OKC National Memorial

Earlier this week, I drove to Oklahoma City to visit my aunt while she attended the Southern States Correctional Association annual conference. Unbeknownst to her, I was attending Tuesday night’s award banquet to watch her receive a lifetime achievement award for 30-plus years of service in criminal justice with the Kentucky Department of Corrections.

Thanks to Becka at Kiki La Rue for recommending this amazing black maxi dress for the occasion. It was not only modest and flattering, but also very comfortable for my growing pregnant belly!

While in town, several of us walked the few blocks between our hotel and the convention center to the Oklahoma City National Memorial site. We actually visited the memorial twice, during the day and again later that night.

We come here to remember those who were killed. Those who survived and those changed forever. May all who leave here know the impact of violence. May this memorial offer comfort. Strength. Peace. Hope and serenity.

001-small-bwTeam 5
We search for the truth.
We seek justice.
The courts require it.
The victims cry for it.
And GOD demands it!

Each of the 168 chairs symbolize a life lost, with smaller chairs representing the 19 childrenĀ killed. Arranged in nine rows, one for each of the nine floors of the building, they are placed according to the floor in which those killed were working or visiting. Each bronze and stone chair rests on a glass base etched with the name of a victim. By day, the chairs seem to float above their translucent bases. By night, the glass bases illuminate as beacons of hope.

By | 2013-07-18T12:42:46+00:00 July 18th, 2013|Blog, Photography, Travel|0 Comments

1. Alyssa July 18, 2013 at 12:57 pm - Reply

Very haunting.

• Nicole July 18, 2013 at 1:04 pm - Reply

Alyssa, the site is not only beautiful and serene, but haunting like you say. I’m so glad we decided to visit at night too though, it brought an entirely new perspective plus it was also raining. Three of the smaller chairs represent unborn babies, three of the women killed were pregnant at the time of the bombing. So, so sad.

2. Julie July 18, 2013 at 1:22 pm - Reply

What a beautiful memorial, just too bad that it is associated to such a heinous act. Congratulations to your Aunt…that is quite an accomplishment. And I must say that pregnancy agrees with you….you look amazing!!!!!!

3. Celeste Zachry July 18, 2013 at 2:53 pm - Reply

These chairs are so beautiful and I’m grateful they are forever there. I’m glad you and Peanut were there with your aunt to celebrate her and all she has given to KY.

• Nicole July 18, 2013 at 2:59 pm - Reply

Peanut and I had a blast. We were also in very good hands in OKC with department of corrections from 14 Southern states — can you say SAFE?! They definitely know how to celebrate, have fun, and drink their adult beverages too!!!! I laughed until I cried …. and ran to the bathroom as quickly as possible on several occasions! LOL

4. MaitoMike July 19, 2013 at 4:26 am - Reply

To imagine how much thought was put into this memorial.. it’s ingenious, but also very haunting (as Alyssa had mentioned). It must’ve been quite emotional for you to walk among those chairs.

• Nicole July 19, 2013 at 9:13 am - Reply

Mike, the memorial site is incredible and I love the design concept and every little detail and memory that’s preserved. From the Gates of Time to The Survivor Tree to the Field of Chairs and The Fence, every piece of it is amazing …. and chilling. If you’ve never been, I highly recommend it.

5. Regina @ Floating... July 19, 2013 at 7:44 pm - Reply

What a fun surprise for your aunt! You look fantastic Nicole!!!

• Nicole July 19, 2013 at 7:46 pm - Reply

Thank you, sweet sweet friend! My aunt was VERY surprised with the recognition and I was so excited to be able to attend and represent the family. Besides, Baby K really wanted to go. LOL

6. Sweet Tea Social | Three 31 July 21, 2013 at 12:11 am - Reply

[…] … I had a fabulous trip to Oklahoma City last week. My Aunt Kathy was in town for a conference and I attended the banquet where she received a lifetime achievement award. We also toured the OKC National Memorial. Did you see my photos? […]