boundaries

I am 100-percent, unequivocally, wholly,
and shamefully responsible for the
unsustainable pace I’ve set forth in my life.

Last Tuesday, I had a revelation. It was painful and affirming just the same. Until that miserable conversation, I had been (for lack of better terms) wearing blinders. The relationship that I should have been holding in the highest regard, the one I vowed to hold higher than any other, was crumbling and I hadn’t been present long enough to realize it.

To publicly admit this, I am embarrassed, ashamed, and disappointed.

I have had no boundaries. I have not been honest. I have taken loved ones for granted.

I need to restore balance.

I am asking forgiveness for being selfish and distracted. I am asking for patience as I repair what is damaged.

This weekend will be different.

The calendar is empty and it’s staying that way. Husband and I are going on a date: probably lunch and a movie. There is no schedule. There are no demands. We are simply going to be together. I suspect I’ll be alongside my Grease Monkey as he puts the finishing touches to the flatbed trailer he’s restoring. There’s been talk that he’s going to teach me to weld too. Sunday, I will go to church and make last-minute preparations with the Haiti mission team. Afterwards, I will return home and rest. I will really observe the Sabbath. I will make phone calls that have been put off for weeks, some even months. With the predicted cooler temperatures, we might open windows and nap under a down comforter!

In regards to this blog, it will be much quieter. I am unplugging for a while.

The mission trip (October 10 – October 19) is taking me away from home *AND* modern conveniences, but I think it’s Divine Providence affirming my decision to step back and reevaluate my priorities and time commitments. Not only will my team and I *NOT* have running water, electricity, or Internet services, we will be digging our own latrines, sleeping on cots beneath a protective mosquito net, and bathing out of a bucket. This trip will require demands I’ve never had to endure.

We anticipate living in the coastal community of Leveque, also home to Haiti’s largest deaf community. In sign language, I know how to “say” my name, water, church and Jesus. As for the specifics of the work site, I am under the impression that the community’s school has been rebuilt but the church (heavily damaged in the 2010 earthquake) is still under reconstruction. I won’t know until I get there and I’m okay with that.

While I am away to Haiti, I’ve asked a few friends to provide guest blog posts. I think you will thoroughly enjoy meeting these ladies and reading what they have to say.

When I return, my intentional restoration (personally, privately, and communal) begins. As my great-grandparents used to say, I’ve got a long row to hoe. It’s not going to be easy or comfortable. But I got myself into this mess, and I must get myself out.

Let the good times roll.

By |2012-10-05T07:14:26+00:00October 5th, 2012|Blog, Uncategorized|15 Comments

15 Comments

1. Whitney Spainhoward October 5, 2012 at 7:49 am - Reply

You’re in my prayers. You & God will get this all taken care of. Love you!

• Nicole October 5, 2012 at 8:08 am - Reply

Thank you, Whitney. Love you bunches, sending big hugs your way. =)

2. hollihd October 5, 2012 at 7:56 am - Reply

You will be missed sweet girl but i’m praying for you and your team in Haiti. You are such a blessing and i know great things are going to happen there. You’re amazing and i’m sending you a huge hug right now.

• Nicole October 5, 2012 at 8:10 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Holli. Returning your big hug. =) p.s. I hope I can make the Christmastime ornament exchange and blogger meet-up. That seems forever away!!!!

3. Julie October 5, 2012 at 8:10 am - Reply

I will miss reading your sass everyday, but completely understand your need to step back and commend you for taking the reins and doing so if that is what is best for you and your family. My prayers are with you on your mission trip and whatever challenges you are facing on your return.

• Nicole October 5, 2012 at 8:14 am - Reply

Awww, Julie, your so sweet. Consider this a brief pause to “refill” my sass-tank!!!!! I’m so fortunate to have such a wonderful group of supportive friends. Thank you!

4. Kathryn McCullough October 5, 2012 at 10:29 am - Reply

Sounds like you are sorting things out. However, I know how Haiti can be–unbalancing, at best. Hang in there. ANd blessings to you!
    Hugs,
    Kathy

• Nicole October 5, 2012 at 10:37 am - Reply

Thank you, Kathryn, I appreciate the support and unceasing prayers. =)

5. Celeste Zachry October 5, 2012 at 11:28 am - Reply

You go, girl. Will keep you where you need to be most. Smooches.

• Nicole October 5, 2012 at 11:31 am - Reply

Smooches and hugs back to you, Mama Zee. =)

6. April @ Red Dirt Mama October 8, 2012 at 9:05 am - Reply

I completely understand your need and desire to step back – but I will miss you! I am too often a lurker on your blog, but I love reading your heart! Have a great time on your trip!

• Nicole October 8, 2012 at 9:13 am - Reply

ohhh April, you are so sweet ….. don’t stop “lurking” because I will miss you. I’m not going anywhere (well, except Haiti for two weeks — ha!!!) just taking a step back to focus on the important people in my life. It’s all good. (pssst you should check your email, I sent you a little something-something)

BIG, HUGE, GIANT hug!!!!! =)
      Nicole

7. A Real Update « LDA Press October 26, 2012 at 10:31 pm - Reply

[…] about their days, their weeks, their last few months. It was refreshing. (Example #1, example #2, example #3, example […]

8. […] experienced an A-ha! moment while reading Wonderstruck and I shared this personal struggle here. At the time, I was buried in denial and stress while struggling with unhealthy boundaries. […]

9. The Year in Review | 2012 « Three 31 December 29, 2012 at 12:13 am - Reply

[…] What was your biggest failure? I hit a brick wall in my personal life, but learned a lesson on boundaries. […]