Mama Bird’s nest (an update)

If you’ve been following along the past few days, you know Husband and I have a killdeer nest along the edge of our driveway, between the house and barn. Last Sunday, I posted this about locating the nest for the first time. Inside the nest, were two eggs.

Sunday, April 22 ….. two eggs

While mowing Tuesday, I discovered Mama Bird had laid another egg.

Tuesday, April 24 …. three eggs

Last night, I returned from church and Husband was outside talking to someone he had sold an implement to. The man and I exchanged pleasantries (hey, how are you and fine, thanks) and I stood outside and listened to their conversation. I couldn’t tell you what they were talking about, I wasn’t paying attention! Before cranking his truck, I asked him ~ very politely ~ to stay in the grass on the LEFT side to avoid the precious Mama Bird nest located on the right. He laughed (rude!!!) and said, “Yeah, he {Husband} already told me.”

Fantastic! I was relieved and watched VERY protectively as he drove away.

Husband, holding a flashlight, said, “Come here, I want to show you something.” We began walking towards the nest and I got this uneasy feeling. I was afraid something had happened while I was at Wednesday night Bible study. Instead, I got another surprise.

There were FOUR eggs in the nest!!!!!!

I couldn’t believe it. Interestingly, when I threw food scraps out around 4:00pm, there were still three eggs in the nest. I made guacamole for church group and tossed the avocado peelings, tomato and jalapeno seeds, and cilantro stems in the trees …. the lime went down the kitchen disposal, as it and lemons are excellent cleaning agents for a garbage disposal – the citrus smell is amazing too. That’s your free tip of the week. You’re welcome.

This morning, I went outside to see the nest in daylight. I cannot tell the difference between Mama Bird and Papa Bird, but only one was roosting when I went outside and took this picture.

After a brief web search about killdeer birds and their nesting habits last night, I learned the incubation period for eggs lasts 22-28 days. If everything goes well, we should have Baby Birds before the end of May. Yeah! I also learned that the male killdeer uses their tiny legs to “scoop” out a bowl-like place in grass, dirt, or gravel for the female to lay her eggs. And, when they have the option, they prefer light-colored rocks and pebbles. Luckily, our driveway has white rock. A study completed by bird-people concluded this …. not me. I’m still intrigued how Mama Bird lays a new egg every day or so. She’s so tiny, where are they coming from?! Seriously, do you know? Please tell me. I know about the birds-and-the-bees, but this Mama Bird and egg-laying process fascinates me!

Until tomorrow,

Mama Bird & The Human Protector

By | 2012-04-26T11:30:35+00:00 April 26th, 2012|Blog|12 Comments

12 Comments

1. Megan McBride April 26, 2012 at 3:20 pm - Reply

May I suggest putting fire ant bait around the nest at a distance. Fire ants are the #1 cause of unhatched eggs not making it through gestation. Also have you thought about names… Lol

• Nicole April 26, 2012 at 3:23 pm - Reply

OH.MY.GOSH
      Megan, thank you! There is a small fire ant mound several feet from the nest. I’m going outside RIGHT NOW to put out bait. You’re a lifesaver! You’re officially the baby bird’s godmother!!!!!

• Megan McBride April 26, 2012 at 6:11 pm - Reply

Awesome thanks for the honor. I wonder if I could add that to my resume 🙂

2. Megan McBride April 26, 2012 at 3:20 pm - Reply

• Nicole April 26, 2012 at 3:23 pm - Reply

OH.MY.GOSH

• Megan McBride April 26, 2012 at 6:11 pm - Reply

Awesome thanks for the honor. I wonder if I could add that to my resume 🙂

3. Greg Edwards April 26, 2012 at 9:56 pm - Reply

Nicole, your Mother and I went to Rural King and saw several troughs of chicks, they were so cute and fuzzy. Some where yellow and some were black. We decided if we bought a half dozen (the least Rural King would sell), we would leave them on the doorstep of Brandy and Heath and let the girls have a party. We would drop them off at the door, ring the bell, and run like hell………….

4. Greg Edwards April 26, 2012 at 9:56 pm - Reply

5. barb19 April 26, 2012 at 11:58 pm - Reply

Oh my gosh, now you have FOUR eggs! Good tip about the fire ant bait, we want to see these chicks hatch safe and healthy!

• Nicole April 27, 2012 at 7:59 am - Reply

Yes Barb, we have FOUR eggs …….. and now four eggs are safely protected by a hefty ring of fire ant bait that will “hopefully” keep the pesky irritants away for a long time. I absolutely DESPISE fire ants, one of the many things I was introduced to when I arrived to Texas via trial-by-fire. I walked over a mound once and my ankles, toes, and legs were covered in bites and blisters. I was in pain for weeks. Ughhhhh I despise fire ants!!!

6. barb19 April 26, 2012 at 11:58 pm - Reply