Spring Allergies

What better way to welcome the first day of Spring than with a post dedicated to seasonal allergies!

Whatever allergens are in the air — there’s a lot of them right now — they are seriously kicking my butt. For several weeks, my eyes have been red and watery. My face is swollen from sinus congestion and I’ve sneezed at least 29,857,109,385 times. Afraid of illness and infection, I went to the doctor during Spring break {oh what fun} but she assured me my condition was solely allergy-related. She prescribed steroids to help with nasal pressure and encouraged me to begin a daily regimen of over-the-counter allergy medication. Right now, I’m taking Claritin D and Zyrtec. Other allergy sufferers recommend Allegra. What are your thoughts?

Along with constant  misery, I’ve not been sleeping well. I’m definitely tired, but I wake up during the night with a dry, sore throat. The culprit is obvious: I’m sleeping with my mouth open. Even with lots of fluids (water, tea, and diluted fruit juice), my throat is achy. To combat this, I combine the juice of one lime with two spoonfuls of honey and drink/sip the liquid slowly. Some folks prefer hot tea, but I can’t stand heated drinks. {yuck!}

Honey is a miracle food. I buy it locally (our feed store has locally harvested honey for sale) but this particular bottle came from cousins who are beekeepers in Onton, Kentucky. {Hey Linds!} My great-grandmother ate a spoonful of honey every morning and she was very rarely sick.

honey

Oh allergies of springtime, please release your hold on me.

God of Heaven and Earth, please send rain to wash the air of allergens.

Amen.

2013

By |2013-03-20T00:55:01+00:00March 20th, 2013|Blog|0 Comments

1. Kristen March 20, 2013 at 7:22 am - Reply

In suffering over here too! It has never been this bad! Hope you feel better and I’m praying for rain too for a little relief!

• Nicole March 20, 2013 at 7:40 am - Reply

Hey Sweet Girl!!!! I know what you mean, my allergies have not flared up this bad since I was a kid. This is nuts! This is craziness! This is obviously Texas! Save the date (Saturday, April 27) for a DFW Bloggers’ Spring Meet Up. I’m finalizing details but I hope to post the official announcement next week. Hope you can join us, I miss your sweet face! Blessings + Big Hugs. =)

2. shaggysheephome March 20, 2013 at 10:23 am - Reply

I am suffering with allergies for the first time. I do not like taking Meds. Because I always have the worst side affects and I’m always nursing or pregnant. I’m going to try this recipe. I heard local honey cures allergies better than honey harvested in other regions.

• Nicole March 20, 2013 at 11:28 am - Reply

This spring has been the WORST for allergies. Locally harvested honey is the BEST for anybody because the bees do their magic on local pollen. If you can find a local beekeeper, that’s the best option. I only buy locally harvested honey from our nearby feed store, the honey is from Burleson, Cleburne or Alvarado. The honey I keep for special purposes is a gift from family in Kentucky. Because, you know, I’m a Kentucky girl at heart. Those Kentucky bees love me too. HAHA!!!! =)

3. Lindsey Steele March 23, 2013 at 10:31 pm - Reply

I knew I recognized that bottle! Hope you get to feeling better! I know that has to be rough. I took several stings slinging that honey this past year. Dads bees were crazy! Hopefully it will help! Love ya cuz!

• Nicole March 23, 2013 at 10:45 pm - Reply

Now that I have shingles (oh what FUN it is to be me … NOT), I’ve been doing some reading. Turns out, honey can also treat the painful rash. Tomorrow, I’ll cover the spots on my neck and chin with honey, cover with a bandage, and see how it works. The worst spot is along my hairline behind my ear, and I don’t think a bandage will stay put in my hair. Thank you for sharing your family’s honey with me, it is a lifesaver! Big hugs to you all …… blessings for the baby shower tomorrow too!!!!!

4. […] crap, March, thank goodness you’re over and done. Geesh. Besides an attack of seasonal allergies, I also had a not-so-pleasant experience with shingles. I couldn’t figure out if my head and […]