First Trimester // the good, the bad, and the ugly

This is my last pregnancy post for a while. This kid hasn’t even arrived and it’s stealing the spotlight. If you missed the pregnancy announcement, click here. Instead of boring you with weekly or monthly pregnancy updates, I’ll share trimester milestones.

How far along?:  15 weeks

Total weight gain/loss: Down 7 pounds … I’m working out twice a day too.

The Baby Bump: I don’t have a defined baby bump.

Maternity Clothes:  No maternity wear yet, but this won’t last much longer. I’m currently wearing a pair of shorts that I wore two years ago. I’ve been looking at maternity/nursing bras to contain my growing boobs though. Husband likes the change, but I need to get “the girls” under control. The most frustrating part of buying maternity clothes — and being plus size — is finding clothes that cover the Three B’s (butt, belly, and boobs).

Gender:  We should know by the end of July!

What I’m looking forward to:  feeling the baby move … when we had the first ultrasound, we saw the baby flip around and wave its hand at us.

Worst Moments:  Besides the gallbladder episode and hospital visit, I passed out at the OB’s office during a blood draw. Even though I’ve had zero symptoms (i.e. morning sickness), I’ve had several emotional breakdowns. I worry about my weight. I worry about the baby’s health. I worry about being a good mom and raising a smart, compassionate child.

Best Moments:  Husband is a God send. His calm, cool, collected demeanor balances my worrying ways. He is my pillar of support and rational thinker when I’m upset, worried, or stressed. He also makes me laugh and reminds me there’s nothing we can’t do together. When I’m really upset, we will watch shows like 16 & Pregnant and Teen Mom!!!!!!!!

Missing anything:  I wish Nannie, my great-grandmother, were still alive to see me pregnant and meet her great-great-grand baby. She used to sing “You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are gray” and rock me until I fell asleep. I wish she were here to rock my child too. I miss everybody in Kentucky and wish there were fewer miles between us. I’ve already warned Husband that the miles on our vehicles and airline miles are going to increase significantly once Baby K arrives!

Cravings: Cap’n Crunch + Berries cereal, cantaloupe, pineapple, strawberries, grapefruit, PB+J sandwiches, ice water with lime or lemon, Ancho Chile BBQ chicken burrito at Qdoba, and Smoky Tomato dressing. But not all together – yuck!!!!!

Symptoms:  Besides the occasional stomach cramp that Husband calls growing pains, I’ve been very fortunate. I’ve heard horror stories from other pregnant mamas-t0-be!!!!

Sleep: No disruption in my sleep patterns, except for an additional trip (or two) to the bathroom to pee!

Memorable Dreams: Now THIS is where my pregnancy has been interesting. Holy smokes!!! My dreams have been down right bizarre! Here are just a few examples of my weirdness:

• I dreamed that I spent the weekend with Ree Drummond – The Pioneer Woman – and her family on their ranch in Oklahoma. I wanted to cook a meal for them but I couldn’t find any cookware or utensils.
  • I dreamed that I got up close and personal with country star Luke Bryan. I pinched his butt and kissed him on the cheek. When I shared this information with Husband, he rolled his eyes and said, “Woman, you are absolutely nuts. Those prenatal vitamins are crazy pills!!!!!!”
  • I dreamed that my car wouldn’t start so I walked to the fire station (it’s not that far from our house) and asked to borrow a fire engine, which I then drove to the grocery store.
  • I dreamed that I left the garage open and a pack of llamas moved in overnight. The next morning, Husband (wearing underwear and boots) chased a llama down the driveway.

Seriously, people — you can’t make this stuff up!!!!!!!

Movement:  Nope, not yet.

Names:  I’ve had names picked out for a really long time. Regardless of gender, the baby’s first name will begin with the letter K — just like their Daddy!

Nursery progress: We’ve done nothing to prepare a bedroom for Baby K except for clean out a closet and move the bedroom furniture to another room. I have a design/theme in mind though. I want the nursery to be simple and classic, not cheesy or too baby-ish. In other words, I don’t want to redecorate this kid’s room. I purchased this set of prints and will get white frames soon. Do you like?

mannersprint

Milestones:  May 19 — found out I was 9 weeks pregnant while in the hospital with gallstones; June 6 — first ultrasound with OB; June 20 — I passed out at the OB’s office while the nurse drew blood; June 22 — we shared the news with Husband’s parents; June 27 — went to Kentucky to tell my parents and family.

Expected Due Date: Sunday, December 22

Goals for 2nd trimester:  (1) Exercise daily. (2) Finalize baby registry. (3) Consult with surgeon about gallbladder surgery. (4) Enjoy being pregnant!

The content of this post was inspired by Hello Bee.

By |2013-07-05T00:15:41+00:00July 5th, 2013|Blog|0 Comments

1. Jody Johnson July 5, 2013 at 12:32 am - Reply

You are going to be a super-duper mom!!! I really like the prints and your idea not to re-decorate until “they” want something else. My husband always makes me laugh too….that is the reason I married him. Enjoy this time in your life…it is very special.

• Nicole July 5, 2013 at 8:51 am - Reply

awww thanks! A husband that makes his wife laugh is the best kind of all. =)

2. Wilma Puckett Hagedorn July 5, 2013 at 8:59 am - Reply

Worrying comes with the territory of having kids, Nicole. Thats normal. The dreams are funny and gave me a laugh. At least some of them make sense. Especially about the one of pinching Luke’s butt. Every woman’s dream.. So stop worrying. Everything will work out. Enjoy as much as you can. Before long that little bundle of joy will keep you so busy, you won’t have time to dream, lol. All the rest will come naturally. I love the little prints for the baby’s room.

• Nicole July 5, 2013 at 9:13 am - Reply

I hope these crazy dreams continue, it’s great comic relief!!!!!

3. Lindsey Steele July 5, 2013 at 9:09 am - Reply

Girl you are so lucky! I got sick every morning at 530am for the first four months at least. I didn’t really have any cravings though. Nothing really sounded good after getting sick all of the time. I have been so excited and have said something to Josh about it every day that I have known that you are pregnant. I am just so excited for you and Kevin. If you need any advice on what to get and what not to get, just let me know. I know we have only had Joslin for a few months but you look back and realize things you need and things you don’t really need. It is such a blessing and I can’t wait to meet that little peanut! Congrats again!

• Nicole July 5, 2013 at 9:19 am - Reply

If it had not been for the ER visit with gallstones, I would not even know I was pregnant. Plus, my periods have been so irregular this year that I would not have even considered pregnancy. Amazing how the human body works. I know I’m extremely lucky with the symptoms though, but Mom was the same way. In fact, she was 4 months along before she found out too. I’m definitely using you an a “pregnancy consultant” especially with the registry!

4. Mayre Lee July 5, 2013 at 10:08 am - Reply

“You Are My Sunshine” is our family song for kids too. I always add Cha Cha Cha. I even have a rocker that my mother, Pam & I, my two children and grand kids were rocked in. All except my mother while singing that song. I can’ t wait to hear that you have felt the first flutter–HOW EXCITING! I like the prints !!! I think You and Kevin will be marvelous parents. Worrying is in the job description for a mother. No matter how old they are, they are still your little boy or girl. I look forward to hearing all of your good reports!!! ML

• Nicole July 5, 2013 at 2:33 pm - Reply

I have a glider/rocker picked out for the nursery and I also have the little rocker that has been in my Dad’s family for 5 generations. Peanut will have his/her own rocking chair!!!!!

5. Lisa D. July 5, 2013 at 10:13 am - Reply

Love this! 🙂 I’m so excited for you. You’re going to be a great mom. Can we have an online baby shower for you? I can’t wait to find out the gender, so I can send you brachytherapy baby things. 🙂

• Lisa D. July 5, 2013 at 10:14 am - Reply

Wtf? Brachytherapy? I tried to type “beachy”. My phone should know that word by now. 😐

• Nicole July 5, 2013 at 2:38 pm - Reply

I laughed so hard at this. Brachytherapy sounds like some vocal chord disorder!

• Nicole July 5, 2013 at 2:37 pm - Reply

Brachytherapy? I think that sunburn fried a few brain cells of yours!!!!! hahahaha I’ve not considered an online baby shower, how does that work? We find out the gender at the next OB appointment with an anatomy screening. Aunt Lisa is welcome to take Peanut to the beach anytime!!!!!

• Stephanie Cole Turner July 6, 2013 at 12:18 pm - Reply

Once you register at like Wal-Mart, Babies’R’Us and such, they have it online where people can purchase the items on your registery & have them shipped to you.

• Nicole July 6, 2013 at 12:27 pm - Reply

I’m registering at Babies R’Us and Amazon.com so it’s easy (and in some cases, FREE) shipping for friends and family. Thank goodness for virtual shopping, right?!

6. You’re going to be a fabulous momma! Your kindness, generosity and loving spirit is going to raise a beautiful child. I am so happy for you!!

• Nicole July 5, 2013 at 3:03 pm - Reply

Kimberly, you are too kind!!!!! I hope some of my ‘good’ traits rub off on this kid for sure … if not, they’re doomed!!! HAHAHAHA

7. Regina @ Floating... July 5, 2013 at 8:32 pm - Reply

As long as you continue to blog along the way, writing about all of the crazy things that happen to us when we are preggers. Congrats lady! I’m so happy for you and Husband!!!

• Nicole July 5, 2013 at 11:24 pm - Reply

Thank you! Thank you! As crazy as my dreams have been thus far, I can’t imagine what will happen next. =)

8. Barbara G. Howard July 5, 2013 at 9:08 pm - Reply

Nicole, you are going to make a super good MOM!! WORRYING IS A PART OF IT!! I like the prints, too! December kids are special-just ask me!! I’m one!! LOL I have a wooden cradle that was handmade and was used by the Franz family and was used by my granddaughter. I had my dolls in it, but I don”t have room for it in my new house. It was handmade by T.L. Jones and I bought it at LORD’S ACRE. I would love for you to have it for Baby K. and then you could pass it on if you would like to have it. We can deliver it to you. It’s pretty big and in very good condition.

• Nicole July 5, 2013 at 11:25 pm - Reply

Awww, Barbara, you are so sweet!!!!! Thank you! Thank you!

• Georgia McDaniel July 6, 2013 at 9:34 am - Reply

Nicole Marie Nana and I are cracking up…CLEAN YOUR ROOM , your mom needed that for your room when you were growing up!!!

• Nicole July 6, 2013 at 11:20 am - Reply

I still need this sign!!!!!! =)

9. Sara Elizabeth July 6, 2013 at 12:07 pm - Reply

This makes my heart so happy!! I love the prints you ordered for the nursery, I can’t wait to see what you put together!! You’re going to be an amazing momma and I can’t wait to see more updates!! Keeping you & baby K in my prayers 🙂

• Nicole July 6, 2013 at 12:25 pm - Reply

Thank you, sweet Friend!!!!!!!!

10. Breanna July 8, 2013 at 10:45 pm - Reply

aw yay! Congratulations gal! How exciting! You guys will be amazing parents!

• Nicole July 8, 2013 at 10:47 pm - Reply

Thank you! Thank you! We were shocked at the news, but we are definitely excited about this new chapter in our lives. Big hugs! =)