don’t judge a book by its cover /// Blogger Book Swap

LinkUp4-Cover (2)

I’d like to wish all the moms and non-moms a very happy mother’s day. Yes, I include the non-moms because we are awesome and deserving for a variety of reasons too.

Welcome to another great event in the P2S Blogger Book Swap! I’m glad you’re here for this link-up titled Don’t Judge A Book By Its Cover. Today’s theme is about book covers and how they impact our decision to buy (or not buy) a book. The cover of a book is, essentially, a mini-billboard. Many times, it is the deciding factor for a person about to make a purchase. The smallest details can make a big difference. I have the great respect for designers, authors, and publishers making these critical decisions!

bookcover2

Do you judge a book by its cover?

Unfortunately, yes I do. It’s easy to forget or ignore the attention to detail — not to mention time, effort, sweat, and stress — that goes into choosing a cover. While I am more likely to choose a book with an interesting cover design, I also consider the summary on the back or inside cover. I rarely let reviews from others affect my decision to purchase/not purchase a book. I like to read and form my own opinions.

How important is cover design to you?

A colorful, visually appealing cover grabs my attention, especially in a brick-and-mortar store. In this modern era of eBooks, most titles are accompanied by a nice image on sites such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Goodreads.

Share your favorite book cover.

The Girl Who Fell From The Sky — Heidi Durrow

I bought this book at Half Price Books from a clearance table, even though it was brand new.
It was not only cheap, but, once I started reading, I could not put it down.
It’s definitely a page-turner and I was not expecting the “surprise” at all.

tgwf

What book surprised you the most, despite its unappealing cover design?

Room — Emma Donoghue

Talk about a surprise, WOW! This story creeps me out, intrigues me,
consumes me, and fascinates me. I’ve shared it with several people and my copy is currently loaned out to a friend. I love this book though. The story is so unique, yet terrifying.
Unfortunately, the cover is boring compared to the contents hidden inside!

roomv2

In your opinion, what makes a book cover intriguing? Tell me in a comment!

If you’re participating in the book swap, add your post’s URL to the link-up below.

By | 2013-05-12T00:00:19+00:00 May 12th, 2013|Blogger Book Swap|0 Comments

1. Sara Strauss May 12, 2013 at 9:34 am - Reply

Great questions for the link-up!! They really made me think! It’s sad that we judge a book by the cover because unfortunately the author doesn’t always have a choice or any say at all in what the cover is. It’s hard not to judge a book by the design, but sadly I do it too. Now I really want to read The Girl Who Fell From The Sky!
    ~Sara

• Nicole May 12, 2013 at 10:40 am - Reply

Sara, I’m so glad you joined the link up! You’re absolutely right about the author’s input and say in the decision-making process. If you’ve not read Room or The Girl Who Fell From The Sky, they are both EXCELLENT books. Happy Sunday! Happy Reading! Blessings + Hugs =)

2. I definitely want to read The Girl Who Fell From the Sky and I like how they used the font to display movement. Smart choice on their part. I love covers that actually speak more on the story than anything else. I really enjoyed Room and read it during the summertime during the first year of my marriage. Ryan was in the field and I was consumed by reading, because there wasn’t much else to do. Telling it through the child’s perspective was a great choice and one that was definitely not expected. I don’t know if you’ve read The Book Thief but it’s Death’s perspective during WWII as he follows the life of a little girl. The narrator captivates me almost me a little more than the story does but I like it! Thanks for sharing and being your awesome self =]

• Nicole May 12, 2013 at 2:26 pm - Reply

Oh wow, The Book Thief sounds VERY interesting. I’m glad you liked Room … I’ve yet to meet someone who did NOT like it. Which is always a great thing! =)

3. Regina May 12, 2013 at 5:20 pm - Reply

I started Room but did not continue – I think I needed a happier read at the time. I will go back to it. I’ve added “The Girl Who Fell From the Sky” to my wish list. Someday…

• Nicole May 12, 2013 at 5:43 pm - Reply

They are really great books, Regina!!!!

4. […] this week’s link up to Preview to Summer Blogger Book Swap, we are answering the following […]

5. angieeatspeace May 13, 2013 at 10:03 am - Reply

I would have never guessed that from Room. I have not read it, but have seen the cover and thought it was about kids or something. Great topic for the link up! Thanks!

• Nicole May 13, 2013 at 12:08 pm - Reply

If you’ve not read Room, you seriously need to read it. It’s awesome. Surprising. Intriguing. Scary. You’ve got to read it!!!!!

6. Kyla May 13, 2013 at 2:15 pm - Reply

I completely agree with you about the cover of Room! I actually used it in my post too haha!

• Nicole May 13, 2013 at 3:22 pm - Reply

Awesome-sauce!!!!! I loved the book Room, even though it creeped me out. It’s one of those books you can’t stop reading, like watching a train wreck! =)

7. Mariajose May 26, 2013 at 3:16 am - Reply

I actually like both of the covers. I look for a simple cover. If it’s been turned into a movie, I want the cover without the movie people. It looks centralized, organized and it gives you a sense of mystery. If it gives me a picture I easily lose focus trying to read the book figuring out where the cover picture is set.

8. […] this week’s link up to Preview to Summer Blogger Book Swap, we are answering the following […]