29 Things I’ve Learned in 29 Years

Today is my 29th birthday.

Happy Birthday to all the babies born on December 17.

29 things I’ve learned in 29 years:

1. No matter how old I get, I’ll always be Daddy’s girl and want my Mom around when I’m sick. There’s just something about a Mom’s healing touch.

2. Reading is food for the brain. An added bonus: if you send a note to an author about something they’ve written, they might reply! #MargaretFeinberg

3. Personal, handwritten notes make a big difference. The price of a stamp is totally worth the smile on a person’s face.

4. Pursue things and people that bring joy to your life.

5. Stay in touch with family and friends, even if they’re hundreds of miles away.

6. Mom was right about everything. EVERYTHING!

7.  I function exceptionally well *WITHOUT* a Smartphone.

8. Finding love online is not for everybody, but it worked for Husband and me.

9. I don’t want to grow up.

10. Relationships manner. Make time for people who mean the world to you.

11. You have two ears and a mouth for a reason: LISTEN.

12. Continue to grow as an individual and contribute to others in meaningful ways.

13. Do things you enjoy … alone. Go see a movie or eat at your favorite restaurant.

14. It’s okay to let go of a dream.

15. Laughter and sweet tea can cure almost anything.

16. Experience life outside your comfort zone. Look at the world from a different perspective.

17. Travel as often as possible.

18. Be proud of who you are and where you come from.

19. There is truth in country music.

20. I was meant to be a United Methodist.

21. I need to be validated and loved. I need to hear it. See it. Feel it.

22. There’s no shame in saying “I don’t know.” Honesty and humility are impressive qualities.

23. Use protection. Birth control and sunscreen are excellent examples.

24. Sometimes, getting knocked on your butt is a good thing.

25. There is nothing quite as good as the companionship of a dog.

26. Never, ever, EVER skimp on toilet paper. I am loyal to Charmin Ultra-Soft.

27. Get educated and earn a degree. Go to a place that challenges you in every way. Don’t show up to class wearing pajamas either.

28. A beautiful wedding does NOT cost a lot of money.

29. Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can. ~John Wesley

What would you add to this list?

By |2012-12-17T00:01:44+00:00December 17th, 2012|About Me, Blog, Popular|0 Comments

1. Southern Angel December 17, 2012 at 5:10 am - Reply

Yeah that first one, never blink because they can be gone without warning. Never overlook the small things. Never hide from a camera, especially if the person is important to you, one day all you will have are those pictures.

• Nicole December 17, 2012 at 6:09 am - Reply

Oh my, your words are so true! Thanks for sharing them on my special day. Blessings! =)

2. Celeste Zachry December 17, 2012 at 5:58 am - Reply

I think you’ve learned A LOT in a short amount of time!! Happy birthday, Love!

• Nicole December 17, 2012 at 6:09 am - Reply

I have learned a lot, including the My-Ding-A-Ling Song!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. ldowings@yahoo.com December 17, 2012 at 7:14 am - Reply

Happy birthday Nicole.  You are a blessing to all of us.  You make me smile.  Have a wonderful day.  Love you.Sent from my Samsung smartphone on AT&T

• Nicole December 17, 2012 at 7:21 am - Reply

Thank you, Lucy! You’re a blessing too, so glad you are part of my life. =)

4. April @ Red Dirt Mama December 17, 2012 at 7:33 am - Reply

I love this! Happy birthday! Today is my brother in law’s 27’th birthday! I love all of these, and they can’t be more true. I hope today is wonderful and just what you need. Eat lots of yummy stuff! 🙂

• Nicole December 17, 2012 at 8:21 am - Reply

HA! Thank you so much April, big hugs to you friend.

5. Julie December 17, 2012 at 7:38 am - Reply

Happy Birthday, Sweet Friend! There is a lot of wisdom in this post. So glad that I got to celevrate with you Saturday!

• Nicole December 17, 2012 at 8:21 am - Reply

I’m so glad I got to celebrate my birthday dinner with YOU last Saturday, that was so much fun and we have to get together as often as possible. Big hugs!

6. Lisa D. December 17, 2012 at 8:20 am - Reply

Happy birthday!! =) love your 29 things, and I hope you have a fabulous day!

• Nicole December 17, 2012 at 8:23 am - Reply

Thank you, dear sweet friend. You were in my thoughts yesterday as I did my first big-girl photo shoot for a group of teenage girls. Their photographer cancelled at the last minute and they asked if I would do it for them. I was so nervous but I think the pics turned out really well. I’ve shared some on Facebook under an album called “Lovely Ladies.” HUGS!

7. Stephanie December 17, 2012 at 10:22 am - Reply

Happy Birthday Nicole!! I love your list, I could not agree more. Especially about Moms being right about everything 😉 I know mine is.

• Nicole December 17, 2012 at 10:30 am - Reply

Thank you! Mom’s are awesome. And very smart. LOL

8. lovelylici1986 December 17, 2012 at 11:44 am - Reply

Great list, Nicole! I need to save some of these on index cards and post them all over the place. My house… Lamp poles… The world. 🙂
    I would add what my mother always said that got on my nerves. “Never love anyone better than you love yourself.” I now believe that and live by it in a different way than I saw it before. First, I thought it was just mean. Now I see that self love is a requirement. A prerequisite to sharing love.

• Nicole December 17, 2012 at 1:22 pm - Reply

Thanks girl!!! Your mom has very wise words. =)

9. lovelylici1986 December 17, 2012 at 11:45 am - Reply

OH! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Wishing you lots of sweet tea and tasty spirits!

• Nicole December 17, 2012 at 1:23 pm - Reply

THANK YOU!!! Mmm sweet tea and tasty spirits, I had me BOTH of those this weekend to celebrate #29 with friend. LOL

10. margaretfeinberg December 17, 2012 at 1:42 pm - Reply

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I hope your hubby treats you nice and special on this wonderful day!

• Nicole December 17, 2012 at 2:06 pm - Reply

Right now, my plans this evening include preparing chicken fajitas for dinner and finalizing the church’s newsletter while we watching Monday Night Football. We’re. So. Not. Exciting!!!!!!! hahahaha

11. Holli December 17, 2012 at 3:46 pm - Reply

happy birthday my sweet wise young friend! I just lov e you to pieces and blessed you’re in my world. Hope your birthday is filled with tons of sweet tea and lots of love.

• Nicole December 17, 2012 at 4:06 pm - Reply

Sweet tea is a-brewin’ and I’m grilling chicken for fajitas tonight. I love you, friend. BIG HUGS!

12. totallybrenda December 17, 2012 at 3:54 pm - Reply

Happy Birthday. And I love your post because it’s beautiful and true

13. A Dog With Fleas December 17, 2012 at 7:38 pm - Reply

Happy Birthday and so jealous that at your young age you have so much wisdom! 🙂 Just came across your blog and so glad I did. I thorougly enjoy it.

• Nicole December 17, 2012 at 8:46 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for your kind words *AND* visiting my blog, I really appreciate them both!