The Art of Mowing (and a surprise!!!!)

Have you been outside lately? It’s absolutely gorgeous. Well, at least in Joshua, Texas it’s beautiful. Husband offered to mow the yard last night, but I protested and told him I would do it. Because, you know, I’m nice like that. I think I finally realized WHY Husband prefers to mow: it takes me a looooong time to do it.

I’m not too particular about most things — well, except closing doors, my handwriting, sweet tea, knife skills, AND straight lines in the yard. It’s my Daddy’s fault. Growing up, we had a HUGE yard and it was very meticulously mowed. Sometimes, he would get extra fancy and create a criss-cross pattern. It was beautiful and any golf course or baseball field would be envious. Well, jealous until I messed up Daddy’s artwork with the tracks left by my golf cart.

Photo courtesy of Google images.

Nowadays, I’m happy if the grass is green. Since we’ve had ample rainfall this spring, it’s definitely green and requires mowing at least once a week. Along the front and side of our house is a curved sidewalk, plus several trees. Needless to say, there are no SQUARED areas for me to have perfectly straight lines. It drives me nuts.

Excuse my very dirty and dusty mower. It needs a bath worse than Blue. Geesh.

I love our front porch. I really do. But the curved sidewalk causes me much stress when it comes to mowing and straight lines.

For several years now, Husband and I have not mowed the entire lot of land that surrounds our house. It would take FOR-ever and it’s really not necessary. He uses his big tractor and shredder to mow the pasture and the plot between our house and county road. Doing this, however, creates a “curve” in my mowing job. STRESS!!!!

I’m pretty sure I mowed this part of the yard at least twice, maybe three times, and probably consumed an extra gallon (or five) of gas. I couldn’t help myself ….. I see open space and it yells STRAIGHT LINES! STRAIGHT LINES! to me. Really, I hear voices in my head.

Oh gosh, I just admitted to hearing voices.

Never mind.

As I was mowing, I noticed that Mama Bird was sitting near the spot where I knew the two eggs were. I grabbed my camera and attached the zoom lens, trying to get as close to Mama Bird and The Nest as possible.

Once I got within 30 feet from Mama Bird, she started walking towards the grass. I was thankful because I have a little surprise for y’all:

Yep, count them …. one … two … we have THREE eggs!!!!! She must have laid another egg sometime last night or this morning. That’s exciting stuff.

The voices in my head are telling me to fold the towels in the dryer.

Over and out.

Obsessive-Straight-Line-Mower

By | 2012-04-24T12:58:20+00:00 April 24th, 2012|Blog|0 Comments

1. wilma April 24, 2012 at 1:17 pm - Reply

Bet you’re dying to try out your mom’s new mower when you go home to Ky…I love your yard and your house.. especially that covered porch.. sure can see us two sitting there enjoying a glass of ice tea.

xo
    wilma

• Nicole April 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm - Reply

C’mon down to Texas, Wilma, we’d love to have you and Fred and the motorhome … sweet tea is a requirement, you know … course we’d have to get one of those fancy-schmancy plugs like Dad has at The Shop!!!!! I’m curious to know if Mom likes that new mower. Personally, when I’m on a zero-turner all I do is go in circles. BUT, I bet I could learn to make STRAIGHT LINES in my yard. But Mom and Dad have more trees and hills and “obstructions” than I do here. STRESS!!!

Hugs,
      Nicole

2. wilma April 24, 2012 at 1:17 pm - Reply

xo
    wilma

• Nicole April 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm - Reply

Hugs,
      Nicole

3. lovelylici1986 April 24, 2012 at 4:25 pm - Reply

How cool! The plaid pattern. Love it.
    Your house looks so sweet! And lots of lawn. Niiiiice. Do you have any big trees to sit under?
    Those eggs are VERY cool looking!

• Nicole April 24, 2012 at 4:47 pm - Reply

I love our home too, we’re so incredibly blessed. We have trees along the perimeter of our property, and two live oaks in the front that have grown considerably in the five years we’ve lived here. I’d say the trees are 10 years old, so hopefully by the time I’m 50 they’ll be nice and big and perfect for a tree swing. Until then, the front porch works nicely! The eggs are WAY cool, I’ve never seen an egg like these. I hope the babies are growing so I can see them after they’ve hatched. Mama Bird is a good protector, I love knowing “new life” is emerging on our place.

Hugs,
      Nicole

4. lovelylici1986 April 24, 2012 at 4:25 pm - Reply

How cool! The plaid pattern. Love it.
    Those eggs are VERY cool looking!

5. barb19 April 24, 2012 at 5:17 pm - Reply

I love the curved line of your footpath Nicole – and I love your house! I can just imagine you two sitting on that gorgeous front porch, sipping your sweet, iced tea . . . ahhh, . contentment!
    Another egg, wow – now you have three to keep your eye on. It will be awesome to see the new life eventually emerge – and it’s all happening on your property; that’s so cool!

• Nicole April 24, 2012 at 5:35 pm - Reply

Thank you, Barb. We are very blessed to have this great home with room to roam and plenty of room for Blue too! The front porch and large kitchen sold me five years ago, they are highlights of this place and great spaces! The eggs are making me grin from ear-to-ear, I’m so glad Mama Bird laid her eggs here. I just hope the eggs stay safe. Yeah!!!

Best,
      Nicole

6. barb19 April 24, 2012 at 5:17 pm - Reply

• Nicole April 24, 2012 at 5:35 pm - Reply

Best,
      Nicole

7. Sunshine April 24, 2012 at 7:44 pm - Reply

A fun post Nicole! Riding lawn mowers are such a blessing and wow, you had three surprise blessings afterwards! Thanks for sharing . . . 🙂

• Nicole April 24, 2012 at 7:59 pm - Reply

Thanks, Sunshine! The weather has been sooooo nice lately, it was really nice to mow and be outside. As for the eggs, I’m anxiously awaiting for the arrival of the Baby Birdies!!!

Best,
      Nicole

• Sunshine April 24, 2012 at 8:34 pm - Reply

Will be waiting like friends who wait outside the hospital nursery as a baby is being delivered . . . I can’t wait to see the baby bird pictures!! 🙂

8. Sunshine April 24, 2012 at 7:44 pm - Reply

• Nicole April 24, 2012 at 7:59 pm - Reply

Best,
      Nicole

• Sunshine April 24, 2012 at 8:34 pm - Reply

9. Terri Curry April 24, 2012 at 10:00 pm - Reply

One of the greatest things about spring is the fun surprise of finding babies in unexpected places. We found a bunny nest at the base of a large oak tree a couple of weeks ago. Javi was “weed eating” (what a strange verb) when he noticed the grass was literally jumping up and down. Dad carefully moved dried grass, twigs, and a thick layer of rabbit fur to find a large hole full of 5 little baby bunnies, maybe 3 weeks old. Cutest things I’ve ever seen!!! They had thought Mama was arriving with dinner. A few days later, the mama moved them to a more secure location, and no doubt away from the prying eyes of us human menaces. Looking forward to your babies.

• Nicole April 24, 2012 at 10:04 pm - Reply

Baby bunnies ……. we probably have some of those hidden somewhere around here, I swear there is a entire HERD of bunnies hopping around here! hahahaha

10. Terri Curry April 24, 2012 at 10:00 pm - Reply

• Nicole April 24, 2012 at 10:04 pm - Reply

11. Michele Craddock April 24, 2012 at 11:16 pm - Reply

Nicole, since you love mowing so much come on down the road and mow to your hearts content. You can make patterns or whatever. David would be thrilled to have some help with the mowing. I’ll even bring you sweet tea on ice whenever you want. When your done we can swing on the hammock under our big ole trees and admire the lines in the yard as we sip our sweet tea. Love you girl and can’t wait to see you baby birds!

• Nicole April 24, 2012 at 11:21 pm - Reply

Michelle, you are a very, VERY funny girl!!!! I’m joining “the boys” for breakfast tomorrow morning ……. I’ll ask David Dearest if he needs help mowing! Hugs!
      Love,