saddest, most pathetic dream ever.

sebreecake

Speaking of family, I finally (FINALLY!) got to meet Joslin, also a third cousin. She’s five months old and looks just like her daddy (poor thing), but I love her to pieces. Her facial expression doesn’t change, she could stare a hole through you in no time. Once again, I was left at the front of the room to open gifts (much appreciated!!!!!!!) while the cutie-patootie was passed around for everybody else to hold. I finally snatched her up while the moms, grandmothers, aunts, cousins, and friends cleaned the room and packed gifts into the vehicles. It was a win-win for me!

FYI: another good picture of me, minus the four chins in this one …. I need a chin reduction. Geesh!

nicolejoslinsmall

I’m in Kentucky for a few more days — no worries, Husband has plenty of food to eat and clothes to wear. I fully expect more visits with family and friends. I realized the other night that my next trip home will include more luggage, Husband, and a BABY. That’s a tiny bit scary!!!!!!

2013

By | 2013-09-30T04:00:24+00:00 September 30th, 2013|Blog|0 Comments

1. Dawn September 30, 2013 at 10:34 am - Reply

Love it! Can’t wait to “shower” you here! Be safe and enjoy!

2. juliegrimmett September 30, 2013 at 11:08 am - Reply

What pretty (and delicious looking) cakes! And how fun to have lots of showers 🙂

• Nicole September 30, 2013 at 10:45 pm - Reply

Julie, we are BEYOND blessed! It’s been great to just be home and visit family and friends, the “showers of gifts” is the cherry on top!!!!!

3. Melissa Swedoski September 30, 2013 at 12:06 pm - Reply

You are one lucky mama-to-be to have that much love and family and friends surrounding you. And free breakfast! Woot!

• Nicole September 30, 2013 at 10:47 pm - Reply

Oh my goodness, Melissa, can you believe the RANDOM act of kindness from Southwest Airlines?! I loved it, they have mastered the art of customer service for sure! As for my family and friends, I’m truly BLESSED and Baby Kamden is one spoiled rotten little boy. He’s going to want for nothing and the gifts we’ve received already are above and beyond. =)

4. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin September 30, 2013 at 1:18 pm - Reply

so …you are here in my hometown…enjoy your KY stay…It looks like you partied hearty with the baby showers…How fun!

• Nicole September 30, 2013 at 10:48 pm - Reply

Awwww, another Kentucky girl!!!!!! This place will ALWAYS be home to me, no matter what. I’m definitely enjoying the time here — especially since I won’t be back for a while. On a happier note, the next time I’m home, I’ll be toting around Baby Kamden!!!!!!

5. Wilma September 30, 2013 at 1:33 pm - Reply

So happy that you had the two wonderful showers while you are home. Your Dad told me each night how he sat looking through the gifts. He is going to be such a proud grand dad when Baby K arrives.
    I think you looked beautiful. I can tell by your face that you have lost some weight. I think I weighed less after my babies were born than before I got pregnant. Enjoy the rest of your time in Ky and take care.
    Hugs, Cuz

• Nicole September 30, 2013 at 10:50 pm - Reply

Thanks, Wilma. It’s been a great trip and the showers were AMAZING. We’re so fortunate and blessed BEYOND measure. I’m getting up WAYYYYYY early tomorrow to go play on the farm — I miss my “brothers” and this time of year requires me to visit them in the fields or go without seeing them. I’d much rather see them and have to “work” than not see them at all. Hugs to you all in Michigan!!!!!

6. Rebekah September 30, 2013 at 3:45 pm - Reply

So exciting!! I LOVE that Southwest brought you breakfast! That’s great!! 🙂

• Nicole September 30, 2013 at 10:50 pm - Reply

Oh my stars, Rebekah, can you believe the LEVEL of customer service?! And it was totally random too!!!!! I’m thinking about sending them another Tweet when I’m at the airport Wednesday just to see what I might get on the return flight. HAHAHAHA

7. Taylor @ Pink Heels Pink Truck September 30, 2013 at 6:54 pm - Reply

Ohhh man…I want some cake!! So glad you had a great time!!

• Nicole September 30, 2013 at 10:52 pm - Reply

It’s totally YOUR fault that I’ve been craving chocolate cake, Taylor!!!!!! Seriously, though, one bite of this cake and my head is spinning round and round. In fact, I’ve not finished a single slice. I eat the cake and — as much as I love icing — I can’t finish it. LOL

8. […] scared, excited, thrilled, overwhelmed, anxious, and every emotion imaginable! I realized — while visiting Kentucky for two baby showers — that Baby Kamden is due in 12 weeks. Y’all, I said TWELVE WEEKS! It’s insane to […]