Our Pregnancy Announcement to Our Parents

When it came time to announce our pregnancy to our parents, Husband and I wanted to tell them in-person, which meant a two-hour drive to East Texas and a trip to Kentucky. Obviously, careful planning and coordination was required. I wanted to make our announcement special and unique by giving both sets of grandparents a keepsake item. Finally, after several hours of searching Pinterest and Etsy for ideas and shops, plus Husband’s nod of approval, I purchased custom “due date” onesies from Simply Baby Shop, an Etsy store.

Note: I had these onesies made with Baby K’s due date as December 28. However, after our official sonogram with my OB, the due date was set for December 22. Just a minor detail, right?!

Announcement Onesie

simplybabyAnnouncement Onesie from Simply Baby Shop

Our trip to Kentucky was amazing. My parents were completely SHOCKED when they opened the box with the onesie inside. The celebration continued on Saturday when our extended family (about 30 people) came to Mom and Dad’s for a cook-out. As everybody gathered inside to eat, I wrapped my arms around both grandmothers and made a big announcement.

Nana Neenie

“I need to make an announcement … I have awesome grandmothers
and I’m making them GREAT-grandmothers this December!”

Utter chaos began! There were screams. There were tears. There was some disbelief, even confusion. I had to tell the whole story all over again, but I assured them that I really did have gallstones! Everybody is very excited and we can’t wait for Baby K to arrive. It’s definitely going to be an exciting Christmas!

In addition to telling our parents and extended family, I also had a custom onesie made for Brian, my cousin currently serving in Afghanistan. He left last week and was unable to attend our celebratory “announcement” weekend. I found an Etsy story with military-inspired baby gear and customized the wording a bit. We sent this picture to him:

Army Cousin

siblingspecialteesArmy Onesie from Sibling Special-Tees

Once the family knew, this announcement spread like wildfire. Within minutes, phones were ringing non-stop. I posted the news to Facebook late Saturday night and within an hour more than 150 people “liked” and/or commented with their congratulations. This kid is already extremely blessed and very loved. They’re spoiled rotten … just like me!!!!

By | 2013-07-03T00:36:38+00:00 July 3rd, 2013|Blog|0 Comments

1. Taylor @ Pink Heels Pink Truck July 3, 2013 at 12:42 am - Reply

happy dance!!! 🙂

• Nicole July 3, 2013 at 7:36 am - Reply

Remember that funny pic somebody took of me at the blogger/bowling event?! That’s the extent of my dancing skills!!!!!!! Plus, the joke’s all on us because I was pregnant then and didn’t even know it. LOL

2. fredsfamily July 3, 2013 at 8:43 am - Reply

I know what the center topic for discussion is going to be when I see your mom and dad this September. I can’t wait to see them. Congrats Nicole and Husband.

• Nicole July 3, 2013 at 10:23 am - Reply

Thank you! When are you coming in September? Right now, my plan is to return to Kentucky the last week of September for another visit, before I am restricted and must remain close to home! Hope all is well. Sending big hugs! =)

3. Alyssa July 3, 2013 at 10:05 am - Reply

How sweet!! If Baby K comes just two days early on the 20th, we’ll share a birthday! All the best people are born on December 20th…

• Nicole July 3, 2013 at 10:24 am - Reply

Hey! Hey! Some of us awesome people (Yours Truly) was born on Dec 17 …… but I don’t want to share my birthday with this Lil’ Shit!!!!!! Yes, I’m a spoiled only child. LOL As long as he/she is healthy, has 10 fingers and toes, and says “Mama” first, that’s all that matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All joking aside, Dec 20 would be great. It’s not my birthday and it’s not Christmas either. =)

4. Wilma July 3, 2013 at 10:48 am - Reply

I’m so happy for all of you, Nicole. I’ve talked to your Dad and have told him to be prepared to have his heart expanded a whole lot with this new grandbaby. Your Mom and Dad will be wonderful grandparents. I know this little one will have all the love and support from your entire loving family and neighbors/friends that he/she will be able to handle.. again, Congrats

• Nicole July 3, 2013 at 11:02 am - Reply

Thank you! Thank you! It’s going to be an exciting Christmas this year, for sure. We are all very excited. Sending big hugs! =)

5. YAYYYYYYY!! I love how you announced this. I am so excited for you and can’t wait to send presents 🙂 🙂

• Nicole July 3, 2013 at 11:03 am - Reply

Thank you! Thank you! The grandparents-to-be loved their keepsake onesies, so they were a big success. The rest of our family is beside themselves with excited, this kid is going to be so spoiled! Sending big hugs to you, friend. =)

6. Chief Cindy Cato, Retired July 3, 2013 at 11:05 am - Reply

That’s awesome the way you went about telling this amazing and exciting news!!! This kid doesn’t even know yet how very blessed and fortunate he/she already is to the world!!! I’m so excited for you and Kevin and I know this kid will be one of those really amazing kids..just like their parents…please, make sure whenever you see a cop, you don’t ever tell the wee tot that if they don’t behave that the cop will get them if they don’t act right!!! That always chaffs me…that’s one of those people that they need to trust if something is wrong and they need help!!! Sending love to you in, Texas…

• Nicole July 3, 2013 at 11:09 am - Reply

Thank you! Thank you! This kid is already spoiled rotten, but I assure you one thing: when he/she misbehaves, I’m whoopin’ their ass, their Daddy’s gonna whoop their ass, and then we’ll send them to YOU for another ass-whoopin!!!!!!!! Not. Even. Joking.

I am so sorry we didn’t have time for a visit, but I plan to return to KY in September and I want to hug your sweet neck.

Big hugs! Love you!

7. Chief Cindy Cato, Retired July 3, 2013 at 11:17 am - Reply

Awwww…..a woman that already knows how to be a momma!!!! I know you’ll be wonderful mother, because I know what a good momma you have!!! We learn how to be mothers from ours and I think we both have great teachers!!! I can only imagine how your parents are feeling!!!! You know I believe in whoopin’ that ass!!! Ask that boy o mine…lol I think I did pretty good with him.

I know your time is very limited when you come to the Bluegrass, but I sure would welcome a visit and a good ol neck huggin’!!!

Love you too, my friend!!!

8. thejavamama July 3, 2013 at 11:00 pm - Reply

I LOVE IT! Such a cute idea and I love how excited everyone was 🙂 If it’s a girl she’s going to be Connor’s future wifey mmmmmkay??? xoxo

• Nicole July 4, 2013 at 9:41 am - Reply

Thank you! Thank you! Okay, I will happily agree to an arranged marriage if Cutie-Patootie Connor is involved. But I really, really, really want to be the mother of my husband’s son. I know, I’m crazy!!!!!!

9. Kathrin July 4, 2013 at 12:15 am - Reply

aw congrats!! the onesies are soo cute!!

• Nicole July 4, 2013 at 9:28 am - Reply

Thank you! We are very excited too. =)

10. lovelylici1986 July 4, 2013 at 2:20 pm - Reply

I love it! Such an awesome way to let everyone know.
    My stomach got all crazy when I read the part where you said you’re making your grandmothers great-grandmothers. What a special moment, and a special gift for them, and the whole family! Wishing you all the very best!

• Nicole July 4, 2013 at 4:21 pm - Reply

Thank you, Sweet Friend!!!! It’s an exciting time for all of us. I am the *ONLY* granddaughter on BOTH sides of the family, so this kid is already super-spoiled!!!! In the picture, this will be Nana’s (on the right) first great-grandchild. Neenie (on the left) has one great-grandchild. FUN TIMES!

11. The Year in Review | 2013 | Three 31 December 10, 2013 at 12:01 am - Reply

[…] What did you get really, really, really excited about? We announced our pregnancy to our parents with custom onesies. […]

12. Finish This #13 | Three 31 April 2, 2014 at 12:19 am - Reply

[…] blog parts for a while, you’ve read my pregnancy posts about how we found out I was pregnant, how we announced to our families we were expecting, and Kamden’s birth story. It’s been quite the year, to say the least! Yesterday, April […]