like any mature adult

In my personal life, there are times when I am completely immature and inappropriate and somebody will often say, “Nicole Marie! What would your Mother say?” Well, the truth is, she’d laugh hysterically, give me “The Look,” and then she’d start laughing again. It’s a vicious cycle and quite entertaining.

In my professional life, however, I try to be just that: Professional. As a teacher, I realize the importance of being a positive role model for my students who have reached their “tween” years and life is so confusing. I try to be a *ROCK* in their unstable environment. I mean, middle school dances are weird, uncomfortable, deafening loud, and awkward. If I had to attend those on a regular basis I would need more therapy than Dr. Flynn could provide Christian Gray.

Recently, a female student came running to me in tears because a girl she “thought” was a friend told another girl who told another girl that she liked a boy and she really does but she didn’t want him to know so now her life is completely ruined and she can’t stand being in the same cafeteria as The Boy in the Blue Shirt. (She doesn’t know the boy’s name, so for the sake of our brief, but intense conversation, we named him Boy in Blue Shirt because he was wearing a blue shirt that day. I can’t make this stuff up, people.) A few hours later, I saw Tween Girl in the hallway and she had made amends with the friend she previously thought had betrayed her and had completely forgotten about Mr. Blue Shirt. Who knows, next week it’ll be Mr. Red Shirt. I can’t keep up with their crushing interests.

What I *CAN* do is maintain my calm, cool, collected demeanor and continue being the mature adult in all situations. Just like the time a student came running, jumping, and screaming in excitement saying he had something to tell me.

Excited Student: “Hey Miss H, do you like gross stuff?”

Me: “Not so much, but I have a feeling you’re going to tell me anyway.”

{ the sarcasm is completely lost and student continues right along }

Excited Student: “Well, yeah! You have to check out this YouTube video I found showing the biggest booger being removed from a guy’s nose. It’s really gross but really cool. Promise me you’ll watch it? It’ll gross you out real good, Miss H. Promise me! Please? Pretty please?”

So I did what any responsible, mature, professional would do in this situation …….

I went home and watched the nastiest, grossest, most disgusting video of a giant booger (looks more like a super-sized walnut covered in snot) being removed from a guy’s nose.

You’re welcome.

By | 2012-09-27T09:50:32+00:00 September 27th, 2012|Blog, Uncategorized|10 Comments

10 Comments

1. hollihd September 27, 2012 at 10:15 am - Reply

Too funny!You’re a good sport to indulge in the kid’s requests. Not so sure about sharing this with us though. LOL. GROSS!!!

• Nicole September 27, 2012 at 10:20 am - Reply

As I said the first (and ONLY) time I watched the video, “EWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” and then laughed like a hysterical hyena. =)

2. Julie September 27, 2012 at 10:45 am - Reply

What the What????? How is that even possible? Not to mention there is no way that guy could have been breathing even close to normal. I admit, I am pretty disgusted but I know that when I show my almost 12 year old, he is going to think that I am the coolest mom around – and together we will both also be laughing like hysterical hyenas – PRICELESS!!!!

• Nicole September 27, 2012 at 11:11 am - Reply

Yay for grossed-out Mamas being a “cool mom” to their 12-year-old. I’m so glad I could provide you with some mid-morning entertainment, not to mention cool points with the son. =)

Hugs,
      Nicole

3. Jessica Bevil (@bubbiesmom) September 27, 2012 at 12:45 pm - Reply

You’re Awesome! lol

• Nicole September 27, 2012 at 12:56 pm - Reply

awwww, making me blush, thanks Jessica!!!!! =)

4. Celeste Zachry September 27, 2012 at 7:02 pm - Reply

OMG. not healthy for a woman with pneumonia! Can you explain to me why ON EARTH I watched that even after your description of the video?? Gag!

After I watched, Britt wanted to know what I was watching, then said, “This isn’t real. This isn’t real. Where did you get this?”. When I told her it was from you, she handed me my phone and said, “Oh. That figures.” I about laughed up a LUNG!

• Nicole September 27, 2012 at 7:22 pm - Reply

Hey! I warned you…hahahaha. I’m glad my shenanigans are not surprising to Britton, that’s my girl. =) One thing’s for sure, that booger is NOT one you can pick and flick!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Lindsey Steele September 27, 2012 at 7:39 pm - Reply

Gee thanks Nicole! I had just eaten my dinner! Yummy! Seconds please 🙂

• Nicole September 27, 2012 at 8:10 pm - Reply

Hey, my 30-second video was NOTHING compared to the FOUR AND A HALF MINUTE video your husband sent me …… that was GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m feeling light-headed, if I pass out it’s totally his fault. Hope you get my card soon, it’s so belated I should have waited to send it in 2013. Geesh. Love ya!