One + One = Three?

I’m pregnant.

I’ve been keeping this little peanut (literally) of knowledge a secret so long, even Husband is surprised I kept quiet. We shared the news with our parents — including a trip to Kentucky to tell everybody in person. Now, it’s time to tell our secret!

To say this announcement comes as a surprise is an understatement. I know HOW this happened, but the story of WHEN we learned Baby K existed goes back to May:

May 19 at midnight — Husband rushed me to the ER with the most excruciating pain in my chest, stomach, and back. Once I was admitted and the doctor examined me, gall stones were suspected and an MRI was ordered to confirm. Later, the ER doctor re-appeared and announced in the most calm, relaxed voice:

Mrs. Hutchison, we cannot move forward with the MRI. Instead, you’re going to have a sonogram because you’re pregnant!

Wait, what? Pregnant? What do you mean I’m pregnant?

This startling news made me cry hysterically, which made the pain worse, which made me cry more. I hyperventilated, causing nurses to rush in and put monitors and an oxygen mask on me. I wailed for hours.

Later, a sonographer came in to my room. Before she looked at my gallbladder, she touched the hand wand to my abdomen and examined the fetus. Even though I couldn’t see the monitor screen, I heard the baby’s heartbeat. She took a few measurements and estimated me to be 8 weeks with a due date of December 28.

I. HAD. NO. IDEA.

The sonographer continued her exam and confirmed gall stones. A while later, the doctor returned and explained more tests had been ordered by a gastroenterologist. Thus, I would be transported via ambulance to the hospital in downtown Fort Worth. Once we completed a bit of paperwork, the doctor asked the million dollar question:

When was the last day of your last menstrual cycle?

{insert a really long pause}

The honest-to-goodness answer to this question: I don’t really know.

I explained the “female issues” I experienced in February and March, causing me to have irregular periods. After several days of persistent pain and discomfort, I scheduled an appointment with my gynecologist. All tests came back clear, including my Pap, but the doctor prescribed an antibiotic and sent me home to rest. Two weeks later, I was diagnosed with shingles. In April, I had another irregular period but thought, no big deal – you’ve been stressed and sick. Then May arrived … along with gall stones and a surprise!

Keeping this pregnancy a secret has been really difficult. It’s also been an emotional roller coaster. I’ve been worried about many things, including my weight and the development of this baby. I am heavier than I should be and I’m fully aware of the associated risks. I remind myself a million times a day. With the gallbladder issue, my diet has improved and I’m eating 4-6 small meals consisting of whole grains, fruit, vegetables, lean meat, and “pregnancy safe” seafood (salmon, shrimp, cod, and tilapia). I’ve had no fried foods, sweet tea, or caffeine since my hospitalization.

I also panicked thinking about the baby’s development. I worried about the medications I had taken (anti-viral for shingles and antihistamines for allergies) and the few drinks I had had with friends. Immediately, I felt like a failure. Luckily, my OB calmed me down by explaining the medications I had taken and the few drinks I had had were not as harmful to the fetus as I had imagined. In addition to my improved diet, I’m on a daily regimen of prenatal vitamins, calcium and vitamin D supplement, and an additional dose of DHA and Omega-3. To date, and under close supervision of my doctor, I’ve lost 6 pounds.

Husband and I had our first sonogram with Dr.W (my OB) on June 6. She provided a more accurate EDD (estimated due date) of December 22, which means I’m 15 weeks. Baby K’s due date puts him/her between my birthday (December 17) and Christmas.

A couple weeks ago, I had another OB check-up and sonogram. Husband and I elected to have genetic testing done because he has a family member (first cousin) with Down Syndrome. Those results, plus the gender, should be here mid-July.

In regards to the gallstones, we finally received the hospital bill and I’m so thankful for excellent health insurance benefits. OMG! My OB recommended a surgeon in case my gallbladder has to be removed. I am hesitant to undergo anesthesia because of the risks to the baby. However, if the gallbladder must come out, it has to be done in the second trimester. Once I enter the third trimester, surgery is not an option.

So, here I am 15 weeks pregnant trying to eat healthy and stay stress-free. Now that Baby K has been announced, I can create a baby registry, organize the nursery, and shop for maternity clothes. Being plus-size and pregnant is difficult. If I don’t find maternity wear that adequately covers the Three B’s – boobs, butt, and belly – I’ll be wearing a moo-moo for the next six months!

2013

By |2013-06-30T00:05:05+00:00June 30th, 2013|Blog, Popular|0 Comments

1. pnkheelspnktrk June 30, 2013 at 1:05 am - Reply

Omg how exciting!!! Congrats girly!!!

2. Louis June 30, 2013 at 6:47 am - Reply

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! so happy for you both !! So,hmmmmm!! Will this be Aunt Rose`s first grand baby? I think so !? Love you Cuz !!

• Nicole June 30, 2013 at 8:43 am - Reply

Thank you, Cousin Louis!!! This is actually Nana Rose’s FIRST great-grandbaby. She is beyond excited, just like the rest of the crazy bunch. Husband and I came to KY this weekend to “surprise” them all and they are all absolutely shocked but elated. I hope you are well, Georgia showed me pictures from your Florida trip. It looked amazing. Miss you! Big Hugs! Love you!

3. Celeste Zachry June 30, 2013 at 8:16 am - Reply

After we talked last night, the girls immediately got on Pinterest and began planning. Oh Lord! I hope my guest room doesn’t become Peanut’s room!

WE. ARE. SO. HAPPY!

• Nicole June 30, 2013 at 8:46 am - Reply

Husband’s response: Sweet, this kid has a place to stay and a bunch of people to watch after him/her …. plus their own Guest Room!!!!!!!!!

LOL I can’t wait to get onto Pinterest and see what all they’ve “planned” for this kid!!! I am so excited you are so excited. Miss you. =)

4. Julie June 30, 2013 at 8:55 am - Reply

Oh my goodness….I am so thrilled for you and Kevin! I can’t believe I sat with you for dinner a few weeks ago and you didn’t say a word! Christmas babies are the bomb….but I know you already know that….I am the 27th. Lets get together soon so we can talk all about it! Big hugs, love ya mama to be!!!!

• Nicole June 30, 2013 at 1:36 pm - Reply

Thank you! Thank you! We are pretty excited too, our parents and family are beside themselves. We definitely have to do dinner again soon ….. this time with Baby!!!!!

5. Alyssa June 30, 2013 at 9:34 am - Reply

Yay!! So happy for you! I can’t wait to read about your journey! And yay for moo moos!!

• Nicole June 30, 2013 at 1:36 pm - Reply

Thank you! Thank you! Moo-Moos are the bomb, they are going to be my go-to pregnancy wardrobe. LOL

6. Angela Cumbie June 30, 2013 at 2:36 pm - Reply

WooHoo!!! So happy for you!! Will you be joining us next year at Hughes?? Sure hope so!!

• Nicole June 30, 2013 at 9:37 pm - Reply

Thank you, Angela! We are definitely excited (after the shock wore off, of course!). Unfortunately, I was not offered that position. Very disappointed. Hope you are well and enjoying your summer. =)

7. Jill House June 30, 2013 at 3:39 pm - Reply

I’m really excited for ya’ll – you will be a great mother!

• Nicole June 30, 2013 at 9:38 pm - Reply

Thank you! Does my recent “silence” make sense now? When you’re hit with this kind of news, completely out of the blue, there’s not a lot I can say!!!!!!

8. aimeeberrett June 30, 2013 at 4:12 pm - Reply

Wow, congratulations Nicole! I hope this pregnancy continues to go all well for you and am so happy for you!

• Nicole June 30, 2013 at 9:38 pm - Reply

Thanks, Aimee. This was a BIG SURPRISE for us, but we are very excited. Our families are beside themselves and this will be one of my grandmother’s FIRST great-grandchild. That’s so cool!!!!!!!

9. Sara Elizabeth June 30, 2013 at 10:16 pm - Reply

I am so incredibly happy for you!!! I’ll be keeping you & baby H in my prayers in the coming months 🙂 What.A.Blessing!!

• Nicole June 30, 2013 at 10:19 pm - Reply

Thank you, Sara — it’s definitely an exciting time for us!

10. totallybrenda June 30, 2013 at 11:09 pm - Reply

congratulations. super excited to read about how your pregnancy progresses throughout the months. hope your gallbladder situation improves. 🙂

• Nicole July 1, 2013 at 8:29 am - Reply

Thank you! As for the gallbladder, I hope that little organ behaves itself too. I’m really watching what I eat — no fatty, fried foods, etc. — and so far so good. Thanks again!

11. Jody Johnson June 30, 2013 at 11:56 pm - Reply

I am so excited for you and husband!!! I pray the rest of your pregnancy is UNEVENTFUL and wonderful. No wonder you hurried away after I talked to you about your gallbladder attack and my daughter’s recent gallbladder removal at 21 weeks of her pregnancy. The light bulb is on now. 😉 Love.you.lots.

• Nicole July 1, 2013 at 8:31 am - Reply

HAHAHAHA ……. surprise! Not only did I have gallstones, but one of them had a heartbeat. LOL So far, things are going well — gallbladder and baby

12. Holli July 1, 2013 at 9:22 am - Reply

WOOHOO! Great news sweety pie. I am so happy for you. If the Dr’s feel its safe to have the surgery i would go for it so you dont have that pain to worry about later.
    No sweet tea?! How’s that going?
    Big Hugs!

• Nicole July 1, 2013 at 9:26 am - Reply

Thank you! Thank you! I have another appointment later this week and I’ll probably have a consultation with the surgeon pretty soon too, to discuss our options. As for sweet tea, I really don’t miss it. How strange of me to say that, right?! I did eat a bowl of hamburger dill sliced pickles and sweet gerkin pickles the other night. I guess that confirms I’m pregnant!!!!! LOL Hope you are well, I think of you and your family daily. Big hugs! Prayers! Love you!!!!!!

13. Crystal July 1, 2013 at 2:32 pm - Reply

Congratulations! So excited for you. And can’t wait to hear the gender. Will you be announcing it?

• Nicole July 1, 2013 at 3:01 pm - Reply

Thank you! Thank you! We elected to do genetic testing and that will also confirm the baby’s gender. We have names picked out so as soon as we know, we’ll share! =)

14. Helen (@EatEnjoyLive) July 1, 2013 at 2:40 pm - Reply

Congrats! I’m am so so so so happy for you guys. You will be an AMAZING mummy 🙂

• Nicole July 1, 2013 at 3:02 pm - Reply

Thank you! You are so sweet. We were incredibly shocked by the news, but we are definitely excited. =)

15. Lisa D. July 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm - Reply

Congrats again! I’m assuming the trip home went well? I’m so excited for you. 🙂

• Nicole July 1, 2013 at 3:07 pm - Reply

Thank you, Lisa. Yes, our trip to Kentucky went fabulously well. My parents and family went nuts, they are all so excited. =)

16. Betsy Mitchell July 2, 2013 at 8:55 am - Reply

That’s soo exciting! Congrats on your little bundle of joy!

• Nicole July 2, 2013 at 8:56 am - Reply

Thank you! Thank you! It’s definitely an exciting time in our family’s lives. =)

17. Mayre Lee July 2, 2013 at 9:03 am - Reply

I am REALLY excited about this !!! Both of you will be WONDERFUL parents !!! Love You–ML

• Nicole July 2, 2013 at 9:46 am - Reply

Thank you! We are really excited too, it’s definitely going to be an exciting Christmas this year. =)

18. Sarah @ How My World Runs July 2, 2013 at 2:06 pm - Reply

What a crazy way to find out, but congrats!

• Nicole July 2, 2013 at 2:07 pm - Reply

Thank you! Thank you! I’m glad I recorded this story, because this is definitely a story worth telling this kid once they’re older. It was definitely a shock and a big SURPRISE, but we are very excited. =)

19. Jenn L July 2, 2013 at 5:13 pm - Reply

Well congratulations!!!!! That’s really exciting. 🙂

• Nicole July 2, 2013 at 5:33 pm - Reply

Thank you! We are all very excited too, it’s going to be quite the celebratory Christmas this year!!!!!

20. lovelylici1986 July 3, 2013 at 5:54 am - Reply

*girly screams*
    So excitiiiiing!
    Congratulations!
    I’m so glad your awesomeness gets to create more awesomeness. We need more people like you in the world. I hope all goes well and you have a super pleasant pregnancy and an easy time of preparing for the big adjustment. Blessings! 🙂

• Nicole July 3, 2013 at 7:34 am - Reply

Thank you! Thank you! Your words are so incredibly sweet and I appreciate them so much. It’s support like yours that makes this adjustment and anxious time worth it. Big hugs to you, sweet friend. =)

21. […] even arrived and it’s stealing the spotlight. If you missed the pregnancy announcement, click here. Instead of boring you with weekly or monthly pregnancy updates, I’ll share trimester […]

22. Mariajose July 31, 2013 at 3:35 am - Reply

Congrats! 😀

23. […] post from this year, what would it be? I pick three ….. toured the Holy Land, announced my pregnancy, and had a funny conversation with my Baby […]

24. You asked … I answer. | Three 31 August 21, 2013 at 6:23 am - Reply

[…] I were surprised is even an understatement. If you haven’t read how we found out, read this post! Now that the shock is gone, we are over-the-moon excited and anxiously awaiting his arrival in […]

25. […] blog readers). For the record: I’ve NEVER purchased a pregnant test before yesterday. (Read this post about our pregnancy announcement, it was NOT traditional.) As soon as I got home with my legit […]

26. […] cups ….. Hydration is key during pregnancy and these cups help me drink in style. After the gallbladder incident, plus the pregnancy surprise, diet and exercise became priorities. Since May, I’ve not had […]

27. Finish This #13 | Three 31 April 2, 2014 at 12:19 am - Reply

[…] you’ve been around these blog parts for a while, you’ve read my pregnancy posts about how we found out I was pregnant, how we announced to our families we were expecting, and Kamden’s birth story. It’s […]

28. […] made fun of my big boobs in this post … then got kicked out of a wedding for being crude. Finding out I was pregnant was a big surprise. Kamden’s birth was an amazing experience. I’m a breast milk donor. […]