Mom’s Cranberry Relish | Happy Thanksgiving 2012

It’s almost Thanksgiving, which means some dinner tables, including ours, will have the infamous canned jelly that wiggles and jiggles. For the record, I don’t eat that stuff! Instead, I prefer cranberries at Thanksgiving in the form of my Mom’s relish. Whether you prefer it chunky or smooth, sweet or tart, this stuff is delicious and looks so much better than the wiggly-jiggly stuff.

INGREDIENTS
2 bags (about 6 cups) whole cranberries, rinsed
2 Gala apples, rinsed, cored, and quartered
2 oranges, rinsed and quartered
1 cup of sugar (more or less to taste)

Working in small batches, combine all ingredients in a food processor. Process for 15-20 seconds, stop to wipe the sides of the bowl, and process another 5-10 seconds. Transfer mixture to a large storage container with tight-fitting lid.

I do not peel the oranges or apples, but they are cored and quartered. I also remove the white rind from the oranges.

I work in batches because my food processor is not big enough to accommodate all of the ingredients at once. And, I prefer small chunks of fruit and this allows me to determine the consistency. If you prefer a smooth relish, process longer.

When you’re done, refrigerate (preferably overnight) and let the flavors marry. Before serving, taste for sweetness. While this is meant to be tart, sometimes the berries are really sour and you’ll need to add more sugar.

What are your plans for Thanksgiving? What are your favorite dishes?

Husband and I are going to his parent’s in East Texas. We’ll do what most families do: eat too much and fall asleep watching the Dallas Cowboys football game.

I hope you enjoy this Thanksgiving and consider all the blessings in your life. I know I have much to be thankful for this year. If you are a brave soul who ventures out on Black Friday to shop, good luck! I’ll be back for a blog post on Small Business Saturday, November 24.

Happy Thanksgiving!

By |2012-11-21T00:08:32+00:00November 21st, 2012|Blog, Recipe|0 Comments

1. Julie November 21, 2012 at 6:50 am - Reply

I am not a big cranberry fan….especially of the jiggly stuff, but this sounds pretty yummy. Safe travels and have a wonderful Thanksgiving, sweet lady!

• Nicole November 21, 2012 at 8:56 am - Reply

Julie, I understand your lack of hospitality towards the canned jiggly stuff. Growing up, I didn’t like cranberries at all but when I was finally ready to have tastebuds like an adult, I knew the cranberry relish I wanted. Don’t tell Mom, but I usually add at least a half-cup, sometimes a full cup MORE of sugar. I’m a sweet kind of girl, what can I say?! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!!!!

Hugs,
      N

2. greengoround November 21, 2012 at 8:31 am - Reply

Yummm–looks similar to my mama’s cranberry relish. So good!
    This is the first year we will be on our own for Turkey Day. Kind of sad about it, but we are cooking a big fried chicken dinner and I’m making a homemade pumpkin pie. That brightens it a bit. 🙂
    I love that you’re participating in Small Business Saturday! I’ve been trying to shop all local this Christmas. Can’t wait to read your post about your local small business shopping. Xoxoxo

• Nicole November 21, 2012 at 8:59 am - Reply

Awww, I wish we were a gazillion Texas miles apart. Seriously, I think miles in Texas are longer than miles anywhere else. Husband’s parents are doing the usual Thanksgiving fare tomorrow, but I’m also thinking about doing our own little gathering sometime this weekend. Mainly because I want to try a new recipe: bacon-wrapped turkey breast. Perhaps Husband and I will start a new tradition. Happy Thanksgiving, Lovely Lady, and I’m sending big hugs your way!

3. Danielle November 21, 2012 at 9:05 am - Reply

We talked about Thanksgiving at Book Club last night and one of my friend named my family’s “style” the ‘Southern Baptist Sunday Lunch Potluck’ Style. Sounds about right. We’ll be spread out all over the place and the day will likely end with napping 🙂

• Nicole November 21, 2012 at 9:11 am - Reply

Ohhhh wow! What exactly does your family do? You’re right about the naps, we always include a snooze in our Thanksgiving plans!!!!

4. Celeste Zachry November 21, 2012 at 10:36 am - Reply

I don’t eat that canned crap either. Gross-ola. However, I neither go into as much effort as Miss Charlotte. I’m in the middle.

We’re going to Mom and Dad’s for an evening meal after Bran gets off work. It seems that the majority of Walmart stores are in distress right now – baking supplies, mostly. Hmmm. Maybe I’m not baking enough, but I’m fine. Lol.

Happy Thanksgiving. Know I’m thankful for you!

• Nicole November 21, 2012 at 10:41 am - Reply

Celeste, if you have a food processor, this recipe is easy-peasy. I send my love and Thanksgiving well wishes to you and the family, love you all. HUGS!

5. […] favorite side dishes (green bean casserole and creamy mashed potatoes) and my Mom’s cranberry relish. The star of our mini-feast was not a whole turkey, but a bone-in turkey breast. To make it extra […]

6. Joy @ Yesterfood October 4, 2013 at 7:58 am - Reply

Nicole, I loooove homemade cranberry relish, and this one looks delicious! I’ve never tried it with apple, but I bet it’s great. My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving, and my favorite Thanksgivings foods *may* be pies and homemade cranberry relish. 🙂

Thanks for sharing your mom’s recipe!

Love, Joy
    Yesterfood

• Nicole October 4, 2013 at 8:50 am - Reply

You are so welcome, Joy. I didn’t care much for cranberry relish as a kid, but I love it now. The bits of orange and apple really make it taste great … not to mention how EASY it is to prepare! I hope you enjoy it. Let me know when you make it. YUM!!!!

7. […] favorite savory dish at the Thanksgiving family feast is stuffing and my mom’s cranberry relish for a sweet […]

8. Finish This #47 | Three 31 November 26, 2014 at 4:36 am - Reply

[…] relish. In years past, I’ve made sausage and cornbread dressing, my Mom’s signature cranberry relish. Since I am a big fan of carbs, dressing (or is it stuffing?) takes up a significant portion of my […]