10 Reasons I Love My Dad

To all y’all fathers out there, HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!!!!!

Because I did *this* for Mom a few months ago … because I’m my father’s favorite { and only } … and, because I did not send him a father’s day card, I offer the following to him and hope the rest of you enjoy it.

I apologize in advance for the quality of the photographs.

Here are 10 reasons why I love my Dad:

10. He’s the hardest working man I know.

My dad never stops. Ever. He works 12-hour-plus shifts, goes home and works on the farm, in the garden, at the neighbors’ gardens, reloads rifle shells, makes homemade wines, or runs errands …. the list goes on. And on. And on.

9. He has a tender heart for puppies and kittens and making pets into family members.

I’ve never seen a puppy or kitten that wasn’t cute. Of course, I fall instantly in love. { who can resist puppy breath?! }

Growing up, I was always around cats and dogs. The majority of them were strays that showed up, were dropped off, or the local dog warden would call with this message: “Hey Greg, it’s ____. Look, buddy, somebody just brought in an Irish Setter who’s very afraid of gun noise. There’s no room at the shelter, I’ll have to put this dog down if you don’t take him”

Let me introduce you to Sir Benjamin of Shady Lane (he’s the liver-colored setter in the top right photo). His life was saved that day and I swear this dog realized his fate. He lives with complete and utter joy, and gratitude towards my Dad.The two cats are the same, they were both rescued and “saved” by my Dad. The boxer is, well, adopted from the neighbors (HA!) and the blue heeler is queen of the castle. She runs the roost.

{ not joking about that either }

8. He taught me how to sharpen a knife. Properly.

Whether or not you like my cookin’, it’s prepared using a razor-sharp knife. Don’t mess with my knives if you’re inexperienced. You will go home with a nub and I’m not responsible for your dumba$$ness.

7. He seasons { almost } everything with salt, black pepper, and red cayenne pepper. And adds jalapenos to {almost } everything too. Including jam.

{ not joking about this one }

6. He taught me how to shoot { really big / loud } guns.

My Dad is an excellent marksman. He knows and understands all the details and descriptions and inner-workings of firearms … and is an excellent shot. Back in my glory days playing competitive golf, I could score lower and hit the ball farther, but I CANNOT out-shoot my Ol’Man at the gun range. Kudos for Husband sticking around when he saw Dad’s gun collection though!

{ did anybody else’s father meet the boyfriend with a handshake and invite to the range?! }

5. He has { somewhat } great style.

I won’t even begin to *try* and explain the bikini top, but at least Dad wears a hat for The Kentucky Derby. He obviously traded *UP* from his usual straw variety.

{ honestly, there are no words for the bikini top … but makes for great laughs }

4. He graciously stocks my pantry in Texas with garden goodies from Kentucky.

Dad got an early start on the garden last spring and the garden is well underway. In fact, my phone rings about every other day and it’s Mom or Dad giving me an update on their progress picking, hulling, canning, and lots of other garden-related verbs. I’m pretty sure this will be the first year Dad’s had sweet corn before July 1. He’s so proud … as he should be! Lord willing, I’ll be going *HOME* as soon as possible to do my share of the work in the garden and corn patch. I actually prefer working in corn than I do green beans. But Husband loves his green beans and we all love Husband.

{ Husband needs to get his butt in that green bean patch and truly appreciate this work! }

3. He surrounds himself with good people.

He has chosen his family very well.

2. He loves my husband.

Ten years ago, I approached my parents with a *HUGE* announcement: I met a guy online and I think he’s the one.

Fast forward ten years (and 5 years of marriage) and I’m so grateful that they trusted my judgement and supported my decision to follow my heart. He fits right in.

1. He loves my mom.

I said the same thing about my mom:

No matter my age, where I live, or how much I love my Husband, my Dad will always be my number one man. After 30 years of marriage, Mom and Dad are doing things right. They work hard, they play hard, and I know (at times) they drive each other crazy.

But that’s what keeps things interesting, right?

Love you, Dad! I hope you have a wonderful father’s day.

Love you too, Mom!

By | 2012-06-15T06:45:03+00:00 June 15th, 2012|Blog, Popular, Uncategorized|22 Comments

1. Cecelia Futch June 15, 2012 at 9:13 am - Reply

Great post!

• Nicole June 15, 2012 at 9:34 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Cecelia! I’m pretty partial to the Ol’Man and I’ll *ALWAYS* be a daddy’s girl!!!! Have a wonderful day (and weekend).

2. Lucy Dowings June 15, 2012 at 9:34 am - Reply

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful man. I know they are proud of you.

• Nicole June 15, 2012 at 9:35 am - Reply

Thanks, Lucy, you’re so sweet! He’s a pretty wonderful guy, if I don’t say so myself. tee hee hee

3. ErikaAnn June 15, 2012 at 9:46 am - Reply

Love it! My dad puts salt and pepper on everything, too. Including cantelope and watermelon!

And I’m so jealous of that pantry… Mmmm!

Have a great weekend 🙂

• Nicole June 15, 2012 at 9:51 am - Reply

oh yes, cantelope can {NOT} be eaten without salt and pepper ….. of course, I learned that from my Dad and it has stuck with me for life! If you’re in Kentucky or Texas, you gotta stop by for some garden goodies from the pantry. In fact, I’m going to KY for a visit and “pay my dues” in sweat next month, then driving back in August so I can bring everything back to Texas. It’s a process we’ve done now for six years, ain’t gonna stop it now!

Blessings to you, Erika

4. Celeste Zachry June 15, 2012 at 11:46 am - Reply

As much as I love Miss Charlotte, I’m sure I’d love your daddy too! Happy father’s day, Mr. Edwards!!

• Nicole June 15, 2012 at 11:50 am - Reply

Be careful, Celeste. The last time somebody called Dad “Mr. Edwards” that person was handed a shot glass and bottle of booze. Dad said DRINK! hahahahaha He’s a grand daddy, yes he is. You should go with me to Kentucky and shoot big guns and play in the KY dirt and raise all kinds of hell with me. Hee Haw!!!!

5. wilma June 15, 2012 at 12:40 pm - Reply

What a beautiful post, Nicole. I’m sure it will bring a couple tears, (i know he won’t admit it) to his eyes. He is so proud of you and loves you with his whole heart. I know for a fact what you are talking about, when you say he never stops. When we stayed with them last summer, neither your dad or mom stopped much to take a break. They made me tired just watching. lol… But we have never felt more comfy or welcomed as we did with them. Can’t wait to see them in August..

• Nicole June 15, 2012 at 2:31 pm - Reply

Thank you, Wilma. I wish I could commit to attending the reunion with you, but I’m just not sure how that would work. I’ll be there at the beginning of August though. LOL

6. margaretfeinberg June 15, 2012 at 1:23 pm - Reply

beautiful! Your love for your father is written in every section, even your wedding photo (in which you both look radiant!)

• Nicole June 15, 2012 at 2:30 pm - Reply

Thanks, Margaret!!!! We both think the other is pretty spectacular!!!
      Big hug to you and the family.

7. Nicole June 15, 2012 at 2:34 pm - Reply

Dad’s are awesome. Glad you have a great one!

• Nicole June 15, 2012 at 3:01 pm - Reply

Hey Nicole, great name by the way! Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog, I hope you’ll visit again soon.

8. Mary Elizabeth Loehr June 15, 2012 at 4:10 pm - Reply

Well said Nicole!!! They are a great couple!!!

• Nicole June 15, 2012 at 4:12 pm - Reply

Thank you, I think so too!!!!

9. Rick. Miller June 17, 2012 at 6:23 am - Reply

Great tribute! Sounds like my kind of Guy. Even the bikini top!

• Nicole June 17, 2012 at 7:36 am - Reply

Thank you, Rick! My dad is definitely a great guy and that bikini top, well, get funnier every time I see that photo! Mom and I coordinated a *SURPRISE* 60th birthday party for him last year and that picture was on the cake … unfortunately the cake decorator misspelled *BITRDAY*. Go figure!

I hope you have a wonderful father’s day, spent with those you love.

10. Megan Wilson (@cattlecupcakes) June 28, 2012 at 3:07 pm - Reply

Hi Nicole! It’s Megan from Cattle and Cupcakes. This post brought me to tears! What a wonderful, wonderful father you have!!! I’m envious! How very special.

• Nicole June 28, 2012 at 3:10 pm - Reply

Awww Megan, thank you. He’s got so much love, there’s plenty of share. My parents are great, if you’re ever in Webster County, you should stop by!!!!!!

Big hug,