Get Your Dance On

Hi, my name is Nicole and I am a Grinding Monitor.

Since school began, and I accepted this long-term sub position, I knew about this. It was bestowed on me by the very hilarious department leader. Earlier this evening, immediately after school to be in exact, I helped chaperone the school’s first dance of the year. It was a sight to behold and I am now suffering from sore feet and hearing loss.

*** none of the pictures featured in this post were taken at the school dance …. over and out ***

I know you’re wondering …. What is a GRINDING MONITOR?

Grinding Monitors make sure no babies are born nine months from September 14, 2012.  In other words, help our darling angels (a.k.a. students) understand that they must leave room for Jesus.  If it gets too bad, there will be administrators available. You may also party like a rock star alongside the small people.

Despite my hearing loss from the really LOUD music, I’m confident no babies will be born nine months from today, even though I did separate a few bodies that were too close for my comfort, and the comfort of Jesus. I told them I wanted to see daylight between their bodies. They rolled their eyes and started grinding and shaking their bodies in really weird ways. Our lil’ precious angel babies were dancin’ fools.

Dance like no one is watching …… except somebody’s always watching.

I saw some moves at this dance that I have never seen before, don’t care to see again, and I’m still curious as to how that student made their body move that way. I also watched in complete surprise as a student began break dancing like a professional. This kid is super-quiet and shy, blushes when I say “good morning” or “hello,” and doesn’t make a peep in class. But on the dance floor, wow. Different person!

All I can say is I survive a middle school dance and it was the longest two hours of my life. I have a blister on my foot from pacing around the cafeteria 36,765,294 times and my ears are still ringing. I’ve determined that the rest of the evening will be spent in complete silence.

Please, quieten down.

What?

You’re too loud.

Huh? What did you say?

Shhhhhh.

By |2012-09-14T20:56:56+00:00September 14th, 2012|Blog, Uncategorized|12 Comments

12 Comments

1. Jill September 14, 2012 at 9:05 pm - Reply

Hahaha. This post made me smile. Ahh. Middle school dances. I don’t miss them.

• Nicole September 14, 2012 at 9:09 pm - Reply

I remember dancing to The Macarena, I don’t know how to “grind” like kids do today. I was so out of my league tonight. And the volume level was INSANE. Holy Moses, my ears are still ringing. =)

2. Celeste Zachry September 14, 2012 at 9:46 pm - Reply

Oh. My. Golly. Gosh. You deserve a medal for this. I’m quite certain you didn’t even get PAID for this tween nonsense. I’m good for prom and that’s it! At least then they are dressed fairly well and we use the breath-a-lizer on their little butts!

Nope. I’m too pooped on this Friday night to be the Grinding Marshall. Kudos to you!

• Nicole September 15, 2012 at 8:55 am - Reply

Of course it was UNPAID, they could NOT afford me if money was involved!!!!!! Seriously though, it wasn’t that bad except for the noise. About 1.3 seconds after the music started, I wish I had my ear plugs from the gun range. I would have paid top dollar for a set last night.

And Miss Zee, I’ve never heard of one using a breath-a-lizer on someone’s butt ….. interesting concept!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

3. Stephanie @ The Vintage Modern Wife September 15, 2012 at 9:24 am - Reply

This was the funniest post I’ve read in a while. Found the post from Texas Bloggers and I’m glad I came over. Too funny! I work at a middle school and I can only imagine how my kids would behave if we had a dance. I definitely don’t remember “grinding” in middle school either. Electric slide, Macarena and all that stuff was what we listened to. I feel so old and I’m only 26 lol!

• Nicole September 15, 2012 at 10:00 am - Reply

Stephanie, I completely AGREE!!!!!!! In fact, some of the other teachers and I were talking last night about two of the dances you mentioned: The Electric Slide and the Macarena. I was like, “these kids don’t even know the good stuff!!!!!!” HAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for visiting my blog and your sweet comment, I hope you’ll return. =)

Blessings,
      Nicole

4. kristen mckee September 15, 2012 at 1:16 pm - Reply

Oh my goodness! I don’t miss those middle school dances at all! I don’t rememeber too much of the grindin thing until high school! Guess it’s just starting earlier and earlier! So glad the one shy student stepped out and danced 🙂 Love the pictures you added!!! LOL!!

• Nicole September 15, 2012 at 2:56 pm - Reply

Kristen, I don’t miss middle school or high school dances either!!!!!!!! And the grinding, oh no, none of that business. LOL Hope you are well and enjoying the weekend. I’m up to my eyeballs in cookies and cupcakes and icing for a gathering at church tomorrow evening.

5. sehines September 17, 2012 at 2:19 am - Reply

I have a teenager….I didn’t know she knew how to grind or where she learned to grind…so I’m so very thankful for chaperones like you reminding her to leave a little room for daylight and Jesus.

• Nicole September 17, 2012 at 7:12 am - Reply

HA! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Friday night’s dance was, to say the least, an educating, enlightening, and frightening experience!!!!!!!!! Have a great week. =)

6. […] you read my post last Friday about the middle school dance, you have a pretty good idea of the fun I’m having with this long-term sub assignment. In […]

7. like any mature adult « Three 31 September 27, 2012 at 9:50 am - Reply

[…] years and life is so confusing. I try to be a *ROCK* in their unstable environment. I mean, middle school dances are weird, uncomfortable, deafening loud, and awkward. If I had to attend those on a regular basis […]