An Evening in Kentucky (before and after)

In between running the vacuum, dusting the furniture, emptying the dishwasher, folding clothes, mopping the hardwood floors, and scrubbing toilets today, I found some pictures from a trip I took to Kentucky last summer. It was strictly by chance that I found these files because they were poorly labeled and buried in folders hidden away on my laptop. (Note to self: you really need to get your photos organized … asap!)

I took this photo one late afternoon at a friend’s house, located on a hunting lodge in western Kentucky. The home includes a very large upper deck with spectacular views of a lake and hunting grounds. It’s one of my favorite places to visit and sit in solitude. Every once in a while large hawks will sweep down and catch a fish or, if you’re lucky, deer will appear from the woods and drink at the water’s edge. Unfortunately, my original photo looks terrible.

See?

The photo is over-exposed and everything is washed out. It screams HELP ME!

I put my big girl panties on and opened the original file (RAW format) in Photoshop and played around with the settings. I’m not comfortable (or knowledgeable) with Photoshop.
I don’t know what all of the settings and buttons mean, and, I’m afraid I’ll do something and lose the original file. I’m obviously a skeerdie-cat when it comes to Photoshop. I can’t help it.

In my juvenile attempts, I adjusted four settings to the photo:

1. Decreased the exposure
  2. Decreased the brightness
  3. Increased the vibrance
  4. Increased the saturation

After doing these four things, I think the photo looks better. What do you think?

The water and sky are actually blue and they contrast with the green foliage. The sun setting provides nice golden tones too.

Do you think this photo is frame-worthy?

It definitely makes me miss home. I’ve got to schedule a trip to Kentucky soon.

Until then,

Nicole

By |2012-05-10T20:05:41+00:00May 10th, 2012|Blog|0 Comments

1. I love the picture. It looks so peaceful!

• Nicole May 10, 2012 at 9:00 pm - Reply

Thank you, Carolina! Peaceful is an excellent way to describe this place, it’s so serene!!!!

Hugs,
      Nicole

2. wilma May 10, 2012 at 9:25 pm - Reply

I’ve been on that deck, seeing that lake… Your mom took me there with her one day while we were staying with them last summer.. That place is so awesome.. It really is peaceful and serene
    xo
    Wilma

• Nicole May 10, 2012 at 9:35 pm - Reply

Wilma, I’m glad Mom took you over there. It’s a beautiful place.

3. wilma May 10, 2012 at 9:25 pm - Reply

xo
    Wilma

• Nicole May 10, 2012 at 9:35 pm - Reply

Wilma, I’m glad Mom took you over there. It’s a beautiful place.

4. Michele Craddock May 11, 2012 at 12:16 am - Reply

Girl, you got this! You just have to believe in yourself, your artistic eye and above all your vision (artistic and regular). Love ya. Keep sharing cuz I like what you are doing

• Nicole May 11, 2012 at 7:28 am - Reply

Awww, thank you, Michele! Lately, I’ve been in a photo “funk” because I’ve been so frustrated with the product but it just takes practice, practice, and more practice! Love ya!

5. Michele Craddock May 11, 2012 at 12:16 am - Reply