Five Books Every Young Woman Should Read

For the record: creating this list was really difficult. There are so many books I’ve enjoyed and read over and over again, but I finally made my final cut for this list of Five (5) Books Every Young Woman Should Read:

Gone With The Wind — Margaret Mitchell

If you are a Southern Woman, this book should already be on your bookshelf or e-reader. If not, check yourself! Every young woman needs to read this book, because there are going to be days when you are feeling like the spoiled rotten Scarlett and there will be days when you don’t give a damn either, like Rhett Butler!

MWF Seeking BFF — Rachel Bertsche

I don’t remember how I was introduced to this book, but I know I read it after ending a friendship I had had since college. We were at different places in our lives, that’s I will say about it. Needless to say, I read this book at a pivotal time in my life. It was fascinating and enlightening, and I praise Rachel Bertsche for taking on such a commitment (especially as a newlywed!) to “interview” potential friend candidates! It’s a cool concept and I am more willing to step outside of my comfort zone to pursue genuine, more meaningful friendships now. There were several tough lessons to learn and realities to accept: 1) living in a different place than where I grew up, folks ’round here don’t know me so I’m not as popular as I think I am; 2) friendships take time …. and lots of it; 3) you won’t be friends with everyone and this is okay; and 4) Quality is better than quantity ….. it’s better to have four quarters than 100 pennies!

Letter To My Daughter — Maya Angelou

I love Maya Angelou. I don’t love her in a weird, celebrity stalker kind of way. No. I love her as an honorable, grace-filled, intelligent and generous woman who has been through the trenches and mentors every woman, no matter our age, skin color, nationality, or religious belief. I love the way she writes, as if she is writing every word to me. In Letter To My Daughter, Maya writes to the daughter she never had but sees in all women and girls around her. She teaches readers to live well and live a life with meaning and purpose.

The Joy of Cooking — Irma Rombauer

Ladies, even if you don’t like to cook, at least learn a few basic skills. I cannot imagine NOT enjoying the cooking and baking processes, but I know lots of people (men and women …. Husband being one of them) who hate to cook. Fortunately for them, they know my table is open anytime and they will leave my house with a sated belly. But I encourage all women – young and old – to have at least five go-to recipes that they can whip up in a moment’s notice. If you are still hesitant, invest in quality cookware. It’s like wearing your big girl panties and people will take you more serious!

Book of Ruth — The Holy Bible

I saved my favorite for last ….. the Book of Ruth is a tale of two women (one Jewish, one non-Jew) who, through death, drama, and Divine Intervention create a story for the ages. It is an intimate story of family, relationships, and loyalty to both. The Book of Ruth also teaches inclusiveness for all people, Christians and Jews alike, and reminds us all that God can create extraordinary things from the ordinary and anybody can be used as God’s instrument if he/she so chooses. After all, Ruth was the great-grandmother of King David and, ultimately, connected to Jesus himself!

What are some of your favorite books? Tell me in a comment below!

By | 2013-04-28T00:05:57+00:00 April 28th, 2013|Blogger Book Swap|0 Comments

1. Martie @ Spunkyrella April 28, 2013 at 1:02 pm - Reply

Don´t know any of your picks. Gulp. But this defintely adds to my ever-growing to-read-list 😉

• Nicole April 28, 2013 at 1:42 pm - Reply

Martie, you’re so funny! No worries, there are LOTS of books I haven’t read that I should/need to read!!!!!!

2. Gone with the Wind is one of my favorite movies and I love Rhett Butler…omg debonair! I have always wanted to read it but the size of it has always been a little intimidating. One day I will tackle and enjoy that beast! I also love Maya Angelou and I think she is such a testament to the power and strength of women. MWF Seeking BFF always looks so good. I journal, and last night, I did some deep reflection over the time I spent at Camp Pendleton while my husband was in the Marine Corps. It was a difficult time for me because I was this bright-eyed newlywed, who knew no one. I was rolling in with my college education, surrounded by many 18-year old wives who had just graduated high school and found out they were pregnant (not that that’s a bad thing). I spent many days during the first summer walking to the base gym and library because it was a really difficult environment to find friends. Of course towards the end of the summer, I met people (oh the irony).

Thanks for sharing Nicole! You’re the best xoxo

• Nicole April 28, 2013 at 1:47 pm - Reply

Kimberly, you are the sweetest cutie-patootie ever! Thanks for the sweet comment. I agree with your thoughts on Gone With The Wind, I actually have “to read GWTW” on my 2013 goal list. I’ve read the book in stages, even did a project on it in high school, but I’ve not read it cover-to-cover (GASP!!!!). I know my great-grandmother is rolling around in her grave right now. LOL

I’m so glad to have your friendship, it means the world to me. p.s. your ears must’ve been burning last night, ‘cuz I was talking about you and your sweet face!!!!!!

Blessings + Hugs, N

3. Kristen Alexis April 28, 2013 at 4:06 pm - Reply

I enjoy the way Maya writes, so I’m sure I would love Letter To My Daughter. And since I’m a midwestern turned southern, I’ll have to read Gone With The Wind as well. I’ve heard it’s a classic and those are always the best! 🙂 xoxo-Kristen

• Nicole April 28, 2013 at 4:12 pm - Reply

Kristen, you’ve got to read books and/or poetry by Maya, she’s amazing. As for Gone With The Wind, yes, you must read it and you MUST watch the original movie. Ohhh that green velvet dress is the best!!!!!!

4. Lori April 28, 2013 at 6:33 pm - Reply

I am sorry to say I have never read (or even seen, GASP!) Gone with the Wind. I need to read it. And MWF Seeking BFF sounds good!
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    Lori

• Nicole April 28, 2013 at 7:00 pm - Reply

Lori, darling, where do you live and are you home right now?! Seriously, your comment makes me want to come over with a bowl of popcorn and my anniversary DVD edition of Gone With The Wind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Jen @ The Well Read Fish April 28, 2013 at 7:00 pm - Reply

The Maya Angelou book was a great choice! I chose “The Red Tent,” as my ” it’s tough to be an ancient woman” story.

• Nicole April 28, 2013 at 7:05 pm - Reply

Jen, “The Red Tent” is one of my favorites, even though I did not include it on my list. My original list included more than a dozen titles, but I had to make difficult cuts!!!

6. melissa April 28, 2013 at 8:14 pm - Reply

Every time someone mentions the book MWF Seeking BFF I keep remembering I want to read it. I need to just buy it! Great list 🙂

• Nicole April 28, 2013 at 8:15 pm - Reply

Thanks Melissa ….. MWF Seeking BFF is much better than I expected. Rachel’s website and blog are great too, you should check it out. =)

7. Regina April 28, 2013 at 10:38 pm - Reply

I’ve not read any of these, but am interested.

Thank you!

• Nicole April 28, 2013 at 10:40 pm - Reply

Check them out, friend!!!!

8. Regina April 28, 2013 at 10:53 pm - Reply

Wait! Actually, if you’re talking about THE book of Ruth from the Bible, why yes – I’ve read it many times. And the Book of Ruth (depressing, sad – no thank you to that one for a second time around).

• Nicole April 28, 2013 at 10:55 pm - Reply

Yes, THE Book of Ruth from the Bible!!!!!!

9. rainydayinmay April 29, 2013 at 9:22 am - Reply

This is a really great list… I should read that friendship book for inspiration because i am SO there right now… And the fiction book the Book of Ruth IS depressing and sad, but the Bible book is lovely and very much something EVERY GIRL should read 🙂

• Nicole April 29, 2013 at 10:38 am - Reply

I’ve not read the fictional book Book of Ruth, but THE Book of Ruth (in the Bible) is one of my favorite books. Such a beautiful story of friendship and loyalty to family!!!

10. angieeatspeace April 29, 2013 at 3:20 pm - Reply

I definitely agree with the Maya Angelou pick! So many of her books are great reads for women.

11. Serena May 1, 2013 at 2:33 pm - Reply

This is awful… I haven’t read any of these!

12. Rachelle June 2, 2013 at 10:12 am - Reply

I loved MWF seeks BFF! I totally related to the author, having read the book not long after I moved to Houston and felt so lost. I wish I was as brave as the author to take on such an adventure 🙂

• Nicole June 2, 2013 at 10:14 am - Reply

Oh Rachelle, me too! Talk about a full-time job going on all those “dates” and “interviewing” potential friend candidates!!!! I cannot imagine — but she definitely personifies commitment!