Lovely Ladies | my first “real” photo shoot

Last Sunday, I was approached by a parent in a desperate situation. His daughter, plus five of her friends, scheduled a photo shoot together but the photographer cancelled. They needed somebody with a camera.

I said yes (because that’s what people who can’t say no do) and agreed to take pictures. I called a friend who’s a professional photographer and she gave me suggestions and encouraged me to have fun. Thanks to another lovely lady, I borrowed her Nikon D5000 (like mine) with a super-duper-fantastic 50mm lens.

Dear Santa, please bring me a 50mm lens. I’ll leave your favorite kind of cookies *AND* cupcakes out Christmas Eve! =)

Here are a few of my favorites from the photo shoot at the Fort Worth Stockyards:

jordan1

abby3small

emily3

group2

sarah1

morgan1

jamie2

Considering this was my first “real” photo shoot, I’m pleased. I learned valuable lessons and gained a lot of confidence. For one, I must check my camera’s settings more often. There was an incredible shot of the girls’ boots, but my ISO was too high. The sun was bright and the photo was washed-out and overexposed. Bummer.

The best thing for me to do now is practice, practice, PRACTICE!

J, S, A, J, E, and M … you are each beautiful and wonderful. Thank you for inviting me to take your pictures. Let’s do this again – SOON!

nicolesignature

By |2012-12-19T00:05:00+00:00December 19th, 2012|Photography|0 Comments

1. Jillian @ Hi! It's Jilly December 19, 2012 at 12:12 am - Reply

Awesome! Great job! Glad you had fun with your first “real” shoot! 🙂

• Nicole December 19, 2012 at 6:52 am - Reply

Thank you, Jilly. This is so much fun and I’m impressed how well the photos turned out. Better than my expectations for sure!

2. April @ Red Dirt Mama December 19, 2012 at 8:49 am - Reply

You did an excellent job! I have a 50 mm and I love it, but sometimes I mess up on focus when I have my aperture set to 1.8 or something similar. What do you use to process your photos? I’ve been so discouraged lately while shooting because my model NEVER cooperates. HAHA! We should get together soon and just shoot! 🙂

• Nicole December 19, 2012 at 10:29 am - Reply

Thanks April. The 50mm I borrowed is an f/1.4 and I really want one. It worked perfectly and really produced great products. I currently use Photoshop 5 but I am an amateur amateur just learning! Seriously, I did very minimal post-processing because my knowledge of PS is very limited. I would LOVE to get together and just shoot, that is awesome!

3. lovelylici1986 December 19, 2012 at 12:04 pm - Reply

Those photos look great, Nicole! You’ve got serious skill. Now you’ve got a portfolio started. Congrats!

• Nicole December 19, 2012 at 12:23 pm - Reply

Thanks Lici, I’m really excited about the photos. I had great models for my first shoot. Yay for portfolio building.

4. Rebekah December 19, 2012 at 1:40 pm - Reply

Great job!! 🙂

5. Lisa December 19, 2012 at 9:58 pm - Reply

These are great! They’re awesome! I especially love the last one — her eyes look SO blue. I really do need to come visit so we can takes lots of photos together. =)

• Nicole December 19, 2012 at 10:18 pm - Reply

Thank you, Lisa. I was so incredibly nervous after accepting this “challenge.” But, once I got started it was fun and we were all comfortable. It sure helped that the girls are beautiful. As for the post-processing, I hope they turn out well in print. I’m not too comfortable with Photoshop but I did a minimal amount of touch-up. As for the last photo, I think it’s a great one too. J is a cutie. =)
      And yes, YES, you need to come to Texas and take pictures with me. After this shoot, I really want a 50mm lens. =)

6. The Year in Review | 2012 « Three 31 December 29, 2012 at 12:13 am - Reply

[…] What did you get really, really, really excited about? Meeting DFW Bloggers, Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan concert, going to Kentucky, and taking these photos […]

7. […] took pictures for these Lovely Ladies […]

8. Margaret December 31, 2012 at 8:36 pm - Reply

So amazing. You have so many hidden talents….so not surprised to see more and more and more rising to the surface :).

• Nicole January 1, 2013 at 2:22 am - Reply

Thank you, Margaret!!!!! We’ll have to see what 2013 brings to the surface, I’m hoping for more photography talent. =)