don’t let my innocence fool you

When I got up this morning, I had no intentions of earning bragging rights at the gun range. I did, however, have an omelet for breakfast. It must have had some special seasoning. Omelet or not, I surprised myself and four other witnesses.

For those who might not understand gun talk (it’s a first cousin to Pig Latin), here’s the 4-1-1: The rifle I am holding below is a Savage 110 BA (.338 Lapua Magnum). It currently holds the distinction for the longest sniper kill, which was also a double consecutive kill.

In November 2009, a British Army sniper set the longest recorded sniper kill when he successfully struck two Taliban machine gunners at a range of 2,707 yards with a .338 Lapua Magnum.

More than a dozen countries’ armed forces use this rifle, including the United States Special Operations Command and the British Royal Marines.

Obviously, I was not in the Afghan desert this morning and the paper target I was aiming at was MUCH closer (300 yards compared to the sniper’s impressive 2,707 yards). But I hit the target and I proudly crowned myself a BAD ASS. Not only did I hit the target, but I stayed *INSIDE* the circle. In fact, my three shots had less than an inch spread, 0.839 to be exact!

One of the guys at the range, I’ll call him Mister A, is home visiting his family on leave from the Infantry Division of the United States Army. He is stationed in Georgia and leaves for Afghanistan next month. Bless his heart, bless his family, and thanks to *ALL* the service men and women all over the world for the work they do and the sacrifices they make each and every day. It was an honor to shoot alongside him.

While the dogs nap, I think I’ll kick back and catch up on The Real Housewives. I know I’ll need my energy for tonight’s dinner festivities celebrating my Dad’s birthday.

The Corn Picker, Tomato Juicer, & Rifle Shooter

By | 2012-07-27T13:52:12+00:00 July 27th, 2012|Blog, Uncategorized|8 Comments

1. Margaret July 27, 2012 at 2:11 pm - Reply

Congrats!!! I love how you follow this story with “kisses sweeter than ice tea.” Fun contrast!

• Nicole July 27, 2012 at 2:14 pm - Reply

LOL thanks Margaret ……. I have to keep my “sweet and innocent” reputation!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you are well. Looking forward to seeing you soon. =)

2. lovelylici1986 July 27, 2012 at 2:22 pm - Reply

Look at yooou!
    Man, I’ve always wanting to go to a shooting range (or whatever they’re called). I’m just itching to fire a weapon.

• Nicole July 27, 2012 at 2:36 pm - Reply

Find a gun store that has a range and go shoot. Enroll in an educational course if you’ve never shot before. It’s a big confidence boost, and a ton of fun.

• lovelylici1986 July 29, 2012 at 9:31 am - Reply

We don’t have any here, I don’t think. It’s not really a celebrated thing. *sighs* When I move to a 1st world country, I totally will!

3. wilma July 27, 2012 at 6:47 pm - Reply

way to go, Nicole.. i know that rush you get when you feel the power shoot from one of those bad boys.. even sweeter when it hits the targets..

• Nicole July 27, 2012 at 11:58 pm - Reply

Thanks, Wilma! The .338 is definitely a sweet gun, with lots of RUSH behind it. I surprised myself today, did NOT expect to do as well as I did. But I’m proud!!!!

4. […] also went to Kentucky. I helped in the garden, made tomato juice, shot a high-powered sniper rifle exceptionally well, spent quality time with several important people, attended a family reunion, […]