Where were you on 9/11/01?

I was in Ms. Catlett’s Honors English IV class with seniors at Webster County High School in Dixon, KY. During our lesson, Ms. Catlett excused herself to the hallway to speak with Mrs. Sholar, our principal. Ms. Catlett returned and immediately turned on the television. NBC’s TODAY Show had a live view of black smoke coming out of one of the World Trade Center towers. Moments later, to my horror, I witnessed the second plane crash into the south tower.

Black smoke bellowed out of the World Trade Center towers and I saw people jump 70-90 stories to their deaths. I watched the south tower collapse. I watched people on the ground, covered in dust and debris, run through the streets to avoid the massive dust cloud. At 10:28 am, I watched the second tower fall. At 17 years old, I knew the world had just changed forever.

flag_pole_cleburne

At the time of this tragedy, I was yearbook editor at Webster County High School. I felt responsible for memorializing the events of September 11, 2011 not only for my classmates and teachers, but future generations as well. Ms. Catlett helped me collect newspapers from around the world with headlines and photographs depicting the nightmare. We created a collage of images and I wrote an editorial. As tragic as the day was for this country, I’m proud that 9/11/01 will always be a part of WCHS and the Trojan Yearbook.

On this September 11, and every day, I honor and remember the victims, heroes, and those serving in the armed forced who protect our freedoms.

God bless you and God bless the United States of America.

2013

By |2013-09-11T09:02:20+00:00September 11th, 2013|Blog|0 Comments

1. Whitney September 11, 2013 at 9:19 am - Reply

I was working on a patient, we had the tv on the Today show, and I remember seeing the horrible acts and feeling that same feeling. Every. Single. Time. I hear 9/11 I have a vision of exactly where I was and what was happening around me. I also hear Alan Jackson singing (in my head) Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning…
    I don’t feel that I’m ‘old enough’ to have such memories of a tragic day, I thought those were for ‘old’ people (like hearing them talk of Pearl Harbor, etc.)
    Love You Neighbor & hope to see you in a couple weeks….

• Nicole September 11, 2013 at 10:52 am - Reply

Whitney, you’re absolutely correct. It’s like every generation has its own tragedy to remember: The Great Depression, Vietnam, Pearl Harbor, JFK’s assassination, and Sept 11. What’s even more unbelievable: my middle school students were infants in 2001, meaning they have NO RECOLLECTION of the day whatsoever. It’s just a story in a history book to them.

P.S. I hope to see you soon too!!!!!!! BIG HUGS

2. Meredith September 11, 2013 at 1:31 pm - Reply

I was at home getting ready for high school when I saw the second plane crash into the second tower. I will never forget that day and how solemn school was. No one taught a lesson, our eyes were glued to the TV. I will also never forget how weird it was to see no planes in the sky for days. I will always be thankful and grateful to those who passed and those who risked their lives for the country!

• Nicole September 11, 2013 at 4:19 pm - Reply

Meredith, my classmates and I were glued to the TV all day as well. It’s a day I’ll never forget.

Blessings,
      N

3. Celeste Zachry September 12, 2013 at 5:30 am - Reply

I was teaching English at DeSoto High School, outside Dallas. It was my conference period and I watched the entire event on TV. It was especially traumatic because we had separated from the Army only months before and I had no idea what it might mean for Brandon. We have been forever changed by this atrocity, for sure.

• Nicole September 12, 2013 at 10:11 am - Reply

Absolutely, Celeste. I’m grateful my English teacher ignored the advice of administrators and allowed her students to watch the events unfold in New York, Pennsylvania, and Washington DC. Witnessing that plane crash into the second building is something I will never EVER forget.