Education {it’s not what it was 10 years ago}

Last week, I opened the mailbox and discovered an envelope addressed from Kentucky. Inside was information on my upcoming 10-year high school reunion. While I’m looking forward to the event, I’m sad thinking how much education has changed. Let’s walk down memory. Consider these things that I either did, or experienced, and hopefully you did too:

Read a clock.

Awww, the giant yellow “Judy” clock! All of my early elementary school teachers had one of these in their classroom. The big hand had a handle that was easy to move around and this is exactly how I learned to read a (non-digital) clock.

Balance a checkbook.

I admit, I’m grateful for online banking and its convenience. But, if push comes to shove, I know how to record entries into a check register and properly balance my account.

Write in cursive.

Whether or not I can calculate the value of x, I know how to write in cursive. My teachers wrote in cursive, and it was always so neat and perfect. My Dad has incredible penmanship as well, he writes calligraphy too. Thus, I’m one blessed girl with really great handwriting!

I support the teachers who see the value in teaching handwriting. I think it improves reading, writing and fine motor skills in young children.

My. Very. Educated. Mother. Just. Served. Us. Nine. Pizzas.

If Pluto is not a planet, there are lots of hungry folks waiting for their pizza! In all seriousness, I learned the order of the planets in our solar system with this mnemonic.

MVEMJSUNP stands for Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupitar, Saturn, Uranus (tee hee hee), and Pluto.

Pluto is, and will always be, a planet.

Library Research and the Dewey Decimal System

Students need to log off the Internet. Move over Google! They need to dust off those book jackets and RESPECT paper research materials. They need to suffer the sting of a paper cut from thumbing through an encyclopedia or dictionary. They need to discover the Dewey Decimal System to catalog library books and organize microfilms. Oh yeah, that’s good stuff.

Sentence Diagramming

If this is a foreign concept to you, I’m sorry for your loss. I’m almost 30 years old and I still circle, underline, and highlight text while reading. It’s a habit that I don’t intend to break. I can identify the subject, predicate, nouns, verbs, and prepositional phrases like a language arts champion!

Clapping chalkboard erasers (and coughing afterwards)

As an educator, I’ve enjoyed using smart boards and dry-erase boards in the classroom. But there’s nothing better (or more hazardous to one’s health!) than clapping two chalkboard erasers together! C’mon, admit it, you tapped the erasers on the board just to erase it again.

Sitting through a lecture and being responsible for writing copious notes

Taking notes helps you learn and develop your own ideas … not to mention the attentiveness and listening skills required.

Leave a comment and tell me what YOU remember from your education that students are missing today.

By |2012-05-23T06:00:58+00:00May 23rd, 2012|Blog|9 Comments

9 Comments

1. Celeste Zachry May 23, 2012 at 7:19 am - Reply

I’ll tell you what I did and that’s missing… I behaved and paid attention because I knew my parents would whip my butt otherwise!

• Nicole May 23, 2012 at 8:18 am - Reply

Celeste, you’re so RIGHT. I still behave (for the most part – tee hee hee) as if my Dad will give me “the look” if I misbehave. You know what my parents taught me by example: RESPECT. It goes a long way!

• Melinda Jones May 23, 2012 at 5:59 pm - Reply

I love the education stuff.

• Nicole May 24, 2012 at 9:22 am - Reply

I finally found you on Facebook, Auntie Wheezer!!!!!!! I miss you dearly, we are over due for a sushi lunch. Big hug to you!
          xox,
          Nicole

2. Suzan May 23, 2012 at 5:58 pm - Reply

I can’t believe it’s been 10 years since you graduated from high school! You know what I am sad about? They aren’t even teaching cursive writing anymore! It will become a lost art. I loved teaching the little 2nd graders how to write! I used the Palmer Method and the kids loved it! Oh, well.

• Nicole May 24, 2012 at 9:29 am - Reply

Mrs. Mabry,

I’m getting old. HA! Actually, I am old because the triplets I used to babysit all the time are now graduating from high school. Last summer, while I was visiting in Kentucky, I had dinner with them and one of the girls drove all of us in her car. Sitting in the passenger seat I suddenly realized the irony of the situation. The babies, the toddlers, the kiddos I used to drive all over creation with are now driving ME …… strange!!!

On a serious note, it really saddens me about cursive writing. I did several long-term substitute assignments this year in middle school for teachers with new babies. During spring registration, not one of my 7th grade students *SIGNED* their name in cursive on the registration form. It specifically said SIGNATURE and all of them PRINTED their name. Sad.

N

3. Tammy May 24, 2012 at 8:18 am - Reply

This was a pleasant walk down my memory lane of education. The mix of technology and “old school” methods seems to be the perfect blend. I am also an advocate of continuing to teach cursive writing as it definitely improves motor skills.

4. […] this week, I posted this about changes in the education system since I’ve been in school. It’s obvious […]

5. […] | the good ol’ days| […]